“Shiny New Penny Syndrome”
Review of Fuzzy's Taco Shop

Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Ranked #608 of 1,095 Restaurants in Wichita
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Easter Sunday and for lunch we decide to take a jaunt to Fuzzy's Taco Shop and give it a try. It's new to Wichita and has been open for maybe a week and a half. My husband has already tried it once and had a burrito from this company which he liked but was not overly impressed with it's flavor. At any rate we give it a go. We order 4 combo plates (one for each of us). My husband gets a shredded brisket taco and chicken enchilada plate with cilantro lime rice and borracho beans, my son orders a ground beef taco and chicken taco plate with refried beans and mexican rice, my in-law orders a pork taco with chicken enchilada and black beans and cilantro lime rice, and I order a chicken taco and brisket taco plate with black beans and cilantro lime rice. We get a drunken pig appetizer and take it home. I live fairly close so everything is nice and hot when we eat it.

We open our food and begin eating and we all notice immediately how extremely salty everything tastes. The tacos which are on corn tortillas are all dripping with too much liquid and so the shells fall apart in your hands while eating making a horrible mess. The black beans are so watery and have not thickened while cooking. The liquid has a consistency of skim milk and not what you expect with black beans. The cilantro lime rice is so salty, none of us eat it. The mexican rice looks like any fast food yellow rice from any asian fast food joint, and smells like paella rice cooked in seafood liquid. It is not appealing and also goes uneaten. Brisket should be an amazing meat in a taco, but this is far from true here owing to an extreme about of salt and the fact that not properly draining the meat has made the corn tortilla shell fall apart and soggy. It's a bloody mess. My son's refried beans were also runny and not thick like a refried bean should be and so it looked more like a cream soup in consistency. Also noted were the borracho beans soupiness which was ok, but the taste was lacking and disappointing. The chicken enchiladas were flavorless except for the preponderance of salt. Finally we come to the drunken pig. It is an appetizer of pork, beans, cheese and green onions, and it tasted fairly pleasant. It was a bit salty but nothing in comparison to the salt lick flavor of ALL the other food. What was disappointing and what blew this part of the meal was the tortilla chips it is served with for dipping. It is a dip type of app and was served to us with exactly 4 tortilla chips, 4. That was one for each of us.

All in all, we will not be eating here again. The prices are just a couple of dollars cheaper than Abuelo's lunch items and far less appetizing. I would rather spend a little more and get something worth paying for than the food served here at Fuzzy's. I will note, that the first time we tried to stop in, we overheard a couple coming out of this place commenting that they would give it 6 months tops, and my experience certainly backs that assessment. They should have stayed in Fort Worth. Never again for us.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Kids loved the food and the nachos are wonderful... the drinks were amazing and the was plenty of sitting... will revisit

Reviewed 16 March 2018

First appearing on Berry Street in Fort Worth, Texas in 2003, cravings since then for Fuzzy’s Taco Shop has turned into a cult-like following and more than 100 locations across the country.

Wichita was introduced to Fuzzy's on March 12th.

I stopped in there today at about 2pm for a late lunch and the place was hopping! There was a line waiting to order, something I was hoping to avoid mid-afternoon. But like me, everybody wants to check out the new restaurant, so the time apparently, really doesn't matter, it's going to be busy.

Not wanting to stand in line to order my meal, I sauntered over to the bar and found a comfy seat, right in front of Kansas vs. Penn - March Madness - on TV.

In no time flat, the bartender asked me what I wanted to drink and offered up meal and drink menus.

"I'll take a Corona," I replied.

The beer was quickly served and it was good and cold. I proceeded to review the menu. Having checked out the food options online, I was already leaning on either the Grilled Shrimp Burrito or the Tempura Battered Shrimp Burrito, but I gave everything on the menu a quick glance-over just to be sure shrimp was the ticket I wanted to punch and also to see if the menu matched up with what you can view online. It did. They have A LOT of choices, in fact, I was almost tempted by the Brisket Burrito - I've never had one - but I did end up going with the Grilled Shrimp Burrito. Just as stated on the menu, this thing is of Jumbo size and along with the grilled shrimp there's guacamole, shredded cheese, tomatoes, onions, garlic sauce, cilantro/lime rice and black beans wrapped in a large flour tortilla. The great thing about Fuzzy's, is you can customize your order, I could have gone with a different flavored rice or another type of bean for example.

Enthralled with the Kansas vs. Penn game, it was mere minutes I think when my burrito arrived.

It was a Jumbo dose of YUM!

The shrimp was grilled perfectly, the guacamole had a perfect, creamy consistency and all those other great flavors wrapped in that fresh tortilla was just fantastic, bite after bite. And about that, I got all the ingredients in every bite - that's important. I've had my fair share of burritos, tacos and the like from other joints where you get all beans in one bite, meat and cheese in another bite or just the veggies in yet another. I truly appreciate the fact that whoever prepared my burrito, didn't just slop things in there.

Rita drinks
Not only does Fuzzy's have great eats with a lot of options - something to please everyone, they've got a fun drink menu as well. While I was busy munching away and enjoying the game, a couple of ladies at the bar next to me ordered some 'Rita' drinks. One was a 'Beerrita' a standard margarita with a Dos XX or Corona dipped into it. The second drink was a 'Sexyrita' made by dunking a champagne split into a Fuzzy’s house margarita. The ladies had fun sampling each and really liking the bubbles created in the mixes.

The restaurant atmosphere is fun, the service was friendly, food/drink delivery fast. And being a brand new restaurant, with new employees learning the Fuzzy's way to do tacos and drinks, it was running efficiently, even during a pretty busy time. Kudos to the training staff. My Jumbo Grilled Shrimp Burrito and two Coronas cost me $15.75 + tip. This was a fun dining experience. I visited with some nice folks, enjoyed a great burrito along with a couple of cold beers and Kansas won their first round game! I left the restaurant quite content.

Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner - there's a kids' menu too - Fuzzy's Taco Shop gets 5 out of 5 stars. I'll be trying that Brisket Burrito on my next visit!