“Royal Palm Beach Club”

Royal Palm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cole Bay
Reviewed 29 July 2008

The Royal Palm Beach Club is a wonderful place to stay as it is newly remodeled and clean. Upon our arrival, the front desk was friendly and helpful, and complimentary guava punch (with or without rum) was available. The bellboy was extremely efficient and answered many of our questions. Every room has a 180 degree view of the bay. There are many restaurants within walking distance, but to see the entire island, you will need a car.

Reviewed 28 July 2008

This was the second time we stayed at the Royal Palm. I requested an upper floor this time so we could get a better view and my request was granted (5th floor) I got a lot of excersise that week walking up and down those stairs! The elevator is broken and has been for several months but when I asked about it they said it just broke and would be repaired soon. I think they are telling stories - but we can track that on these reviews.
Our room was clean we had no problems with the mosquitos like others have written about (our stay was July 9-July 18) and we were out at night. The hot water and the air conditioning was out for 3 day that we were there. THe day we left it started working again. We were not offered anything for our trouble which bothers me when we pay so much to stay there. No elevator and no hot water and no air conditioning is not good. The weird thing is we didn't have air conditioning back in October when we stayed there either (again it was out for a few days but the hot water was fine and both of the elevators were working then) I also agree with most of the other reviews that the people that work at RP could use some classes on hospitality. Diamond should take note of this as I am an owner and find that rude or unhelpful staff is very aggrivating. Not to say everyone on is that way but in my mind NO ONE should be that way. There is free internet use at the bar on the 2nd floor WHEN it's working. It was out the first few days and they don't open until 4 in the afternoon. You also need to buy a drink to get the code. My son discovered if he went to the 3rd floor above the bar he could get the signal so he sat out there to chat with his friends at night. RP needs to get internet throughout the resort. There is an internet cafe right outside the lobby which is open from 9-8 for 35.00 for the week you can use their computers for a total of 10 hours or you can bring your own laptop and have unlimited hours. You can also rent a cell phone two doors down from Sharon. $28.00 got me a cell phone with a half hours worth of minutes for the week. You can pay $10 for each half hour. It is much cheaper to use that phone then my cell phone. You can rent scuba gear the next door down (Aqua Marine) we brought our own bwn but I rent the flotation belt for the week which was $15.00) We ate at most of the nearby restaurants Lee's wasn't that good and the wait was very long, The Harbour Queen had all you could eat ribs which were great. I wish we could have gone twice. The boathouse was very good and the Wharf was a nice place to eat. We had Pizza at the pizza gallery which was Ok. We had lunch at the Royal Palm twice, it was OK.
We visited Orient Beach and ate at a great little Mexican place. It was so good and the man running the place was very friendly, we rented our beach chairs & umbrellas from him ($7 a chair which included umbrella and a free drink, well worth it) Orient is on the French side and he excepted $1 for $1 which is great. We did the $10.00 sunset cruise that the RP offers which is basically a "lets get smashed"cruise. It is fun and there were kids on the boat but just beware that the rum and drinks are free and several people take advantage of that. It is a nice little trip and I would recommend it even if you don't drink. We did the trip to Anguilla and I wasn't happy with it. We went last year and it was much better they went to Shoal bay last time, this time they brought us to Sand Island. I would not recommend this trip ask before you buy where they are going to take you. You might want to contact Bluebeard 3 people for the good trip. If you have questions about this please e-mail me.
We did the presentation which they DO NOT press on you but I like going to them since I am aleady an owner but always seem to learn something new when I attend. We received $100 toward the Anguilla trip for attending. I can see where people can get pressured into buying but if you can't afford it just say NO. The salespeople I have dealt with there have been very nice.
All in all I probably will not stay at the RP again but try the sister hotel The Flamingo. St. Martin is a nice island but has not completely recovered from the hurricane that hit them in 1999. The government is rich and the people are poor, yes there are a lot of shacks and dirty places but this is not the usa. I did see a bit of improvement since Oct, but the island has a long way to go. The roads are in horrible condition and you need to be careful when driving but I do recommend renting a car to see the island, there is a lot to see and a lot to do but you need to leave the property to do it. If anyone has any questions regarding the island or places to eat or about RP please feel free to ask.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2008

This is my 6th time visiting St. Martin. I have stayed at The Pelican, The Flamingo, The Sapphire Beach Club & most recently The Royal Palm Beach.

I will start with the cons first : Bugs, Bugs, Bugs. I have never had this problem ever. Our room (2 bedroom) was infested with mosquitos. I was killing them while sitting on the toilet. They were under the sheets etc. Our doors & windows were always closed. We also had some other roach type insects roaming around. I just felt this could have been taken care of by a good extermination program.

The mattress & bedding was a little shabby & probably need to be replaced.

The other problem was we didn't have a/c for the first 4 days of our trip or hot water. They were doing a major renovation with their a/c units. It wasn't that bad but just a little annoying.

The Pool is very small, but who really cares about a pool when you have the entire Caribbean to swim in. You can swim in a pool anytime.

The Pros:
The unit was beautiful & very well maintained other than the bedding. The furniture looked new. Granite counter tops, nicely tiled bathrooms. Bathrooms looked pretty new. Not moldy at all.

The staff was very friendly & the bar on the 2nd floor was gorgeous & such a nice place to hang out. Parking was great & the overall shops were great. Go see Crazy Selma to rent your snorkel gear! She is the best.

I had gotten very badly burned & called downstairs to find out where I can purchase aloe gel. The young man I spoke with at the front desk was named Jessie James. He told me what shop to go to on property & we hung up. As soon as I hung up my phone rang & it was Mr. Jessie James from the front desk. He offered to bring me aloe from his home if I could wait till 2:00pm the following day when he started his work day. I said sure.

Well exactly at 2:00pm my phone rang & he had brought the biggest leaves of aloe I had ever seen all wrapped up in foil & bagged!!!

This young man is so sweet & so kind, to have offered something to a complete stranger from his own home, meant the world to me. That is what I call customer service. Jessie James went above & beyond to help out a complete stranger. The aloe relieved my pain in 20 minutes because of him. I am most grateful for his generosity & thoughtfulness. I will never forget him & will definitely visit him the next time I go back to St. Martin.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank crumbcake13
Reviewed 10 July 2008

My bf and I stayed at the Royal Palm last week and had a decent experience. We booked directly through the unit owner and it was a smooth transaction. When we arrived the computer system was down and no one was being assigned rooms, thankfully I had my confirmations and whatnot from the unit owner. It ended up being our saving grace and allowed us to get into the room instantly. The room was spacious 5th floor center over the pool.

However it does look like 1970 inside, in desperate need of a renovation. This is occuring at the Royal Palm and the Flamingo due to the purchase of them by Diamond International. The staff was definitly a little lack luster and even more so at night- almost like they had kids working the desk. The central bathroom on the lobby floor was never clean and always out of toilet paper- I continuously told the front desk and it was immeditely fixed.

The beach was definitly rocky, but had an awesome view of the new Pelican Marina Residences and other hotels, homes across the way. We never ate at the resturant only had some drinks- beer is beer.

The location of Royal Palm is excellent. Directly across is tons of resturants within walking distance. The drawbridge passage way is on the corner of the royal palm so the greatest things is that there is no neighbooring hotel in the right side.

Complaints- The cleaning staff only came one time the entire week and didnt clean anything. There was basically new towels and that was it. Only one elevator working- and it was EXTREMELY slow. Check out times- should be staggered the line waiting to check out was extremely long and the times were not explained to everyone correctly. We actually had till 12 but originally they told us 10, I found out it was 12 when I was checking out at 10. Would have been nice the extra two hours.

I would return simply based on location and really its a hotel, you are there to sleep and hit the pool. Go out an explore St. Maarten thats what its all about. Its a beautiful island.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shlinds
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We spent 10 days here and were happy with the 2 bedroom condo we had. The rooms were good sized and everything has just been renovated. The beach is nice and the pool is small so don't expect to swim laps. We were disappointed in the pool bar. They size of the drinks were small for $5.00. Happy Hour drinks were $2.50 the same small drinks. Get to the pool early if you want towels, they constantly run out by noon.
It's right accross the street from a bunch of restautrants if you want to dine out. They are nothing special, but are serviceable.
Given it's the Carribean & you never know what you're going to get we were happy to have gottent the Royal Palm for our time share exchange.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Grand Case Beach Club
#2 of 8 in Grand Case
4.0 km away
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Royal Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!