“I drive 550 miles to eat here”

Northwestern Steakhouse
Ranked #3 of 86 Restaurants in Mason City
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 28 January 2018 via mobile

Well, I drive that far to visit my best friend but we ALWAYS come here when I’m in town. This is hands down the best steak I have ever had. It literally melts in your mouth. The Greek spaghetti is also phenomenal -something so simple, yet so delicious. I do think it’s odd how they do their reservations but when you’ve got steak that’s this amazing, you can do whatever you want and the people will come. I’ve been here probably 10 times over the past 15 years and it is always excellent. Any chance of expanding to Northwest Arkansas??

1  Thank Megan F

Reviewed 10 November 2017

How in the world can you give a one rating for this excellent restaurant when the only thing you complain about is the first come first serve policy ?? WE LOVE THIS PLACE!!
Our only regret is that we have to travel 100 miles round trip to enjoy it. We are visiting tomorrow night and will be celebrating my birthday with the Prime Rib, which I have not
been there on the particular night that they serve it--I am looking forward to it !! And as
far as the spaghetti goes, look around at the other tables --you won't see it with meat
sauce at all , some people's taste buds are different then others, so knock something you might not particularly care for. Enough said---this place , the employees, and the
food are beyond compare and far beyond reproach !

1  Thank royalkiesters
Reviewed 10 November 2017

Whether you have steak or fish, it is all amazing. The "naked noodles" are not to be missed as your side. Come hungry, but the place is small, so you might have to wait. Reservations are only taken for 6 or more. It is the best steak I have ever eaten.

1  Thank Gina B
Reviewed 31 October 2017

The gentlemen at Birdsall's recommended that we eat here since we were in town for the day. Very friendly staff and accommodated our party of 4. We were told to get the spaghetti with our meal. When I hear spaghetti, I think red sauce etc. Loved our salads and bread before the meal. The presentation of the steaks were bland and not very appealing. The flavor was different, but ok. It was a little too rich for our taste. We did not care for the spaghetti, it the same sauce they cook the steak in and then sprinkle the parm cheese, just not something I would order again. I would get the baked potato. I am still a sizzling steak and potato fan.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

This place was recommended by the lovely guys at Birdsall's. I'm not a steak person, and I didn't even want to eat here, but my husband really wanted to try it, so we tried it out. OH MY GOD, the only way I will ever eat filet mignon again is if we drive to Mason City to get it. Absolutely unbelievable meal. Even the baked potato was phenomenal! On a side note, a big thanks for having a nut-free menu!

1  Thank Stacie M