All reviews train tracks parking garage basketball court an extended stay loading and unloading farmers market science center ball game fire pit bedroom suite iowa cubs get togethers pedestrian bridge center courtyard principal park single night baseball stadium
Reviewed 12 June 2018

I recently booked a night here after my normal property had sold out. I was pleasantly surprised! The location is great, rooms are nice and the staff was friendly. I'll put this place in my DSM rotation.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
1  Thank James L
SocialMediaHawkeye, General Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2018

Thank you for taking a chance on us! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and will return! If there is something that we can do for you while you are here please feel free to let us know!

Reviewed 4 June 2018

I've never stayed at this location, but have next door at the Hampton Inn and Suites, owned by the same family. It's newer construction, large suites, with all the amenities of home, including stove, microwave, oven, fridge, garbage disposal, and laundry downstairs. Plus a pool and hot tub. All within walking distance of downtown and the East Village. The river's right across the street and the Capitol building gleams in the distance on the hill. Farmer's market on Saturday is hop, skip and a jump. Great restaurants abound. Parking next door is $15/night. No problems. No worries. I did hear the cleaning crew next door one early morning, but being on the top floor, it was very quiet. When I checked in I asked for a room far from the ice machine and elevator. Sadly, the room was directly opposite the ice, so when I went back down, she sent me up to the 5th floor, where I was away from almost everything! I'd stay again. Two TV's, comfy king bed, great views, and convenient location! Great for solo, couples, or families!

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room, away from ice/vending/elevators!
  • Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo

Thank you for your detailed review of our property, location, and team. If there is anything that we can do for you when you return please feel free to let us know!

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Meh. For the price, this hotel and the location was fine. But our “room with a great view” looked right into the parking garage and had no natural sunlight. Hallway carpets were dated. Room was clean and the staff was very nice. Hot water in the shower took a good 10 minutes and there’s no door to the shower so water goes everywhere. We stay downtown Des Moines several times a year and I will book elsewhere next time.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
SocialMediaHawkeye, General Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience with us through your review. I am terribly sorry that you were not 100% Satisfied with your stay. If there is anything that I can do for you please feel free to reach out to me directly at the hotel.

-Brian

Reviewed 13 May 2018 via mobile

Would give it a 4 1/2 if had the choice. This was the first time I ever used Hotwire. After I purchased the unnamed 3-star downtown hotel it ended up being this Residence Inn. I was pretty upset because this is an extended stay hotel. I figured it would not be very good. We actually went into the Hampton Inn by accident, as these two hotels seem to be one building. The Hampton had a really lovely lobby. So we left with a concern of what we would find next door. We found the correct entrance and walked through a cloud of smoke from an employee smoking outside the entrance. The lobby was nice but not as nice as the other. Also saw the railroad tracks. We were uneasy. Check-in was a breeze and attendant was courteous. Had to pay $15 for parking in the garage connected to both hotels. That's what you expect in a downtown area. Getting to our room was weird finding our hotel purple door in the parking garage, then winding through the hall but once we found our room, we were impressed. Comfortable and clean. Nice Kitchen area, comfy couch, and bed, nice bathroom with extra mirror and vanity outside the bathroom. We were not on the street side but looked out over the center courtyard. There we saw a really nice 1/2 basketball court and seating area. Pool area was nicely kept with a hot tub. Pool towel were pretty good not too small. We were able to swim by ourselves for over an hour. Once others arrived it became pretty loud in there. But that's what kids do! Great location to walk to downtown businesses, restaurants and the Saturday Farmer's Market and Science Center. We walked to Blaze Pizza and had a nice time there. Not very far away. Lots of night life in this area. But-Every time we went through the front door a different employee was smoking! Yuck. Also, bed was great but the four pillows were very fat and we don't like that type of pillow--so wish we would have had a skinnier choice instead of all being that way or brought our own. We did hear the train once but never really heard or noticed again. Ladies that attend the breakfast area were very nice, as were the other desk attendance and staff we encountered during our stay. Would I stay here again? Probably. I don't think I would have ever chosen this hotel on my own. Hotwire chose it for us and I was pleasantly surprised.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and others. I will make sure to talk with the staff about our designated smoking areas that we have on property and make sure that that improves in the future.

If there is ever anything that we can do for you please feel free to let us know.

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

This hotel is better on paper than it is in reality. The rooms are spacious and well equipped; two hot plates, microwave, fridge/freezer, coffee machine, comfy bed, etc. All great until ... .

The rooms on the front overlook the railway line that runs down the middle of the road outside, the goods train comes through between 7-8 in the morning and the same in the evening with all horns blasting, a great wake up call whether you want it or not, even on the weekend.

My room was not serviced and I heard others make the same complaint. The internet is terrible, picture of speed test attached showing 1.7 down and 1.8 up.

The staff are world class at apologising.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled on business
SocialMediaHawkeye, General Manager at Residence Inn Des Moines Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others through TripAdvisor. I am terribly sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. While we do have a great location to all the Downtown activities as you stated we are right next to the train tracks that run the entire length of the downtown area.

If there is anything else that you would like to discuss in regards to your stay I invite you to reach out to me directly at the property.