“Worth going out of your way for”
Review of Mordecai's

Ranked #1 of 14 Restaurants in Springfield
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

Our trip to Mordecai's was everything you expect in a small town, from the friendly, efficient staff, to the hot, delicious meal. We had fried pickles as an appetizer, and I will confess, I was planning on skipping them because I don't like pickles. I ate one to be courteous, but the next two were because they were delicious! I loved the batter that had a tiny kick to it. All three of us has the Mahi mahi sandwich, which was exceptional. I had onion rings with mine, which were coated with the same delicious batter.
Wonderful meal!

Reviewed 26 March 2017

I went to Mordecai's the first time in 2013 and always wanted to go back. I gave it a positive review on Tripadvisor & recommended it to several people. Well, that has changed!
Today, a friend & I drove over an hour just to have the buffet. When we arrived at 4 pm we walked around the buffet and noticed there were only 4 side dishes: green beans, baked potatoes, corn on the cob and cooked apples. We asked if more vegetables were going to be served and were told "no". The only other items were baked chicken, peel & eat shrimp, crab legs, a roast, soup and the basic salad bar. The only dessert was slices of sheet cake. Although the buffet was minimal, we took some items (no shrimp or crab) since we had driven so far with the intention of having the buffet. There was no bread so we had to ask for it. We immediately noticed the roast was cold. The green beans were flavorful but lukewarm, as were the apples. As we were finishing our meal, the staff added fried shrimp, frog legs, clams and fried fish to the buffet. At this point, not only were we full from the meal we had eaten, we didn't know there was going to be a seafood buffet and didn't go there with the intention of having it. When the waitress brought the bill, it was $30.52 per person just for the buffet! I explained to the waitress that the full buffet wasn't available when we got there and we had not eaten the crab or the shrimp that was out when we arrived. We didn't even have the dessert. I asked if she could adjust the bill to perhaps the cost of the lunch buffet. She went to ask the manager and didn't return. About 5 minutes later the manager walked up to the table and rudely said, "Do you all need something?". I repeated the same request I had made to the waitress. The manager's response was "That's what everybody pays. I can't do anything about it. The owner isn't here and there's no point in calling him because he's going to say the same thing: that's what everybody pays". (We had just heard the waitress tell another customer he could go to the salad bar for $3.99 a plate).
Not only was the buffet outrageously overpriced and the food mediocre, the manager was unnecessarily rude and lacked basic customer service skills. The waitress was not rude but never once offered us a drink refill. She did, however, spend a significant amount of time holding and playing with a co-worker's baby.
We paid our bill and left. Both of us so disappointed and frustrated that we vowed to never return and never recommend this restaurant to anyone.

1  Thank bigggreydogg
Reviewed 18 January 2017

Mordecai's is a rare jewel in this beautiful small town. The food is excellent, service is great and the people are so friendly. I love bringing people here for lunch or dinner! Never disappoints!

Reviewed 29 November 2016

I visited with my family to meet more family for a get-together. The buffet featured lots of varieties such as roast beef - good, fried catfish, shrimp - not good, vegetables, salads, soups, great desserts. Big area for groups plus a sports bar.

Reviewed 24 November 2016

We took a friend over to Mordecai's for lunch last week. We've been wanting to eat there for years, but we finally got around to it. Sad that we waited so long, and missed an opportunity for good food and good service. We all ordered the lunch buffet, and were extremely pleased all around. Our server was pleasant and competent, and even when there was an issue, she made everything right. On top of that, our friend asked if there was a "take-out" on the buffet. For $10, he walked out with enough food for three of his next meals.