“Our relaxing return”
other travellers have booked this property
THE GENERAL'S CABIN
Spend sunny days or listen to rain drop on our tin roof tucked under the porch Just step into this beautiful poplar and oak cabin
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
THE GENERAL'S CABIN
Spend sunny days or listen to rain drop on our tin roof tucked under the porch
Just step into this beautiful poplar and oak cabin
Dappled morning light
View from the loft.
Cozy fire
Pet Friendly- No Charge
twin beds with egyptian cotton bedding- get ready for a good nights sleep
Enjoy a good book  or read about the General and his wife
Even cooking becomes a pleasure overlooking woodland views
dreamy days
stocked pond with woodland views
Sun dappled kitchen in the afternoon
picnic by the pond
watch a good movie and tuck in by our second fireplace
Lovely kitchen
Take a peek into the cabin
tree lined drive to the cabin nestled in the woods
Sunny dappled window
Main Bathroom with tiled shower/tub as well as washer/dryer.
Handmade cabinets with double granite sinks in master bathroom
A good read in the master bathroom?
Wall of windows from the outside looking in.
Bathroom with step in shower off second bathroom with twin beds
Relax in comfort on our sectional sofa around a cozy fire.
A peek into the second bedroom with 2 built in twin beds
Sun dappled trees in early spring
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Owensboro, Kentucky
“Our relaxing return”
Reviewed 12 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017
people found this review helpful

I have traveled to several countries and seen some gorgeous sites, but I'd have to say that staying at the General's Cabin are some of my most cherished memories. My boyfriend and I are hard workers that don't get a lot of time together, and when we stay here we get a chance to put down the technology and just enjoy each other's company. We alway come with lots of Red River Gorge trails on our list, but end up enjoying the land around the cabin so much that we never want to leave! We recently went on a return visit and were thrilled to see where we had signed the guest book over five years ago.

Joy was so kind to us and was easily available by phone if we ever had any questions. I am so grateful to her for her kindness and for sharing such a wonderful place with others.

This land is secluded and away from light pollution (as you can see from this night time shot I got). I can't wait to visit my favorite place again some day!

12 Jul 2017
I can't thank you enough for taking your time to place such a wonderful review about our magical cabin in the woods. We love having guests return year after year to enjoy all that you so eloquently described. Thanks again for taking your time and we hope to have you visit in the near future.
jcbarber2...
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Peaceful”
Reviewed 16 June 2017 for a stay in June 2017

The cabin was very nice. Very peaceful. Loved going to the pond and in the mornings hearing elk "bugle".

16 Jun 2017
Thanks so much for taking your time to write a review. Many love the peaceful setting of the cabin, as it is always beneficial for every one to get away from the hustle and bustle of life in order to enjoy the serenity of nature.
marih1013...
Clinton, Mississippi
“Remote, Peaceful and Inspirational”
Reviewed 16 May 2017 for a stay in March 2017

I spent a week at The General's Cabin drafting my first-ever novel. This was the first time--but not the last--that I have spent a week by myself in a remote setting. Any anxiety I might have had quickly dissipated upon talking to Joy when I made my reservation and I was further comforted when she called to check on me and assure me that I could contact her quickly and easily if I had concerns or questions. Excellent cell phone coverage allowed me to tether my laptop for internet coverage. The king bed was comfy and warm (I especially appreciated the electric blanket during a couple unexpected icy nights). And the amenities--scented bath gel and shampoo, quality coffee beans with grinder and choice of drip or french press, a fabulous library, everything I could have needed and more! This is the perfect get-away. The cabin is unique in its architecture and history. Walking around the grounds is a delight. And, the surrounding countryside is beautiful.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
millersco...
Lexington, Kentucky
“Experience a "life well-lived" by taking a few steps in General Little's shoes.”
Reviewed 3 May 2017 for a stay in April 2017
person found this review helpful

If you've ever wondered what it would be like to live in relative seclusion, without traffic lights, noise...people, for that matter, you owe it to yourself to book the General's Cabin. It's an inspired structure on a beautiful piece of land. While you're there you'll immediately appreciate that a country boy came home to live out his days with his beautiful bride; he built a home, not a vacation cottage. History buffs will, and should, read the short biography stationed at the desk in the main room. As one of my buddies said about half way through, "Wow, this guy was the real deal." You might book The General's Cabin with the idea that you'll have a great place to stay while you're exploring the nearby Red River Gorge; on the other hand, you might conclude that you can hike any time and you'd rather stay at the cabin to fully absorb its charm. I enthusiastically recommend it as a perennial destination.

Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Laurhowla
“A slice of heaven”
Reviewed 10 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016
people found this review helpful

We fell in love with The Generals Cabin the moment we opened the handmade walnut doors and walked inside. It's everything you dream of when you think about a rustic, cozy cabin but with all the comforts of home. Soft sheets, fully stocked kitchen, toiletries, endless amounts of literature and a fireplace.

We stayed for a extra long weekend over Christmas, spending our days in the Daniel Boone National Forest exploring and our evenings hanging around the fireplace enjoying each other's company. The big kitchen table was perfect for great meals with our family and the view in the kitchen area reminds you how lovely it is to be surrounded by nature!

We explored down by the pond and around the land on the paths, our Yellow Lab was in heaven as well! He was a fan of taking long naps under the table and by the fireplace after long walks!

The Generals Cabin was everything we expected and more! To find such a lovely spot to spend our holiday that also allowed dogs (with no additional fee) is hard to find these days.

As a bonus, Joy and Michael were so easy to work with as we made the booking and so flexible through our whole experience.

One of our favorite parts of The Generals Cabin is the history and the life of General Little. Such a great story; it reminds us all how important our roots, family and stories are. We enjoyed learning more about the history of the Red River Gorge and surrounding areas throughout our stay as well.

The Generals Cabin is a slice of heaven that we were ever so humbled to be able to enjoy!

We will be back!

Thank you for sharing such a special place!

Lauren, Duke and our four legged son!

10 Jan 2017
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you return. Thanks for taking your time to review our Little " slice of heaven."
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing