“Outstanding BBQ on drive-by”
Review of The BBQ Shack

The BBQ Shack
Ranked #5 of 38 Restaurants in Paola
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Barbecue
Description: The BBQ SHACK sits approximately 60 ppl at tables and we can squeeze in about 10 more at the bar. After ordering up an Old Man Kelsey's BBQ sandwich or a Leon's Combo, along with some Ernest Tea, feel free to roam around the restaurant to check out various memorabilia from The Andy Griffith Show. What, do you ask, does the Andy Griffith Show have to do with BBQ? ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN! But just like our award winning BBQ, you won't find this memorabilia anywhere else but here!
Reviewed 17 November 2016

I recently stopped at the BBQ Shack for quick carry-out on a drive through Paola related to business. I tried a simple Mayberry Style Pulled Pork Sandwich, which is pulled pork & Carolina style slaw on a bun........vinegar-based slaw, instead of creamy style. I got it without any sauce in order to get a true reading on the quality of the meat itself, which turned out to be marvelous. The meat was extremely tender, with a good crust on the surface meat. The slaw was good, & not so strong that it affected the flavor of the meat in any way. It was a very good-sized portion, as well. There was nothing special about the interior of the restaurant, but BBQ lovers never care about that anyway, right? I would highly-recommend this for a BBQ place outside of the metro-Kansas City area, & if you live in the Paola vicinity & this is NOT a regular joint for you, you need to make it one!

Rick S, Owner at The BBQ Shack, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2016

Thank you, sir. We are glad to hear you enjoyed it! Thank you for stopping by! We appreciate your business.

Reviewed 21 October 2016 via mobile

Travelling home from KC at Dinner time. Checked TA recommendation--tried The BBQ Shack. Not fancy--but very friendly wait staff serving good food. Have 3 sauces--Original is pretty zippy (leaves a slight burn at the back of your mouth) and they get hotter from there. My husband had Rodney's Hot Dog and Cheese sandwich--shaved pit ham with Monterey Jack and Swiss cheeses, grilled on marble rye read. He had fries as his side and was able to eat only half the sandwich. He said all very good--leftovers came home with us. I had the Side-Car Shack Salad but substituted pork instead of the menu choices. Quite tasty and substitute no problem. Menu showed homemade chicken tenders which my husband tried to order. It was disappointing at 5:40 pm when we were told, they had just run out. We will likely eat here again and try their 1/2 lb. order of Homemade Onion Straws. Location convenient to Hwy 169--right south of McDonald's.

Reviewed 11 October 2016

Good BBQ. Love the pulled pork sandwich and or course the onions straws. The corn nuggets are good also. love the decorations.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

The sandwiches are well stocked with meat. The ham is extraordinary. I like the smoke wings but, they were a little overcooked when we were there last. The flavor was great though. Ribs were a little chewy for us, but we like the meat falling off the bone. Sauces are very good. Very good BBQ as well as the one at the airport.

Reviewed 6 August 2016

I stopped in to grab lunch based on a couple recommendations. The BBQ at this joint is as good as any I’ve had! I ordered the two-meat combo sandwich with spicy sausage and brisket. I also enjoyed an atomic buffalo turd appetizer and it was awesome! There was plenty of meat on the sandwich. The sausage was really flavorful and the sliced brisket was tender and smoky. I tried all 3 sauces and they were all delicious. Can’t wait to stop in again and try the pork and ribs! This place is worth a drive from KC.

Been to The BBQ Shack? Share your experiences!