US$60
US$108
US$101
HIExpress.com
US$75
Horse Cave Motel(Horse Cave)(Great Value!)
US$55
US$72
Red Roof
US$54
US$50
All reviewsbed and breakfastmammoth cavecountry girl at heartcollecting eggsknick knacksdogs and catsgathering eggsquiet experiencefarm experienceother guestsfarm animalsfeed the animalspatriot roomfresh fruitcasseroledining tablerelaxing weekend
Reviewed 29 October 2016

Warm, adorable, well-manicured B&B with a real-world farm and all its benefits

Tips:
- If you're driving here and have the extra space, I would bring an extra pair of boots/shoes for the farm work. Luckily we were going hiking in the caves so we used the same shoes but it would have been nice to have a separate pair as the chicken coop can leave some funk in the grooves of your shoes.
- Perhaps we booked too much or opted not to stay here for 2 nights, but this is the type of place that you want to take things slow, enjoy your breakfast or cup of coffee and really relax. Sure, Darlene will put you to work (if you so desire), but the house just feels like a house you don't want or need to feel like you're in a rush in.
- If you're doing tours at Mammoth Cave, I definitely agree with her tip to not schedule before 11am (I'd even say 11:30 or 12, as parking at the Caves isn't automatic and takes a little bit it seems)

Booking: This was our first B&B and as they go, I guess the experience tends to be one that is more personable. We actually tried to book a different one online and were effectively denied (even though their website said there was availability). I have to say, I wish I had booked with Darlene. After I made a request online, we talked on the phone and she completed the reservation with a long-email with directions, what to bring (particularly extra shoes for the farm stuff), and information about the area. While I'm definitely more of an online type of a person, as B&Bs go, this seemed to be fairly straightforward

Getting there: It's definitely off the beaten path but that's to be expected (and even desired). There is a long stretch of a windy road and driving it at night was fine but required a fairly slow pace. It's not hard to find with a sign out front with plenty of parking space. I have to admit, I was surprised late at night to be greeted by the house dog, but he was super friendly after my initial startle. Even though I was late, Darlene was right there to greet me as I entered the front door.

Rooms: We stayed in the Artisan room. It was amazingly cute. Me and my fiance aren't collectors of anything, really, so we find ourselves smattering possessions in a somewhat ecclectic and maybe uncoordinated way. The room seemed to be the perfect set of knick-knacks that all fit every well. Even the bathroom seemed to be a natural extension of the room. The bathroom really is an old horse trough. Just a warning, it's got a fairly tall lip so anyone with mobility issues may have a hard time getting in and out of it. It would have been nice to have a slightly wider spray on the showerhead but this is a minor quibble.

Food: Again, this was our first B&B so we haven't done much in the way of home-cooked breakfasts but this was absolutely delicious. We had a mixed fruit cup to start which was a perfect appetizer, then dutch babies (eggy pancake) made in cast iron small individual deep pans, which she brought out while they were risen. Then she had real maple syrup to pour on them and wow, amazing. We finished it off with some amish pastries. I picked up one thinking it was cheese danish but it ended up being some sort of coconut, I believe. This was at first disappointing but still a pretty decent pastry.

Personality: This house is exceptionally well-manicured thanks to Darlene. She exudes the kind of personality that is perfect for this place. She is a clear leader who has really found her passion. Is very sociable and welcoming, traits that shouldn't be overlooked for this sort of a profession. Neither overbearing or passive but one to keep things moving and seems to keep the day and her business moving perpetually. And she makes a mean breakfast! The other family that was there was very pleasant and a treat to talk to and meet in the morning. It was a lot of fun.

Overall: This is a phenomenal place on all fronts. The house itself, the room, the experience on the farm, Darlene as a host, the food. I hope to come back again with a little more time to take a breath and enjoy the house for what it is.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
DarleneRose28, Owner at Country Girl at Heart Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Thank you so much for a thorough commentary on your wonderful stay here on the Farm. You were very kind and detailed and brought out some points that were needed like the second pair of shoes/boots, and parking taking a little bit of time at the caves. Come back soon for your 10% Return Guest Discount.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

I am not easily fooled, but the beautiful photos I saw and description I read online convinced me to drive at least an hour off of our route....especially to visit this "beautiful" farm B&B. What a huge disappointment! I love B&B's and have stayed at hundreds all over the country. This is the first negative review I have ever written on any B&B, but I had to share so others that love B&B's will know what they will really experience. This place is not "horrid" .but it is in my opinion not in anyway a B&B, and nothing like the description given. It is on par with an older Best Western hotel or maybe an Airbnb at best. There is no crime in trying to make some extra money by renting rooms out, but if you are not going to cook a decent breakfast, be honest about it. The most disappointing aspect was truly the breakfast, a fruit bowl (mine had an ant crawling around in it), extremely weak coffee, cold scrambled eggs, dried up sausage... and the only thing edible thing...biscuits. This was no different than the free breakfast at a Best Western Hotel, maybe even a little worse! The home itself was extremely cluttered, with mildew smelling blankets thrown over the sofas. While sitting on the sofa I found two more red ants crawling on me. The "guest entertainment area" is really a dingy cluttered basement, the "movies" consist of 6-8 children's movies. I wouldn't normally go to any B&B where there was no TV or Internet, but this one seemed to have things to do outside on the farm! We tried to take a walk, but it was not at all pleasant, not at all scenic, just very run down, so we returned to our room and went to bed early then left immediately after "breakfast."

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2016

I spent two nights here to explore the caves so great place to stay while exploring. My room was fabulous!! Much more then I expected! I stayed on the main floor room. Big big bathroom. Had a big window to look out at the farm area. The house is full of lovely eye candy. So much to look at in all the nooks and crannies of the house. I believe she has everything one would want. She has tons of information on where to eat, what to do and she also offers the farm experience of helping her feed the animals in the morning after breakfast. She has pigs, goats, horses, chickens, (gather eggs) ducks, cats, dogs and a bird. Kids love it here.
Breakfast is served at 8am central time. She was very kind to make something for my food intolerances. Plenty of good food is served. We all sit at one table and its nice to meet the other folks staying. Darlene is a gracious host. She has wonderful stories of her life. Again a wonderful place to stay. The other rooms are upstairs. I was so tired from the day of caves (and it was hot) and it was so nice to come back to a place like this after exploring....felt like home. Welcoming and restful.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Thank you for such a positive review. I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself. Come back again for you 10% Return Guest Discount.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

Darlene has put her heart into this bed and breakfast. It is great for a weekend getaway for family or even a girls trip. The property is beautiful and she cooks a yummy breakfast. Getting to help with the farm in the morning is cool too. I helped get eggs and feed her other animals. There is something for everyone here. Its a don't miss!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
DarleneRose28, Owner at Country Girl at Heart Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Thank you for your exuberant comments on Trip Advisor! Sounds like you were involved in all the Fun things we do here on the Farm! Come back anytime and receive your 10% Discount every time as a Return Guest!
See YOU on the Farm,
Darlene

Reviewed 28 July 2016 via mobile

I stayed overnight 7/23/16 with my teenaged daughters. We wanted to have a "girls getaway" before they left for college the following week. I had reviewed other B&Bs before choosing this one. I wanted to be "away" (no TV, no phones, no outside distractions) so we could just relax and enjoy each other's company. My goal was to have a good weekend & I hoped we could have some good memories of our getaway. Instead, we had a fantastic time, with lifelong memories to cherish.
We stayed upstairs in the Pioneer room & opted to rent the additional sitting room. The bedrooms are located upstairs, with the exception of one handicapped accessible bedroom. We loved our beautiful suite with the queen-sized bed in the main bedroom & the twin beds in the sitting room. The sitting room also has a couch that converts to a bed but we didn't have to use it. The beds are very comfy- including mattress, sheets and quilts. I would trade my king-sized bed and linens at home for that queen bed! If I had stayed longer, I would have planned to curl up in that bed to read a book.
Our room was charmingly decorated & it is apparent that each piece of furniture and small knickknack was thoughtfully chosen for the room.

The innkeeper, Darlene, kindly places a small refrigerator in the upstairs hallway with complimentary bottled water. We had a few soft drinks and were allowed to utilize this refrigerator to keep the cans chilled. The hallway also has a basket of complimentary items that one may forget to pack- toothbrush, toothpaste, band aids, hairdryer etc.

Since our plan was to just relax & spend our time together, we never left the grounds. There was plenty to do! The large finished basement is filled with board games, arts & crafts, air hockey, foosball, & a pool table. There weren't any small children there at the same time we visited, but there are many age-related toys and games for them as well (I also remember seeing a large chest with clothing to play dress-up).

The main floor includes the open dining room and sitting area with a library corner and board games. (I didn't get a chance to read but saw many "old friends" in the library corner...Nancy Drew, The Happy Hollisters, The Bobbsey Twins, as well as classic novels, travel guides, inspirational stories, Christian, educational, etc.). We mainly played board games on the main floor and talked and laughed all evening. Darlene would inconspicuously check to see if we needed anything-coffee, ice for drinks, etc.
At the end of our night, we watched a movie on the huge projection screen downstairs. Darlene has a huge selection of movies and DVDs although we had opted to bring our favorite movie from home.

Breakfast the next morning was delicious! Darlene cooked a full southern breakfast- bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, gravy, and biscuits and jam. It was enjoyable to sit at the table and mingle with the guests from other states. My daughters who have lived in Kentucky their entire lives were amazed when a guest pointed to the gravy and asked what it was. Another guest had placed sausage patties on her plate but didn't know what they were. She had eaten sausage many times but never seen it as a patty. Everyone's similarities and differences made for very interesting conversation at breakfast. Darlene also regaled the guests with stories of her journey as a B&B proprietress.

After breakfast, while the other guests departed for home or left to tour Mammoth Cave, we chose to "assist" with the farm chores. We fed the pigs leftovers, gave banana peels to the rabbits, carrots to the 3 horses, and leftovers and chicken feed to the chickens. We gathered 30+ eggs that the hens laid overnight (and bought 2 dozen to take home). We visited with the goats and enjoyed watching the ducks. My oldest daughter enjoyed the horses and chickens the most. My youngest teen spent most time with---the dogs and cats!

We couldn't have planned a better weekend. It was certainly one of the best times I've ever had with my daughters! It was well worth the money spent. My only regret is that we couldn't stay 2 nights (due to our work obligations). My girls want to come back & include their Grandma in the next "girls night".
Darlene gives repeat customers 10% off subsequent visits. If you know you're coming back, there is a brochure in the lobby to record your visits. If you stay on 3 separate occasions in 12 months, you can get a night free. I filled this out & Darlene signed it. We hope to return over fall or Christmas break. Even if we can't return 3 times in one year, we will definitely be back! I would give this a 6 star rating based on our room and the relaxed atmosphere!

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family

Wow! I feel so great having you and your daughters as guest and that you had such a wonderful time! On that note, if you ever thought you had a weekend where you would like to run a Bed and Breakfast you just let me know and I'll make plans to go on vacation! Thank you so much for writing such a positive review on Tripadvisor as practically everyone searches it for comments before booking their vacation. Come back anytime and receive a 10% Discount every time you Return.
See YOU On The Farm,