All reviews des moines front desk staff cracker barrel starbucks coffee club room breakfast buffet nice hotel lobby bar an update wireless internet fitness center business trip nice stay water pressure indoor pool scrambled eggs the room was nice
Reviewed 11 July 2018 via mobile

This hotel is surprisingly quiet. I never heard anyone in the lobby or hallway from my room.

The beds are ridiculously comfortable.

Nice area, large parking lot.

Could use some upgrading but it's great. The lighting could be better, and the carpet in the hallways could use a refresher.

I will absolutely stay here again if given the opportunity!

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2018 via mobile

this hotel definitely has changed from when I used to be the University Park Holiday Inn they have totally stepped up their game. The Marble & quartz Lobby is elegantly beautiful. The front desk staff was exceptionally well mannered and skilled in hospitality. Definitely worth the price increase especially for the accommodations and location to the interstate and only 3 miles from Jordan Creek Town Center.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business
Chris S, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2018

REIKE P - Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. We are so glad that you enjoyed the improvements that we've made to the hotel, we are very excited about our new product and everything that we now have to offer. I hope that we have the opportunity to host you again soon.

Reviewed 2 July 2018

2 nights here very comfortable room well appointed with excellent amenities. Reception pretty helpful but when we did a fuse they ignored our request for service to repair it - we called 1115 and was not repaired till 11pm once we returned and found it was not working, To their credit it was quickly resolved.

Room Tip: Views from upper floor stunning
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

carhbs59 - thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry that you had a service issue while staying with us and have shared your feedback with the team to use as a learning moment. I hope that should your travels bring you back to West Des Moines that we have the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 30 June 2018 via mobile

We are traveling cross country and are staying at a different hotel each night. This was one of our Expedia finds.

The hotel is undergoing renovation and it will be AMAZING when it is done. The decor is very modern and there are many places to get out of the room and relax.

Wi-Fi wasn’t free but they do give you two 10oz bottles of water free as well as larger bottle that you have to pay for.

Pets are welcome here. I saw a beautiful bulldog there and the dog was very well behaved.

I would stay here again. All the workers were very accommodating and friendly. I felt welcomed.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family

Nyree C - Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would agree, we are anticipating that the completion of the renovation will unveil many new amazing features for our guests to experience and enjoy. Should your travels bring you back through West Des Moines we would love to host you again and let you experience the full Sheraton West Des Moines post renovation.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

The hotel is easy to find and is not too far off the highway.
there is plenty of parking.

Check in was easy and quick

The hotel lobby appeared nice, but it was kinda loud with a water fall and also quite a bit of construction in lobby.

The room we were given was unfortunately a handicap room. I didn't really care for it. I am 6'4 and couldn't really use any of the mirrors in the room because they were too short. the bathroom was unwieldy with the pocket door. It made it hard for my girlfriend to get ready with me in the shower or bathroom. There were plenty of towels and the bathroom and shower appeared to be clean.

The room appeared clean, but we noticed the curtains had been partially pulled off their hooks and I had to put them back up. The next morning the sun shone right through the curtains and shades anyway.

The view from the room was of a roof with air conditioners and boxes of filters strewn around. not very scenic.

But the biggest problem was all the kids. The day we were there there were literally hundreds of kids running in the halls, filling up the elevators, etc.

The gym was full of kids on every machine and the floor was covered in water, towels, and children's clothing. There seemed to be little adult supervision.

The pool was completely unusable. There were at least 20 shrieking children in the pool. I couldn't even slide in for 2 minutes to cool off.

The patio, too was completely packed with people. no relaxing out there either.

one had to go through the gym to get to the pool so there was a constant stream of wet kids in and out of the gym leaving water everywhere.

Back to the room. I like a cool room and the air conditioner just didn't cut it. I was not able to get the room down to my comfort level.

The bed was comfortable and the linens were clean. There was a reading light and outlet on either side of the bed which is a plus. The TV was nice and large and had a good selection of channels. I didn't use the Wifi.

At least most of the children had gone to bed by the time I went to sleep so sleep quality was generally good.

Overall, since I was unable to use some of the facilities and due to noise and disruption from the many kids, I felt the hotel was not worth the money. I did not expect a $250 per night hotel to be a day care center.

Stayed: June 2018
Chris S, General Manager at Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

ScubaDave16 - I am sorry that we were unable to meet your expectations during your most recent stay. I sincerely apologize for the disruption caused by the children that were staying in the hotel as a part of a youth sports event in the city. We do distribute a code of conduct letter to these teams as well as employee additional security and off duty police to help patrol the hotel and offer additional safety and security for all. I'm sorry that these measures were unable to help you enjoy your stay more. We will share your comments with the hotel team in order to work to develop a better plan.