US$60
US$101
Priceline
US$75
QualityInn
Horse Cave Motel(Horse Cave)(Great Value!)
US$45
US$76
US$94
US$85
US$52
All reviewsbed and breakfastcountry girl at heartcollecting eggsmammoth caveknick knacksdogs and catsgathering eggsfarm experienceother guestsfarm animalsfeed the animalspatriot roomfresh fruitcasseroledining tablerelaxing weekendwhirlpool tub
Reviewed 13 February 2017

Props to the photographer. My husband and I were looking forward to a nice, relaxing, romantic stay at this "B&B." We arrived at a very cluttered and dusty house where we were talked to death by the owner. She told us everything about her life, the farm house, the animals... all very lengthy stories to say the least. But most of all, she somehow seemed to take every conversation and turn it back to talking about herself. When we asked questions about what places there were to eat nearby, she went off on a 15min tangent--telling an unrelated story about herself (once again). When we decided to take a walk around the farm, we got in around 5 minutes of alone-time before she came back out to talk our ear off once again. Finally we "escaped" by driving into some nearby po-dunk town eating dinner, then sneaking up the stairs to our room as quickly as we could to avoid running into the owner and being trapped in a one-sided "conversation."

Our room was ok. It was spacious and the bed was comfortable. But the heat did not shut off, the AC controls did not work, and the ceiling fan would only run on low. It was 78F in there and we couldn't get it to cool down. The decor was hodge-podge which I guess is her form of "country" decorating and everything was pretty dusty. We found 3 dead flies in our room--so I wondered how long it had been sitting empty since she had last cleaned.

Breakfast was decent enough. Although I was slightly unnerved by choosing a coffee mug out of the row (maybe 100+ coffee mugs???) sitting upright on the table since who knows how long they had been sitting collecting dust since they were last washed. The whole house just had a cluttered, dusty feeling that left me a bit claustrophobic. And OF COURSE... she held us "captive" while we ate...telling her self-focused stories.

I wish I had read all the reviews before we went there. The "game room" was a creepy, cold and mildew smelling basement overflowing with junk. Since we wanted to escape more conversations with the owner, we we were left with no alternative but to stay in our room from about 6pm on.

As I said earlier, the photographer did an EXCELLENT job making this place look quaint, inviting, and polished. I bet they get a lot of first time visitors based on the way the present it on the website. But if I were a gambler (which I am lol) I'd bet that 2nd time visitors are an uncommon occurrence.

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
DarleneRose28, Owner at Country Girl at Heart Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2017

The popularity of the Bed and Breakfast industry has grown tremendously since 2010. Most guests prefer to country vacation in a quaint little town, and stay in a private home rather than in a hotel primarily for 4 things: they are looking for the Innkeeper's story, the Inn itself and its history, the Food, and What's To Do In The Area. Our area is rich in the Amish community and I purchased an Amish farm so it is very much a big part of my story. I endeavor to provide lots of activities for our guests as many people prefer to remain on the Farm during their stay. This of course would include our very popular Recreation room with pool table, ping pong, Foosball, air hockey, movie room, jigsaw puzzles and arts and crafts. Our beautiful sunny days are so welcome even though our HVAC system is on winter mode at this time and are individually controlled in each guest's room. Thank you for your input.

Reviewed 29 October 2016

Warm, adorable, well-manicured B&B with a real-world farm and all its benefits

Tips:
- If you're driving here and have the extra space, I would bring an extra pair of boots/shoes for the farm work. Luckily we were going hiking in the caves so we used the same shoes but it would have been nice to have a separate pair as the chicken coop can leave some funk in the grooves of your shoes.
- Perhaps we booked too much or opted not to stay here for 2 nights, but this is the type of place that you want to take things slow, enjoy your breakfast or cup of coffee and really relax. Sure, Darlene will put you to work (if you so desire), but the house just feels like a house you don't want or need to feel like you're in a rush in.
- If you're doing tours at Mammoth Cave, I definitely agree with her tip to not schedule before 11am (I'd even say 11:30 or 12, as parking at the Caves isn't automatic and takes a little bit it seems)

Booking: This was our first B&B and as they go, I guess the experience tends to be one that is more personable. We actually tried to book a different one online and were effectively denied (even though their website said there was availability). I have to say, I wish I had booked with Darlene. After I made a request online, we talked on the phone and she completed the reservation with a long-email with directions, what to bring (particularly extra shoes for the farm stuff), and information about the area. While I'm definitely more of an online type of a person, as B&Bs go, this seemed to be fairly straightforward

Getting there: It's definitely off the beaten path but that's to be expected (and even desired). There is a long stretch of a windy road and driving it at night was fine but required a fairly slow pace. It's not hard to find with a sign out front with plenty of parking space. I have to admit, I was surprised late at night to be greeted by the house dog, but he was super friendly after my initial startle. Even though I was late, Darlene was right there to greet me as I entered the front door.

Rooms: We stayed in the Artisan room. It was amazingly cute. Me and my fiance aren't collectors of anything, really, so we find ourselves smattering possessions in a somewhat ecclectic and maybe uncoordinated way. The room seemed to be the perfect set of knick-knacks that all fit every well. Even the bathroom seemed to be a natural extension of the room. The bathroom really is an old horse trough. Just a warning, it's got a fairly tall lip so anyone with mobility issues may have a hard time getting in and out of it. It would have been nice to have a slightly wider spray on the showerhead but this is a minor quibble.

Food: Again, this was our first B&B so we haven't done much in the way of home-cooked breakfasts but this was absolutely delicious. We had a mixed fruit cup to start which was a perfect appetizer, then dutch babies (eggy pancake) made in cast iron small individual deep pans, which she brought out while they were risen. Then she had real maple syrup to pour on them and wow, amazing. We finished it off with some amish pastries. I picked up one thinking it was cheese danish but it ended up being some sort of coconut, I believe. This was at first disappointing but still a pretty decent pastry.

Personality: This house is exceptionally well-manicured thanks to Darlene. She exudes the kind of personality that is perfect for this place. She is a clear leader who has really found her passion. Is very sociable and welcoming, traits that shouldn't be overlooked for this sort of a profession. Neither overbearing or passive but one to keep things moving and seems to keep the day and her business moving perpetually. And she makes a mean breakfast! The other family that was there was very pleasant and a treat to talk to and meet in the morning. It was a lot of fun.

Overall: This is a phenomenal place on all fronts. The house itself, the room, the experience on the farm, Darlene as a host, the food. I hope to come back again with a little more time to take a breath and enjoy the house for what it is.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
DarleneRose28, Owner at Country Girl at Heart Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Thank you so much for a thorough commentary on your wonderful stay here on the Farm. You were very kind and detailed and brought out some points that were needed like the second pair of shoes/boots, and parking taking a little bit of time at the caves. Come back soon for your 10% Return Guest Discount.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

I am not easily fooled, but the beautiful photos I saw and description I read online convinced me to drive at least an hour off of our route....especially to visit this "beautiful" farm B&B. What a huge disappointment! I love B&B's and have stayed at hundreds all over the country. This is the first negative review I have ever written on any B&B, but I had to share so others that love B&B's will know what they will really experience. This place is not "horrid" .but it is in my opinion not in anyway a B&B, and nothing like the description given. It is on par with an older Best Western hotel or maybe an Airbnb at best. There is no crime in trying to make some extra money by renting rooms out, but if you are not going to cook a decent breakfast, be honest about it. The most disappointing aspect was truly the breakfast, a fruit bowl (mine had an ant crawling around in it), extremely weak coffee, cold scrambled eggs, dried up sausage... and the only thing edible thing...biscuits. This was no different than the free breakfast at a Best Western Hotel, maybe even a little worse! The home itself was extremely cluttered, with mildew smelling blankets thrown over the sofas. While sitting on the sofa I found two more red ants crawling on me. The "guest entertainment area" is really a dingy cluttered basement, the "movies" consist of 6-8 children's movies. I wouldn't normally go to any B&B where there was no TV or Internet, but this one seemed to have things to do outside on the farm! We tried to take a walk, but it was not at all pleasant, not at all scenic, just very run down, so we returned to our room and went to bed early then left immediately after "breakfast."

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2016

I spent two nights here to explore the caves so great place to stay while exploring. My room was fabulous!! Much more then I expected! I stayed on the main floor room. Big big bathroom. Had a big window to look out at the farm area. The house is full of lovely eye candy. So much to look at in all the nooks and crannies of the house. I believe she has everything one would want. She has tons of information on where to eat, what to do and she also offers the farm experience of helping her feed the animals in the morning after breakfast. She has pigs, goats, horses, chickens, (gather eggs) ducks, cats, dogs and a bird. Kids love it here.
Breakfast is served at 8am central time. She was very kind to make something for my food intolerances. Plenty of good food is served. We all sit at one table and its nice to meet the other folks staying. Darlene is a gracious host. She has wonderful stories of her life. Again a wonderful place to stay. The other rooms are upstairs. I was so tired from the day of caves (and it was hot) and it was so nice to come back to a place like this after exploring....felt like home. Welcoming and restful.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo

Thank you for such a positive review. I am so glad that you enjoyed yourself. Come back again for you 10% Return Guest Discount.

Reviewed 17 August 2016

Darlene has put her heart into this bed and breakfast. It is great for a weekend getaway for family or even a girls trip. The property is beautiful and she cooks a yummy breakfast. Getting to help with the farm in the morning is cool too. I helped get eggs and feed her other animals. There is something for everyone here. Its a don't miss!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
DarleneRose28, Owner at Country Girl at Heart Farm Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2016

Thank you for your exuberant comments on Trip Advisor! Sounds like you were involved in all the Fun things we do here on the Farm! Come back anytime and receive your 10% Discount every time as a Return Guest!
See YOU on the Farm,