“The Cheers of BBQ”

Price range: US$9 - US$30
Cuisines: Barbecue
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Description: A Barbeque restaurant, that was established in 1972, by Hayward Spears Sr. We specialize in smoke meats, most notably, burnt ends, which have been declared Best Burnt Ends, by the Kansas City Bar-B-Que Society. We are a dine-in or carry-out restaurant that will also cater any special occasion. The owner, Eric Sweeney, grew up in Overland Park, Kansas. He worked for Hayward when he was a teen-ager, stoking the hickory wood fire. He purchased the restaurant in 2014, with the intention of bringing Hayward's back to it's Heyday and has been successful at doing so. Stop by the smoke house in the back of the restaurant to say hello, or talk about Bar-B-Que. Bar-B-Que is his lifetime passion, so you may get an earful!
Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

We visited this place for the first time yesterday and I've never encountered a friendlier staff. As soon as we got out of car in the parking lot a gentleman shouted out hey, welcome, glad you made it. Then a random stranger walking out told us to make sure we ordered the cheesy corn (good tip but Jack Stack's is better). We were sat right away and the server acted like he'd known us for years. We ordered The Royal sandwich with burnt ends AND brisket (because why not), the Smoked turkey sandwich and the variety platter for one with ribs and turkey. For the sides we ordered: onion rings, fried okra, hayward's cheesy corn bake and waffle cut sweet potato fries. Verdict? The ribs and The Royal were fantastic. Okie Joes does a better job with turkey in my opinion. As for the sides the onion rings were by far the table favorite! I will be back!

1  Thank Stephanie S

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

My family has been going to this place since Hayward Sr had the original one. I have always enjoyed this place. We stopped on our way through town to see if Eric, the new owner, was as good as I've been told. The food was every bit as good as I remembered and is way less expensive compared to other locations in KC. The staff was friendly and polite. Large menu selection was a hit

Reviewed 11 July 2017

We went here late on a Sunday night for supper. We had 13 people and they treated us just like family. The 3 meat BBQ plate was large enough; for 3 at least. Great BBQ although Their sauce was more like N. Carolina than a Kansas City Sweet sauce that I like. This does not constitute a bad thing, just not my favorite BBQ sauce. Great service again.
Great atmosphere.

1  Thank Lydell D
Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

We had a good meal at Hayward's. Smoked chicken wings for an appetizer were excellent. The meat for entrees was good, not the best in KC... But the sides...they were awesome! Best sides we had with BBQ in KC. The baked beans, the creamy cheesy corn, and waffle cut sweet potato fries...all were very good. Would eat there again.

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

Had to give this place a try. Definitely didn't disappoint. Had the variety platter with sliced brisket, ribs and burnt ends. The brisket was sliced very thin and really didn't have a lot of flavor. The ribs were really good, just the right amount of pull. The burnt ends were amazing!! Next time that's all I'm getting!

Been to Hayward's Pit BBQ? Share your experiences!