“Amazing ride”

First Farm Inn Horseback Riding
More attraction details
Owner description: Two-hour riding lessons are available year-round at First Farm Inn for both B&B guests and those who aren't staying with us. Call to make a reservation. Lessons begin with grooming and getting acquainted with your horse. We tack up, mount safely and correctly, then begin in the riding arena, working on basic commands and getting comfortable with your horse. After you have demonstrated control and respect for your horse, we move out and practice riding through the woods and around the farm. Horses can be unpredictable. By coming to the farm, you accept responsibility and all liability for your experience on the ground or riding. First Farm Inn horses are a colorful assortment of breeds and personalities that will be matched as much as possible to your personality and physical attributes. It's a very individual experience, no more than five riders in each lesson. More experienced riders report riding at First Farm Inn is "like owning your own horse" but with coaching to ensure that you are safely centered and balanced.
Reviewed 7 October 2014

First Farm inn is a very fun place to ride horses. Jen was very informative and helpful, she treats her guests with respect and as well as all of her horses. Over all it was very fun

1  Thank Ellenreview

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I liked how well Jen covered all aspects of horse care. That included, grooming, putting on the gear, how to approach them, and how to ride them, and finally how to take off the gear and cool them down. She took us around together in a fenced area and taught us how to work with each horse. Some of the horses are a bit more stubborn then the others, and she gave us help and pointers on how to hold the reins and show them we were in charge.I learned a great deal, and felt very equipped by the time we went out on the trail. Was a very worth while time.

1  Thank Bobbi W
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed at First Farm Inn overnight and ended up horseback riding as well. I loved how this was not "just for the experience" (though it was a great experience), but also educational. Jen is full of great information about horses, as well as so many other things! She really let the horses' individual personality shine while making sure we were all safe and prepared.

1  Thank FrogLlama
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was very excited when my name was announced at my employee party for winning a $100 gift certificate to the first farm inn. I even traded in my Kings Island tickets because I could only win one prize since the value was over $100. Well that was a bad mistake. I first called the Inn to schedule our horseback riding trip. I was very excited to go, but on our way our car broke down. I had to call and cancel because there was no way we'd make the hour drive in time. Upon my cancelation they were not too friendly and showed no concern even though I explained we had a broken down car. I then called a couple weeks later to reschedule. While I was on the phone, I was rudely interrupted by the owner screaming demeaningly "stear away from that tree" and then telling me she was on a tour right now without even apologizing for the demeaning tone she just used with the customer she was with. I then proceeded to tell her I was hoping for a three o clock appointment. She acted like it was a real inconvenience but said she would do it. We showed up a half hour early, only to be confused as to where to check in. There was a one lane driveway with about two parking spaces, both of which were full. In fear of blocking another guest in, I pulled next to the two parked cars. Two of my tires were on the driveway and two were partially in the grass(which was all dead). I live on a farm myself and we park in the grass all the time, its not like it was landscaped so I thought nothing of it. As the owner came up finishing her previous tour a little after 3, which is the time my appointment was for, she rudely says to me "could you not park in the middle of the yard I mean there is plenty of asphalt out there." She then made some mean remark I cannot remember to the little girl who was on tour with her. I was not in the middle of the yard and there was no where else to park. We then just got in the car and left. Even though we could have gone horseback riding for free (a $100 value) the rudeness and demeaning manor taken on from this business owner was something I did not want to deal with. I have been on a 2 hour horseback ride for $25 and loved every minute of it at brown county so I had high expectations for a $100 ride. Not to mention at the First Farm Inn it seems half the horseback ride was on the road. Real horseback rides are on trails, which I'm sure is hard to do on only 20 acres, I own more land than that. Needless to say next time I will be taking kings island tickets over this!

8  Thank K B
Jen313, Owner at First Farm Inn Horseback Riding, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

What a shame this girl chose to miss out on riding on the first sunny warm day of spring after days and days of rain. Lots of other people rode that day and had a great time.
Following directions and using common sense is very important in most phases of life, particularly activities that can be dangerous. Deliberately avoiding an asphalt parking area that includes more than 60’ of driveway and a 90’x 24’ asphalt pad indicates a lack of both. Obviously this girl has never cared for a lawn—or she wouldn’t park on one, especially when it would have been so easy to park in the drive.
When we rode up to this couple it was obvious they ignored all the directions printed on her gift certificate.
This is a very small business, there isn’t anyone sitting around waiting to entertain people who show up a half hour early. I do all I can to ensure guests get good value and instruction for their investment. The group before this woman was slightly delayed so we came back a couple minutes late.
Riding outside with a group means you must raise your voice to be heard. The little girl I “screamed at rudely” comes regularly to ride with her grandpa. Riding with me has gotten her over fears from bad riding experiences elsewhere. Go to the First Farm Inn bed and breakfast Facebook page for photos of not only this group that I “spoke to rudely” but more happy parents, couples, friends and grandparents riding with their happy kids. Several riders were fearful and timid at the outset yet gained enough confidence (by listening to me “screaming” during their ride) to trot on their own by the end.
Because it is so difficult to catch people with return calls, I sometimes answer the phone while on a ride. My highest priority is my riders’ safety. Because horses (and humans) are unpredictable, I can’t anticipate when a person will not notice they are about to be brushed into a branch. We are outside. There is distance between horses. There are other ambience noises. That means one must project one’s voice. The primary complaint I get is that riders can’t heard me.
Most “trail rides” follow nose-to-tail at a walk, often on horses that are drugged or simply too tired, sore, hungry or poorly cared-for to do anything else. First Farm Inn horses are healthy, happy, well trained and able to do anything their riders ask.
When this girl called to cancel, I simply allowed her to reschedule -- despite having scheduled my entire day to be available at the time she originally requested. While I had a very busy day the second time she called— I gave up plans for the rest of my day to fit into her schedule, but she drove off in a huff to trash me online.
Please see the First Farm Inn Facebook page or website for legitmate comments by people who actually rode with me.

Reviewed 5 November 2013

I took my 12 year old daughter and her friend here for an overnight stay and some horseback riding. Both girls have been riding regularly for almost a year now and thought they knew everything there is to know about horses. Jen is so knowledgeable. They definitely learned a thing or two from her. She takes such good care of her horses. I think their favorite part was getting to pick out their horse, groom, and saddle up. It was a great time to bond and get to know them before you ride. This is a wonderful place for any animal lover. We also loved playing fetch with her dog and swinging on the tree swings. If you have the chance, be sure to spend the night. Our room was very clean and cozy. And Jen is an awesome cook, so be ready for a great breakfast using fresh, healthy ingredients!

3  Thank Teresa S