Open today: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
1900's Farm Dinner

We treated some visitors to dinner at the 1900's farm and it made for a week of conversation! These... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
TammisTravels
Ames, IA
Great educational tour.

Brought our entire junior class here and we had a great time. The kids learned a lot. Lots of fun... read more

Reviewed 6 November 2018
jolenevoga
Jewell, Iowa

All reviews tractor ride school groups different eras the barn des moines area period costume general store an absolute gem learning experience answer questions metro area field trip native americans great family place log cabin dirt trails baseball game
Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Two grand parents and two grandchildren ages 11 and 8. A wonderful experience. The "shop owners" explanations and demonstrations were easily understood by the grandchildren.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 28 September 2017

This was like traveling back in time and so fun and informative. The Blacksmith was super informative and friendly.Really enjoyed listening to him explain what he does. All the other flks were wonderful too. Definitely worth the admission price. Dog friendly!!! Fantastic place.

Date of experience: September 2017
Reviewed 26 September 2017

I wasn't as thrilled with this attraction as my husband (the farmer at heart), but it was very interesting in terms of 19th century farming methods and living conditions, with a mid 1800 replica town, complete with costumed store owners, farmers, etc. to talk about period customs and practices. The newsprint office was my favorite. You also travel by foot to different plots where farming is actually being performed using the tools from various eras, from pre-1800s to mid 20th century. I think it's a wonderful educaitonal tool for school groups bringing children from the city who have no exposure to farming or where their food comes from, and also exposing them to living history from an earlier time.

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank Terry D
Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

Nice to learn about farming and farm life in the past. Neat "old time" town to browse around in. Be ready to walk.

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank 664aprils
Reviewed 29 August 2017

A very good place to take your children to show them what life used to be like before so much STUFF began crowding out our life and we became to occupied with our gadgets. The thing is it is very realistic. In fact a lot of stuff I seen in the big farm house I either had used as a child or owned similar things as an adult. I truly enjoyed the whole experience. I like it hat they have a trolley that can take you from site to site if you can't do a lot of walking. Just ask them about it when you enter. It is very authentic. Remember to take a camera take lots of pictures and feel free to ask any questions of the volunteers at each site. You will want to go more then once like check it out at different times of the year.

Date of experience: May 2017