“average hotel”

Royal Palm Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Cole Bay
Reviewed 20 November 2010

stayed on 4th floor overlooking pool,had a great view of the beach and ocean,rooms are fair sized with full cooking facilities but we ate out every night as the location had many restaurants on doorstep.overall the hotel catered pretty well for us as there was only 2 people so we had enough towels. as diamond members we felt a bit let down by the amount of cleaning done in the rooms (3 times in 2 weeks)also the amount of staff on duty the pool bar and restaurant had 1 server at lunch time which had a lot of people leaving.the pool is not supervised so the rules are not heeded people drinking from glass bottles instead of using plastic.the free wi-fi in the pool area is good.in general we enjoyed the hotel would recommend the waterfront restaurant,skipjacks. the belmar has brilliant lobster lees diner does tasty grills

Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 November 2010

We just got back from a week at the Royal Palm and loved it! The RP is much better than the Flamingo and Pelican resorts, where we have also stayed. We had a 2 BR suite on the first floor, which was ideal access to the beach. The suite was excellent - top quality amenities and very clean. The patio was private and a great place to read and hang out. We loved the beach as it was much more relaxed than the Flamingo/Pelican beach. This was worth being at the RP in itself! Yes, there are rocks in the water, but go on the left side and it is fine. We didn't go to the restaurant as it had Karaoke when we went, but we enjoyed Lee's, Jimbo's (great food!) and Skip Jack's. Too bad Lotterie Farm was closed the week we were there. I say skip Maho, but others in our group liked it. Marigot was fun for breakfast crepes and shopping. Also loved L'aqualigne Spa at the Pelican.

The only detraction, as others have mentioned, is the unfriendly/unhelpful front desk help. The one young girl, in particular, should find a job that she enjoys at least a little bit! Wi-fi in the room would also be welcomed.

But this did not affect our enjoyment of the RP! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves there and wil be going back.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NYgal826
Reviewed 2 November 2010

We met my parents on the 2nd week of their 2 week rental at Royal Palm Beach. They had been moved next door from their original room mid stay, apparently in quite a rush with no warning. They were told that there were 3 levels of importance at this resort- owners, time sharers and renters. Since they were time sharers and owners (not quite sure what this means as you are a fractional owner as a time sharer) were coming in, they had to move NOW. Turns out the people in their original place were renters. The condos were identical and next door to each other so no idea why the move was necessary. The condo layout was nice and it was decorated "island tasteful". Bathrooms nice, beds comfortable. We paid for an extra cleaning mid week. The kitchen has a skillet, a dutch oven and a tiny sauce pan- no broiler pan, no cookie sheet, nothing to use in the oven. The refridgerator stopped working 3 times. The resort was timely in it's repairs but these places need an appliance upgrade and quick. We had to buy ice and throw out some food. Also odd was an ongoing message from the satallite TV service telling us to pay our bill within 48 hours and a nightly phone call from security around 7 pm telling us to lock up and pull the drapes. I never saw any sign of vandelism but anxiety after those nightly phone calls made enjoying the patio or beach after sunset impossible.
No sign of bedbugs whatsoever. The location is wonderful- great restaurants across the stree or within an easy walk. A slot and sports book casino that we walked to several times. The casino offered free grilled cheese sandwiches in the afternoon which I found amusing. Our condo was ground floor and just stepping out to the beach was great. The beach itself is a bit rocky, not terrible and great shell searching. It was VERY calm- great location for little kids. Very nice grocery just down the street. Yes groceries were more expensive than at home but I fully expected that on an island. Also, the island is VERY sleepy on Sunday. The grocery store was open however and we ate in.
All in all, I would recommend this resort but would mention all of the above. The location is ideal, the staff was ok with good attitudes (issues were with resort bureaucracy), appliances need replacing this year.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank Jane V
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I read many reviews posted here and on several other websites pertaining to this resort. I found them helpful, but I also try to keep an open mind. Upon arriving, I was pleasantly surprised. The outside of the resort looked to be very well maintained. The front desk is in an open-air lobby and the staff operates on island time, so be patient. The process wasn't extraordinarily long, but it did take some time to get checked in. One writer complained of mosquitoes... of course there are mosquitoes (and no-seeums), take some bug spray (we did). I am leery of bedbugs which I saw mentioned in several reviews, so we went in checking for them and found none. The rooms were newly renovated and both beds (and the sleep sofa) were very comfortable. The kitchen was stocked with very beautiful Cuisinart appliances and contained some of the best cookware/ dinnerware/ silverware I've ever seen at a resort. The icemaker in the freezer was a welcomed surprise. We packed and shipped over our breakfast and lunch foods (including eggs and bread) and bought dinner out every night. This worked out great for our group of six. Grocery store food costs are ridiculous! One bag of Lays potato chips which cost $2.50 here cost $5.69 there. One $.99 dozen eggs here cost $3.00. The food bar in the grocery store was over $10.00/lb., but cigarettes were only $2.50/pack and 1 liter of Patron was only $39 (CRAZY!!!)

The pool is very small and became very crowded so I passed on it. The beach is fine for sunbathing and is a shell collector’s dream! The water however, is full of very VERY large rocks. You should wear aqua-shoes and step very carefully when entering/exiting the water. There are better beaches nearby, so don’t let this discourage you from staying at RP.

I love St. Maarten and I loved this resort until the tropical storm blew in. I know it’s their rainy month, but I’d been there same time before and never had any problems with the weather. This storm had not been forecast prior to my arrival and when it came, it sat on the island for 2.5 days so we were stuck at the resort. Just to get a break from the room, we stopped by the jewelry store in the lobby and learned that the govt. had ordered a complete shut-down of the island at 3:00! I found it alarming that the resort apparently has no plan for disseminating emergency information. If we had been told in advance, we could've purchased groceries and prepared dinner in our room, instead, we had nothing but snacks that evening. It would've also been nice if the resort had offered some sort of activities just to get our attention off the storm and keep us from being trapped in our rooms. Fortunately I was traveling with people I like a lot (lol)! To make bad things worse, my room flooded (I was on the 3rd flr.!). I was told by the front desk that all rooms were flooded and to just put down towels. So for 2.5 days we contained the mini-flood with towels. I looked closely at the windows and discovered sizeable gaps that should've been calked a long time ago to prevent this from happening (I'll post pics when I find my cord (lol)). RP uses DirecTV which sucked on a good day and only brings in news from the NY area, no matter, the satellite went out, so we couldn't get that either… boy how I missed Al Roker!

So, all things considered, would I stay there again, yes, definitely. The housekeeping staff was wonderful and very friendly. It’s a resort, so they only provide cleaning once a week unless you pay for it. We were able to get extra towels and coffee with no problem at all. A tip and a smile go a long way (smile). We simply asked the housekeeping staff directly when we saw them in the hall, and they brought up extra towels when our room flooded. Aside from the weather, our trip was wonderful and we’re looking forward to returning and staying at RP.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank phynally
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Good location, many restaurants and bars within walking distance. Fairly nice beach, a lot of shells until you get out from shoreline. The hotel was very nice we had a two bedroom. The kitchen was well stocked with quality appliances. The bedrooms had private baths very nice. No signs of bed bugs as previously reported. Everything was clean and well maintained, unlike many timeshares I have stayed at. This is top quality for timeshares.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
8.1 km away
Princess Heights Hotel
Princess Heights Hotel
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond

Been to Royal Palm Beach Resort? Share your experiences!