“a surprised experience”

First Farm Inn Horseback Riding
More attraction details
Owner description: Two-hour riding lessons are available year-round at First Farm Inn for both B&B guests and those who aren't staying with us. Call to make a reservation. Lessons begin with grooming and getting acquainted with your horse. We tack up, mount safely and correctly, then begin in the riding arena, working on basic commands and getting comfortable with your horse. After you have demonstrated control and respect for your horse, we move out and practice riding through the woods and around the farm. Horses can be unpredictable. By coming to the farm, you accept responsibility and all liability for your experience on the ground or riding. First Farm Inn horses are a colorful assortment of breeds and personalities that will be matched as much as possible to your personality and physical attributes. It's a very individual experience, no more than five riders in each lesson. More experienced riders report riding at First Farm Inn is "like owning your own horse" but with coaching to ensure that you are safely centered and balanced.
Reviewed 7 September 2013

my husband took my daughter and i on a surprise day trip, and we went to first farm inn for horseback riding. i really wasn't looking forward to a day trip, because i'd rather stay at home and do my own routine but once we got there, the grounds itself was very peaceful. and the day only got better as we learned about the horses and had hands on with the horses and the owner/guides were very helpful in us understanding things about the horses before we rode. then we took about a 2 hour horseback riding experience that left me feeling very tranquil as we went home. i must say, i'm not one that likes to try new things but i highly recommend this experience for anyone and their families. and i can't wait to return one day.

1  Thank michele p
There are newer reviews for First Farm Inn Horseback Riding

Reviewed 6 September 2013

I love how the horses are loved and well cared for. I also like the way the owner tells you about the personality of each horse.

When you get there none of the horses are prepped. While I like grooming horses, most people do not. It could be seen that the owner is putting the rider to "work" by making them groom the horse, saddle, unsaddle, and wash the horse at the end. In my experience most people do not want to "pay" to work. If this is not the type of experience you want, then don't go here. But, if you want the whole experience, this is the place you want to be.

1  Thank Jill R
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I loved how patient Jen was with us being as how we were unexperienced riders. I wanted my son to learn about caring for horses as well as learning how to ride. He had never been on a horse. Jen was careful in picking out horses to suit our inexperience and our height.

Reviewed 13 March 2013

We took several family members to First Farm Inn for a couple hours of trail riding. It started as a Valentine's Day gift to my wife, but kept growing as family members discovered what we were doing. The experience was awesome. First, the horses are immaculate, well behaved, and loved by Jen, the owner. She is an expert horse woman and an outstanding teacher who was able to corral six novices into a very fun riding experience. Her knowledge of the horses is amazing. From personality types to the breed of horse, she is very well versed and a wealth of knowledge. The atmosphere is very casual, but you still feel as though you have excellent instruction to keep things safe. Her horses are well kept and majestic. I have been trail riding multiple places; however, I have never seen horses that are this well kept.

1  Thank David D
Reviewed 18 December 2012

I have been riding at Jen's for about 5 years now, I think it is about time to leave a review! :))) I think one of the first things that are worth mentioning about the riding experience is the fact that you will get a whole lot of education about horses and everything equine, while you are with Jen. She does not believe in sticking you on top of tacked horse and walking you single file, like many other places like to do (for safety sake, or to make it easier on the guides, I was never able to figure out!)
She will ask you to groom and tack your horse before you ride, so you have time to bond with it first. Jen giudes you through the whole process of course, giving you a whole lot of useful information about equine behavior, tack and riding.
First Farm Inn is the ONLY place I have ever been to that allows you to trot AND canter even if it is your first time, as long as you feel comfortable with it! Most people, especially kids are quite excited about that! And of course, it is wonderful if you are an experienced rider like myself. If you are clearly an experienced rider, Jen will even let you break off the group and "horse around" on your . I have ridden in places where I was 100% positive that I am as good or better rider than my guide, and I was not allowed to even trot, because of "SAFETY RULES". Jen cares deeply about safety, but at the same time she manages to balance it with appropriate amount of fun, which is easy most of the time - most of her horses are quite easy to handle.
Now about the B&B - a couple of years ago I had to leave KY, since my husband is military. But now, we have an excuse to stay in her wonderful B&B whenever we come to visit!!! It is just lovely - an old charming famhouse, with beautiful stained glass hangings, quilts on beds and a hot tub in the back!!!! Nothing better after a long fun ride!
And get this - teh B&B is eco-friendly. I have ridden and stayed at First Farm Inn enough to learn quite a bit about the B&B and I was absolutely delighted to learn that Jen, the owner is absolutely committed to making the impact of her business on the environment as small as possible. EVERYTHING in the house is eco-friendly - all of her appliances are high efficiency, and she hardly uses her dryer, because all of her laundry gets sun-dried! How cool is that?! I know she does a whole lot of othre things to be eco-friendly, but I do not know all the details - you must ask her to tell you when you visit, it is amazing.
Now, the breakfast, oh that breakfast.... It is always out of this world, but that is to be expected of a B&B. What you would not expect is that a lot of her dishes are what you would call healthy food! Multigrain pancakes are the best! So you can stay fit while vacationing. That is just awesome.
I could probably go on, because I have imressions from more than 30 rides and multiple stays to share, but I I think that there too many things that set First Farm Inn apart from others to mention. But one thing is clear - it is worth visiting, for sure.

2  Thank EkaterinaReier