“Exciting first whitewater rafting trip” 5 of 5 bubbles

Sheltowee Trace Adventure Resort - Day Tours
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Corbin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Sheltowee Trace Adventure Resort offers a wide variety of activities geared for all ages. River adventures include guided whitewater rafting trips, as well as canoeing, kayaking, stand-up paddle-boarding, and tubing. We also have zip-lining, excursions aboard the Cumberland Star riverboat, and a guided boat trip for an up-close view of Cumberland Falls. Camping and cabins round out our offerings.
planet earth
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Exciting first whitewater rafting trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2010

Our trip was on the Cumberland River, below the Falls. I had zero experience whitewater rafting prior to this trip, so I was completely terrified. They are very safety oriented and went over safety instructions multiple times. The guide (Matt) was extremely tolerant of my fears. Was told the river was at a somewhat lower water level than other times of the year, so the rapids weren't quite as advanced as they can be other times of the year. It still was a lot of fun! I would highly recommend this trip for anyone. The scenery is great, the staff is wonderful and the trip was a blast!

2 Thank TmcC1

United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 126 helpful votes
“Excellent Family or Beginner River Raft Adventure - Highly Recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2010

We went in June, when the water was at an average level. I took my seven year old son and 68-year old mother, and this trip was perfect. There was a well-paced amount of white water on the first half of the trip (the second half is all day water and your raft is towed while everyone relaxes, or has water fights like we did). The Level I-III rapids are unintimidating, and at no time did I feel danger of someone falling out of the raft.

The owner does the best job I have ever seen for a raft company in orienting guests for safety, starting with the requirement that all watch a video, wear helmets, are properly fitted in PSDs, and then a verbal briefing again covering the video elements is done about 30 minutes later before boarding rafts. The guides are professional, and very skilled as I watched our 140 pound girl guide pull women weighing 250-300 pounds back in the boat after swim breaks. Everyone was made to feel comfortable.

This trip will be boring for those that raft frequently - the rapids in June are not challenging. Supposedly it is much higher water in the spring, but I don't know if it would rate where some of the W Virginia rivers would.

The cost is low to low average. Showers on site for afterward. Lunch was minimal. Take sunscreen and water with you.

Just great for the young and the old!

3 Thank Filipendulous
nashville,tn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The most beautiful and exciting river I have ever canoed.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2009

My friends and I go on a 3 day canoe trip every year and have done so for the past 6 years we have been to several rivers in Tennessee, West Virginia and Arkansas. The Big South Fork was the best by far. It was the most beautiful river I have ever canoed. The massive boulders along the clean banks make it a great trip.
The occasional rapids made the trip even more interesting. Most rivers have a few ripples that barely get the pulse up but this river had several surprises that made it very exciting without being dangerous.
We canoed the lower portion of the Big South Fork and hope to combine it with a portion of the middle upper section next year.
Camping was good. There where plenty of good soft level spots to camp.

1 Thank canoetn
Knoxville
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great river, easy whitewater w/some challenge but not so great personnel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

The day was beautiful; the river was high so there were some solid rapids, but the staffing was off. The owner is a crank-- rude and offensive. Our interactions with him left a sour taste in my mouth all day. The guides were lax and sometimes seemed undisciplined which left me ill at ease.

3 Thank kentuckyrafting
Camby, IN
“We had a BLAST!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

My husband & I took our 11 yr old daughter old-school tent camping & whatewater rafting last Labor Day weekend & we would all do it again. Sheltowee Trace's guides did a great job pointing everything out to us along the way and the staff in the store was very helpful too. We had alot of fun & would definitely recommend this trip to ANYONE LOOKING FOR FUN!!!