“Good Ole Charm”
Review of Carriss's Grocery

Carriss's Grocery
Ranked #16 of 61 Restaurants in Shelbyville
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Let me start with the obvious. This place is not McDonalds! If you're adventurous, take 64, then take exit 35 and make a left off the exit if coming from Lexington or a right from Louisville. Take 714 about 5 miles to the blinking light and you're there.
And old gem of a store with a family style seating/eating area awaits you in the back. There you will find the deli case with a few choices of meats and cheeses. They have daily specials to mix it up from their specialty...the bacon cheeseburger and fries. They offer sandwiches too.
I enjoyed the food and the view...just sitting in a working store that reminds you of times gone by.... And yet there it is. I was welcomed and instantly felt part of the community. I watched one of the owners making a big batch of potato salad...mustard style, yum!
I plan on stopping by as often as I can!!!

2  Thank Deanlexky

Reviewed 12 December 2013

One of our favorite places to stop for lunch when passing through this way. It's like going back in time.....farmers sitting around the pot belly stove during the winter, people move over and share their table with you if you need a spot to sit and eat, get your own drink and ice from a cooler, friendly owners, amazing burgers and southern hospitality from the locals. Highly recommend a stop here.

3  Thank Ellen D
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We stopped in at Cariss's to buy some bait on our way to Taylorsville Lake, but they were out. They told us their usual guy hadn't come in recently. My husband saw their restaurant in the back of the store and the homemade pie sitting on the counter, so we ended up staying to eat before we headed out to fish.

It looks like they make a specific meal each day that you can get or they will make sandwiches and burgers to order. The day we stopped in, they had stuffed peppers and mashed potatoes. My husband ordered a hamburger with fries and some ice tea, and I had a grilled cheese sandwich. It's like walking into your grandmother's kitchen. You get up and get your own drink; there's ice in a cooler with a scoop and cups sitting out. And everyone sitting at the tables chats across the tables with one another and the cook(s). It reminded my husband of days past, living in a small town. We just knew my in-laws would love this place and plan to take them there when they come to visit us.

After my hubby had his pie, we paid up front at the store's cash register. Near the register were some of the largest zucchini I've ever seen, with a sign on them: "Free" (My photo does not do them justice. I should have held one up. Just one of them would have made a couple loaves of zucchini bread.) I was encouraged to take some with me, but we were on our way out to get on a boat, so it wasn't a good time. They told us to stop in on the way back, but unfortunately we were tired on the way back and didn't stop.

Overall, it was a cute old-fashioned store (with a wide variety of stuff on the shelves) and a restaurant (snack shop) that makes you feel like you are spending time with family. We liked it and will definitely stop in again.

3  Thank Nina F