“Avoid this Restaurant”

On The Border Mexican Grill & Cantina
Get food delivered
Ranked #134 of 245 Restaurants in West Des Moines
Description: Our day begins making fresh chips & salsa in-house and continues as we fire up your favorite Tex-Mex flavors including tacos, margaritas, enchiladas, burritos, and sizzling fajitas. Enjoy our family-friendly fare at the restaurant, to-go, or delivered in W. Des Moines, IA.
Reviewed 2 June 2021

Poor service and food. I’m not going to write a book about our bad experience-but I could. Will just relate ordering a vodka tonic before meal. After long wait, drink arrived with no lime. Never saw server for long time so went to bar for a lime. First taste and I knew it was a vodka and CLUB SODA. I called our server over and told her. She said she knew it, “they are out of tonic so they put soda in it,”. Meal went down hill from there. This restaurant is surrounded by very good restaurants. Do yourself a favor and skip this one.

Date of visit: May 2021
Write a reviewReviews (89)

Reviewed 22 August 2020 via mobile

Excellent service by Nathaly. A friendly smile evident even wearing a mask and attentive service. Overall friendly atmosphere with a neighborhood feel, excellent food, and friendly staff.

Especially with the challenges of social distancing, masking, and scaled back menu Gabe and his staff managed quite nicely to make our dinner safe, enjoyable, and as delicious as always.

Date of visit: August 2020
Reviewed 11 May 2020

I received an email from On The Border inviting recipients to take advantage of a great offer for Cinco De Mayo, May 5, and I called that afternoon to take advantage of their offer: Dinner for four for $25. This was perfect for my husband and I, and our two granddaughters who live with us. The earliest time I could schedule for pickup of our order was 5:55 and I scheduled and paid online. I received an almost immediate reply rescheduling our pickup time to 5:58, with a note that they may be running as much as 15 min. late. I arrived at the restaurant at 5:50 and joined the line outside, where we waited in a chilly drizzle. Everyone in line was complying with social distancing. About 6:10, i overheard someone ask another waiting customer what time their order was scheduled to be ready. The individual advised they were scheduled for 5:30. As time drug on, we heard other people say their orders were ready at 5:40, 5:45... One man stated that he had ordered a week earlier and had already been waiting almost an hour. An employee came out every 5-10 minutes to call 3 or 4 names, but the line moved very slowly. When a customer pressed the OTB employee for an estimated time of how far behind they were running, the reply was that the wait could be as much as another hour. The line was advised that if anyone wanted to cancel their order, those persons could come inside where their name would be taken, and they would not be charged. After a 40 minute wait, I went inside to cancel. Once inside, I encountered a crush of people, also canceling, all of us in a small area near the front counter, unable to socially distance. I was very uncomfortable, but I wanted to make certain I wasn't charged for food I hadn't received. When it was my turn, the OTB employee checked and told me my order had not yet been started and she would cancel the order. I received an email from OTB on May 6 in which an apology was extended because the wait times were "unacceptably long". I was assured they would be better prepared in the future for the unexpected. They also stated that they were committed to getting it right" and regaining our trust. I appreciate their apology, but I find it hard to understand that they didn't expect a very large response to their Cinco De Mayo email. I am very disappointed and so were my granddaughters. I do, however, appreciate their attempt to commit to never allowing this scenario to play out again, and I will return another time to OTB.

Date of visit: May 2020
Reviewed 2 February 2020 via mobile

My family has been going to this restaurant monthly for about 8 years. We live less than a mile away. I try to leave positive reviews and always want to support the local economy. We like the menu and servers. We took a break from it about a year ago due to filthy booths, walls and menus. I left a review about this. The last two times we visited everything was much better. Today we arrived at 4:30 and were seated by a friendly server. Then we sat unattended for 15 minutes as we watched servers race by not even making eye contact. We left and went to El Rodeo which has a completely different menu but excellent service. Maybe OTB just has careless management? Goodbye, On The Border. We are no longer your customers.

Date of visit: February 2020
1  Thank asilemeter
Reviewed 24 November 2019 via mobile

The service was prompt and courteous. The food was hot and tasty. We were pleasantly surprised with the visit as we were apprehensive about it at first.

Date of visit: November 2019