“Jamaican Joy”

Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Holt
Price range: US$8 - US$32
Cuisines: European, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A rural pub and restaurant serving fine ales and a variety of foods from pub classics to a la carte dining with steaks and fresh fish plus a speciality menu featuring authentic Afro-Caribbean dishes.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

first visit this year and still as delicious as the last time we came. Gorgeous plantain and delicious vegetable curry. Great veggie options. Mister had the calaloo and ackee for the first time and his usual goat curry which was superb. Delicious barra and gorgeous Jamaican dumplings. Always worth coming back for and can't wait til the next bank holday. Dog friendly and the new barman did well on his first shift.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

We moved to the area a year ago and drove past this pub many times but being someone who doesn't like spicy food the carribean theme put me off. How wrong I was to not give this pub a chance sooner. As well as the Caribbean menu they have a standard menu. We went for a Sunday roast and it was fantastic loads of choice of veg, lovely roast potatoes and beautiful home made vegetarian option. We now go nowhere else but the red lion for our Sunday lunch.
If you haven't tried this pub for food please do so as your missing out.

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Incredible food and absolutely wonderful staff! We've passed this pub many times and this is the first time we've stopped off here but it certainly won't be the last! My mum and I both had Carribean dishes (coconut curry with oxtail and curry goat) which were both tasted superb with really tender meats. My other half had the seafood linguini from the classic menu which was also fantastic! You get plenty of meats/fish in the main dishes and everything is very reasonably priced. Make sure you try the dumplings alongside your main meal if you have from the Carribean menu as they are unlike anything I've ever eaten before, amazing! Although the portion sizes were great and we were all incredibly full we couldn't resist trying dessert and I'm glad we did. We had the apple and berry crumble, chocolate and orange tart and mango and passion fruit cheesecake all of which were delicious. I really couldn't fault anything on the menu and the service was great, nothing was too much trouble.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I were walking in the snow which had closed roads, shops and restaurants and came upon a near empty pub - the Red Lion. We were two of three people there (regulars had been snowed in presumably) so had the place to ourselves. Plenty of food available and a great selection.

We had two curries and the cheesy garlic bread. These curries were seriously good, cooked to our taste (mild to spicy). Service was fantastic, the owner was lovely and the food was great.

Would highly recommend!

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Came here this evening for dinner and so glad we did! Great home cooked Caribbean food. We had jerk chicken and jerk pork to start and curry goat and fish curry for our mains! Wow...cant believe we didn't know about this place as practically on our doorstep. Great food and great service . Can't wait to go back