All reviews bed and breakfast country girl at heart knick knacks mammoth cave collecting eggs farm experience gather eggs dogs and cats quiet experience other guests patriot room farm animals feed the animals casserole bathtub shower fresh fruit breakfast was delicious
Reviewed 17 August 2016

Darlene has put her heart into this bed and breakfast. It is great for a weekend getaway for family or even a girls trip. The property is beautiful and she cooks a yummy breakfast. Getting to help with the farm in the morning is cool too. I helped get eggs and feed her other animals. There is something for everyone here. Its a don't miss!

• Trip type: Travelled solo
DarleneRose28, Owner at Country Girl at Heart Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Thank you for your exuberant comments on Trip Advisor! Sounds like you were involved in all the Fun things we do here on the Farm! Come back anytime and receive your 10% Discount every time as a Return Guest!
See YOU on the Farm,
Darlene

Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

I stayed overnight 7/23/16 with my teenaged daughters. We wanted to have a "girls getaway" before they left for college the following week. I had reviewed other B&Bs before choosing this one. I wanted to be "away" (no TV, no phones, no outside distractions) so we could just relax and enjoy each other's company. My goal was to have a good weekend & I hoped we could have some good memories of our getaway. Instead, we had a fantastic time, with lifelong memories to cherish.
We stayed upstairs in the Pioneer room & opted to rent the additional sitting room. The bedrooms are located upstairs, with the exception of one handicapped accessible bedroom. We loved our beautiful suite with the queen-sized bed in the main bedroom & the twin beds in the sitting room. The sitting room also has a couch that converts to a bed but we didn't have to use it. The beds are very comfy- including mattress, sheets and quilts. I would trade my king-sized bed and linens at home for that queen bed! If I had stayed longer, I would have planned to curl up in that bed to read a book.
Our room was charmingly decorated & it is apparent that each piece of furniture and small knickknack was thoughtfully chosen for the room.

The innkeeper, Darlene, kindly places a small refrigerator in the upstairs hallway with complimentary bottled water. We had a few soft drinks and were allowed to utilize this refrigerator to keep the cans chilled. The hallway also has a basket of complimentary items that one may forget to pack- toothbrush, toothpaste, band aids, hairdryer etc.

Since our plan was to just relax & spend our time together, we never left the grounds. There was plenty to do! The large finished basement is filled with board games, arts & crafts, air hockey, foosball, & a pool table. There weren't any small children there at the same time we visited, but there are many age-related toys and games for them as well (I also remember seeing a large chest with clothing to play dress-up).

The main floor includes the open dining room and sitting area with a library corner and board games. (I didn't get a chance to read but saw many "old friends" in the library corner...Nancy Drew, The Happy Hollisters, The Bobbsey Twins, as well as classic novels, travel guides, inspirational stories, Christian, educational, etc.). We mainly played board games on the main floor and talked and laughed all evening. Darlene would inconspicuously check to see if we needed anything-coffee, ice for drinks, etc.
At the end of our night, we watched a movie on the huge projection screen downstairs. Darlene has a huge selection of movies and DVDs although we had opted to bring our favorite movie from home.

Breakfast the next morning was delicious! Darlene cooked a full southern breakfast- bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, gravy, and biscuits and jam. It was enjoyable to sit at the table and mingle with the guests from other states. My daughters who have lived in Kentucky their entire lives were amazed when a guest pointed to the gravy and asked what it was. Another guest had placed sausage patties on her plate but didn't know what they were. She had eaten sausage many times but never seen it as a patty. Everyone's similarities and differences made for very interesting conversation at breakfast. Darlene also regaled the guests with stories of her journey as a B&B proprietress.

After breakfast, while the other guests departed for home or left to tour Mammoth Cave, we chose to "assist" with the farm chores. We fed the pigs leftovers, gave banana peels to the rabbits, carrots to the 3 horses, and leftovers and chicken feed to the chickens. We gathered 30+ eggs that the hens laid overnight (and bought 2 dozen to take home). We visited with the goats and enjoyed watching the ducks. My oldest daughter enjoyed the horses and chickens the most. My youngest teen spent most time with---the dogs and cats!

We couldn't have planned a better weekend. It was certainly one of the best times I've ever had with my daughters! It was well worth the money spent. My only regret is that we couldn't stay 2 nights (due to our work obligations). My girls want to come back & include their Grandma in the next "girls night".
Darlene gives repeat customers 10% off subsequent visits. If you know you're coming back, there is a brochure in the lobby to record your visits. If you stay on 3 separate occasions in 12 months, you can get a night free. I filled this out & Darlene signed it. We hope to return over fall or Christmas break. Even if we can't return 3 times in one year, we will definitely be back! I would give this a 6 star rating based on our room and the relaxed atmosphere!

Trip type: Travelled with family

Wow! I feel so great having you and your daughters as guest and that you had such a wonderful time! On that note, if you ever thought you had a weekend where you would like to run a Bed and Breakfast you just let me know and I'll make plans to go on vacation! Thank you so much for writing such a positive review on Tripadvisor as practically everyone searches it for comments before booking their vacation. Come back anytime and receive a 10% Discount every time you Return.
See YOU On The Farm,
Darlene

Reviewed 19 July 2016

We were traveling with our grandchildren, ages 10 and 13, and were looking for a B&B that would be "kid friendly". We could not have landed in a better place!! The farm and accommodations were perfect for us....we stayed in the Gables room and our grandchildren had their own room and beds and we didn't break the bank! The farm experience was SO enjoyable....feeding the chickens, gathering eggs, feeding the rabbits and horses and petting and learning about the goats. Great for the kiddos! Darlene was the perfect hostess sharing her stories about the evolution of Country Girl a Heart and the breakfast feast was exceptional! We would highly recommend Country Girl at Heart to visitors to the Mammoth Cave area and would absolutely return!

Date of stay: July 2016
DarleneRose28, Owner at Country Girl at Heart Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

It was a pleasure meeting you and your well behaved grandchildren and we strive to give you peace of mind on your vacation. Feel free to come back anytime and also receive your 10% discount.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

There was 4 of us women that went there and stayed 2 nights. We was welcomed there with kindness and warmth. Had a good time at the farm and visiting the Amish stores around. It was so relaxing and peaceful to be in the country. We will definitely be back. A very nice experience. Darlene was very friendly and made us feel at home.

• Trip type: Travelled with friends

It was great meeting you and I knew you were having a relaxing time in your two days here! I'm looking forward to your return visit and your 10% discount!

Reviewed 4 May 2016

Darlene is a wonderful host and created a property to make you feel at home and keep you entertained.

The farm is in the middle of nowhere (yes, I know there is stuff around and a 10 min drive to Sonic and you can see another property down the road, but really, it's out there) it's insanely quiet and a departure from the city - which is nice!

The guest area is huge and very well kept. Gentry room was large with en suite bath (I think all rooms have that). The accouterments provided in the hallway, along with the water and snacks was a thoughtful touch.

We were only there for a night on our way to Mammoth Cave (30 min drive without traffic and we found some on the highway) so we only got to say goodnight to the animals. It would have been nice to go out and feed the goats and horses in the morning.

Great place if you're looking to escape or if you have kids as there is plenty to keep them entertained (animals, books, arts & crafts, games).

One note: get/bring dinner before you arrive unless you're OK with fast food. Sonic/DQ etc. only options open late.

Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
DarleneRose28, Owner at Country Girl at Heart Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2016

Even though you had a short stay, glad to hear that you found plenty of fun while here. Next time you visit, including our 10% Return Guest Discount, try to stay a little longer so you can explore the area of Amish (especially their bakery!), Barn Quilts (well known in Hart County), antiques (in Cave City and Glendale), Kentucky Down Under (an Australian animal theme park), Abraham Lincoln boyhood home (only a short drive away) just to name a few "hot spots". Of course nothing beats peace and tranquility for those who just want to look at the stars (and we have the corner on them with no light diffusion)! Only 6 1/2 miles off Interstate 65, we welcome you anytime!