“An amazing find!”

Baroncini
Ranked #9 of 275 Restaurants in Iowa City
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Chef Baroncini's philosophy of using fresh, seasonal, and local ingredients is represented in his contemporary Italian cuisine. Gianluca Baroncini graduated from the Italian national culinary institute in Verona, Italy, in 1991. He is the former Executive Chef of Terrazza Di Giulietta in Verona, Italy, executive chef of the Mauro's catering. He worked as Assistant chef at the Ristorante Il Desco, which received a two star Michelin guide prestigious award in Verona, Italy. Gianluca worked at the Tiberio's, Il Giardino, and as assistant chef du rang at the prestigious Galileo, fine dining Italian restaurant in Washington D.C..
Reviewed 23 March 2018

It’s not often I eat at a place and order an entree that I can’t pronounce but last nights visit to Baroncini Ristorante Italiano just changed that. I can’t believe its been there for 6 years and I’ve just now heard of it. If you haven't; either you need to try it. Immediately upon entry the decor was warm and inviting, elegant without being stuffy. I guess you could even say romantic. We were greeted warmly and throughout the evening our service was spectacular. I just love an engaged and knowledgeable wait staff.
It’s not often a salad makes one of my reviews because if a salad is not included with my meal I usually don’t order one. Theirs was not and my wife wanted to try one so we ordered their panzanella salad Traditional Italian bread salad with bread, tomato, onion, spinach, extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar and basil. I know salads are usually “light” even with the bread it was super light and refreshing. It has now joined the list of just two or three places that I can think of I’ll make an exception for where I will order a salad.
Usually when I try a new restaurant I rely heavily on the recommendation of the staff and when I asked our server what they were known and what was her favorite the first thing out of her mouth was the ANGNOLOTTI DI CARNE now I still can't pronounce it but she was able to roll it off her lips like she grew up in Italy my reply was I’ll have what she said. It consisted of a house made agnolotti pasta stuffed with beef and parmesan in a light sage and brown butter sauce. She had me at brown butter surprisingly it was the hint of sage that was the star of the dish. I was able to steal a few bites of my wife’s LASAGNE ALLA BOLOGNESE which was like no other Lasagne I’ve ever had as it had a crunchy panko type topping which provided a textural difference rarely found in a lasagne.
I always get excited when a review contains the words “I had the best ever” Baroncini Ristorante Italiano’s TORTA AL MASCARPONE cheesecake is hands down the best cheesecake I’ve ever had. It was the perfect balance of tart and sweet. Caramelizing the mascarpone was absolutely brilliant, it was like the most decadent creme brulee you’ll ever meet or eat but it was cheesecake? The fresh berries and strawberry sauce added a freshness to this amazing desert.
The meals I remember the most are the ones where my stomach is just plain happy afterwards and mine was happy for hours after leaving Baroncini Ristorante Italiano. I think I also had a restaurant first as when we were leaving one of the staff said chow! We can't’ wait to return, if for nothing else the mascarpone cheese cake

Reviewed 4 March 2018

My wife, daughter, and I, visited around 5:30pm on February 24th. We had reservations for that time and we were welcomed and seated right away. It was not too busy at that moment, but it got very busy throughout our visit. This was our first visit to Baroncini. I ordered the Cannelloni Alla Rossini. It looked good and it tasted good. I enjoyed this meal. Both my wife and daughter were very satisfied with the meals they chose. Our server was wonderful. We had a lovely night out at Baroncini. I would visit again.

1  Thank iowacityia
Reviewed 7 February 2018

Iowa City has a lot of restaurants. Most of them are targeted at the University of Iowa students. Baroncini is a genuine fine dining venue (but of course open to the students). Baroncini himself is from Italy, trained there and it really shows. We have eaten at many restaurants in Italy and few can compare to this one. The funny thing is many restaurants in Italy are serving things they think tourists want to eat whereas Baronciini is pure Italian.

1  Thank Rowland45
Reviewed 28 January 2018

I have had dinner at Baroncini twice - once with my daughter; then with my granddaughter. The food was exceptional; the atmosphere and service were elegant. A wonderful place for a special occasion, a quiet conversation or both.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

This very small bistro serves us Italian dishes that take you right back to Italy. They do an excellent job replicating the tastes and nuances of the Chef's native country. Not a huge menu, but always something for everyone and specials and features as ingredients available. Restaurant is very small, so you are always in close proximity of other guests, but the food and service make up for any crowding.

1  Thank 399benjaminm