“Hidden Gem”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2018 via mobile

Great setting for a unique airport restaurant food was good, service was slow. It appeared that they were short on wait staff. All in all with the relaxed setting it was a very pleasant lunch and they had Abita Root Beer on tap that’s a double plus. Definitely a keeper. Atmosphere is decidedly geared for aviation buffs.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

Had family in from out of town on two occasions and took them both to Stearman's to see the planes and have some lunch. Neither disappointed!! Food was good, beer was cold and the service was friendly. Kids got to see planes take off and land. We had a bit of a wait but enjoyed our beers while waiting and sat inside although we usually like the outside but it was 98 degrees out. Try the "kicking potatoes" appetizer -- very good and spicy. Love this place and use it as a go to when we have guests we want to impress.

Reviewed 31 July 2018

Stearman Field is my favorite restaurant in the Wichita area. One of the eating areas is located in a hanger building with a glass hanger-door for seeing the runway on cold or very hot days. A :Big A_ _ Fan" is overhead, keeping the air moving on hot days as is a misting system along the observation area. Did I mention that the eating area is right next to the runway's threshold?

RC models are mounted on the walls and overhead. Photographic stills from the movie, "The Gypsy Moths" are on the walls by the all-year eating room's/bar restrooms. That movie was filmed at Stearman Field!

The food is adequate and the menu is varied; ranging from pizza to a steak. Try the fried green beans for an appetizer!

The place is child friendly with high-chairs and a children's playground available to let them burn-off energy in a reasonably contained environment. It also hosts an Easter Egg Hunt and Santa's Arrival for children; both are well attended events.

A walk along "hanger row" reveals all kinds of adult aircraft "toys".

Wedding receptions are also hosted here, with the bride and groom flying off into the sunset at the end of the party.

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

I had heard the food and atmosphere here was good. Stopped in for a solo dinner and I really enjoyed it. Airplanes taking off and landing, doing fly bye’s. Big hanger door opens up. Tv’s and a very nice beer selection. Friendly service. Food was good. I ate the Philly steak sandwich and liked it. I look forward to coming back for breakfast some day.

Reviewed 15 July 2018

We had been out several times and have had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Most recently Breakfast this am with another couple. The buffet was open but we all choose to order from the menu. FYI - buffet is OK, but some items are cold that should be hot, bacon usually undercooked. So today, I ordered a ham, cheese and onion omelet. I could tell the waitress was not "tuned in" so I talked slow and clear. I also asked for crispy hash browns. Omelet came with no onion, not much cheese and the half the ham bits were half fat (not trimmed first). Hash browns were not cooked crispy as ordered. My wife ordered oatmeal and it came out so thick and cold my wife could not move her spoon in it. She ordered some milk to thin it down and some brown sugar to give it some flavor and then had them microwave for a couple of minutes. Better. All orders of our toast came out cold. My friend ordered crispy bacon, but it came out very under cooked and he just laid it aside. To average things out a bit, we have had a good burger and pizza during past visits. Service has never been great and just know this is not fast food, so plan on a good 90 minutes for the visit. Not your average atmosphere with the airplanes coming and going, fun for the kids, just wish they would improve the service and food quality. Medium prices.