“Hand-dipped Heaven”

Add it.
Old Town Fudge Factory
Ranked #6 of 23 Shopping in Berea
Reviewed 16 January 2015

I have stopped here several times and have never been disappointed. While they are a bit pricey, I am willing to pay the price for hand-dipped truffles and fresh fudge. The gentleman who has always been present is the owner. He, his wife and stepson own this shop and one other. It is only the three of them, no employees. No modern machinery such as a "draping" machine for the truffles, graham crackers, etc. His wife hand-dips each and every one. While the Bourbon balls are a well-known Kentucky treat, I must recommend the Moonshine balls. YUMMY! They were "invented" here, at the Old Town Fudge Factory. And this shop sells them cheaper than the copycats! The shop is not fancy and very small. But the goodies inside are well worth a try.

1  Thank Sligeah

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Based on the reviews posted on TripAdvisor, we specifically stopped at the Old Town Fudge Factory to indulge in some sweets during a trip to Berea. Sadly, the staff and store did not live up to expectations. The individual we presumed to be the owner was outside watering flowers as we arrived. While she said hello, when we reciprocated and asked how she was she completely ignored us. After following us inside we again greeted her and were met with silence (diffidence?). When we made it clear we were not simply window shopping and intended to purchase, she warmed up to us, but the entire exchange was awkward at best. Additionally, she did not wash her hands after watering the plants and while she donned a plastic glove on one hand when packaging our choices, she also used this same glove to handle the money between two separate purchase processes. Not sanitary.

We purchased both fudge and chocolate candies. There were no less than a dozen varieties of fudge from which to choose, which was nice. But, the overall quality of the fudge was mediocre, at best. The same can be said for the chocolates. The variety was minimal and while there were some tried and true candies from which to choose, they were uninspired (traditional buckeyes, chocolate covered Oreos, chocolate covered graham crackers, a few creams/truffles). The flavors were muted and the chocolate was medium quality at best and some of it was untempered causing bloom on the candy.

As a few other reviewers have noted, the candy is premium priced. Unfortunately, you do not receive premium candy for that premium price. I'd save my calories and take a pass on this stop.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I've been there twice, different people serving but the same friendly attitude. The ice cream are really good!!! I recommend Banana Split for people who do not like too much sugar like me. Also, my friends say the Pumpkin ice cream is really good too. The price is pretty high for poor college students like me but honestly, it's worth it :)

1  Thank Ngoc-Anh C
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I found this little candy store trying to pass time waiting to drop of my brothers kids. This shop is right out of a time machine, it's great. The selection was great, and the Bourbon Balls are very good, as well as the chocolate covered cashews. Hand dipped cones were nice. Next time I get to Berea I will be stopping. Great little find. The owner was very sweet.

1  Thank Donald J
Reviewed 20 October 2013

These were some of the best bourbon balls we've had. We usually purchase from Chaser's near Mammoth Cave, these were just as good. We bought half a pound on Monday and then stopped back on Friday and purchased another half pound. The proprietor offered suggestions on where to visit since the national parks were closed. Well worth the money. Items are priced by the half pound.

Been to Old Town Fudge Factory? Share your experiences!