“Our new favorite sushi spot in Des Moines!”
Review of Akebono515

Akebono515
Ranked #78 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Reviewed 9 April 2016

This was our first visit, and based on the large crowd ahead of us we were apprehensive about the wait - which turned into 30 minutes. But once seated and we tasted our appetizers, the wait time faded because all we could think about was how fantastic the food was. We were also pleasantly surprised to receive soup and salad as part of our order of sushi rolls and nigiri. Not only was all of our food very fresh, flavorful and well presented, but our waiter Nick made our first time experience a real joy with his recommendations, tips and especially top rate service skills. Ask for him! We're new to Des Moines and have been searching for our favorite sushi place - we just found it. Noisy, crowded, high energy... definitely. And we'll be back again and again whenever we need that "sushi fix".

1  Thank HappyRock75

Reviewed 9 April 2016

My experience here was amazing! Especially for being in the middle of Iowa. Going in I thought I would only have sashimi to choose from as I am currently on a restrictive grain free diet. I was surprised and delighted to find their conscious roll wrapped in cucumber rather than with rice. Along with our sushi, not only did we receive some tasty miso soup, but also a salad. Everything was reasonably priced and the ambiance made this a really wonderful overall experience.

1  Thank meishaberg
Reviewed 9 February 2016

Whenever we are craving sushi Akebono is always where we end up! The atmosphere and fresh tasting sushi is hard to beat!

Reviewed 25 January 2016 via mobile

I hadn't heard of Akebono until this past summer when a friend said it was a great spot. So I went with a friend to check it out. It's not an easy to spot restaurant and they don't advertise. Now I see they don't need to. It was very busy Sat evening so we sat at the bar for quicker seating. The bartender was busy but attentive. I ordered a craft beer (Left Hand Stout) and my friend had the house chardonnay, both good choices.
We started with dumplings; they had a great filling! Our entrees came with salad and miso soup, loved the soup, salad was simple but did have a nice ginger dressing.
I ordered the Sumo Ramen which includes pork belly, pulled pork, kale, and a poached egg! The broth was wonderful and the whole bowl is worth going back for. My friend enjoyed the sushi, I never tried it but it looked great. I'll definitely be going back!

Reviewed 22 January 2016

The sushi menu has quite a variety of sushi, ranging from tempura to quite different ones (The Rolling Pig for example has bacon on the top of it). Everything was very good there, we went during happy hour which is 4-6 where they have $4 appetizers and a selection of $4 drinks as well. We enjoyed the Italian mojitos and had the mussels for our appetizer...equally as delicious! We also ended the night with moshi ice cream, where you get two very small balls of ice cream, one green tea flavored and the other chocolate. It was nice to try it!The restaurant itself is somewhat on the smaller side, but nice. Customers can choose where ever they want to sit. The wait staff was very kind as well!