See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 October 2016 via mobile

This is the first time I've written a negative review of a hotel..
we come to this area often because we have family in the area.. we've actually stayed here several times in the past 10 years and had great experiences, but it was sold and under new ownership.
The hotel is old, that's a given. I don't mind old hotels they're kind of charming. However, I do mind dirty hotels. At check in they take your money upfront rather than waiting when you check out.
We brushed away cobwebs to get in our door. That didn't alarm me, cobwebs can happen overnight.
The musty smell of the room was a bit overwhelming. The carpet looked clean but that was deceiving. It wasn't clean.. the white towels were dingy, almost yellow ...we reserved 2 rooms and the room our daughter stayed in didn't even have towels in it..the shampoo bottles provided had been used they were 1/2 empty.. I went to make coffee and they only provided decaf, so I went to the office to get regular... they had to raid empty rooms to find a couple of packs of regular coffee, upon making it I realized either the coffee pot hadn't been used in many many months .. or the coffee they found me was years old. Or both.
I went to the office to complain about dried feces on the back of the commode but there wasn't anyone in the office. So we used cleaning supplies and gloves from our car to clean the mess ourselves. The night office manager was nice enough and tried to be helpful.. I only noticed a maid once during our 3 day stay.. she was nice enough when I asked for fresh towels. Maid service never entered our rooms we took our own trash out.. we bought a small coffee pot and a can of fresh coffee, we even bought blankets because there was only a sheet and bed spread on our bed .. we didn't want the bed spread touching our skin. While the sheets weren't crisp white they looked pretty clean.
The activity in the motel parking lot needs to be seriously monitored. I don't sleep well and was outside my room several times smoking. There's a lot of people in and out ALL night long ....it's sketchy to say the least. Do yourself a favor.. keep driving!! Don't stay here.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2016

To assist readers, I break down my hotel reviews into different categories. I rate each on a scale of 1 to 5. Hope it helps.

CUSTOMER SERVICE: 5/5
To start, I must give thanks to the night clerk at Cumberland Lodge Motel in Russell Springs for referring me to the Parkland, the only place with vacancies within an hour’s drive. To be safe, I called the Parkland and reserved a room. When I arrived they were expecting me and my check-in was painless. Later when I called the front desk for the wifi password, he had me confirm my name and room number, which is the right way to handle it.

APPEARANCE: 3/5
I grade a place based on its competition within the lodging hierarchy. The Parkland Motel is a no-frills property, and appears to be the only lodging establishment in Stearns, KY. While I don’t expect any managed property to be a dump, I do expect some wear and tear at roadside motels. The Parkland is neither a dump nor an impeccably maintained motel. My double queen unit was clean-ish, but definitely showed its age. A dead wasp and couple other bugs were casualties of the heat that may have been there for days for all I knew. The wallpaper was starting to peel and the room smelled of baked must. But the beds were made, carpets vacuumed (aside from said insects) and there were no signs of obvious neglect, aside from age.

FUNCTIONS, ACCESS, NOISE: 2.5/5
I’ll start with the good. Once I got the password, the wifi worked well even in extended coverage. The TV was an old tube unit, but it had a decent picture and responded well to its remote. There was plenty of light in the room once I flipped all the available switches.

My main criticism was with the AC unit, a manually operated dinosaur with no thermostat. Even on full blast, it felt no cooler than 85 degrees. I suspect a new filter was needed. And if you need plenty of wall outlets to power up your gear, you’ll need to time-share the few available ones.

If you must have easy room access, you’ll need to request a first floor unit. This is a outdoor entry motel with no elevator.

I experienced a some tolerable noise bleed from other rooms into mine, but it wasn’t terrible. There was no sketchy activity outside in the parking lot, at least the night I was there.

SLEEP QUALITY: 3/5
Pretty much what I expected for a 1-2 star motel. Older spring mattress, not much back support, but it didn’t feel like an accidental waterbed, which I’ve encountered in similar motels. If the AC had done its job, I would’ve slept better.

BATH: 4/5
The acrylic bath counter looked like marble swirl ice cream, not that you stay at the Parkland Motel for its decor. Tackiness aside, the vanity and toilet/shower areas were in fine shape. Very clean with none of the usual bathroom grime and wall damage I tend to find at motels of this ilk. The toilet flushed reliably and the average showerhead delivered better than average pressure.

EXTRAS: 3/5
Well... there is an outdoor pool. I didn’t take a dip myself, but it didn’t look too dodgy. Beyond that, I’m not sure what extras you can count on. Free coffee I suppose.

VALUE: 4/5
I paid $52.80 for the night. Not that you’ll find other options in Stearns, KY, but if you discover anything cheaper on S Highway 27, it’s probably worth driving past. It definitely sufficed for a one-night flop.

TOTAL: 24.5 out of 35
My grade: 3 stars (Decent)

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 January 2016

The staff took great care of me. The owner knew that the event I was attending did not start until later in the day, and she allowed me to stay past the check-out time without paying any extra. My room was clean and comfortable. I would definitely stay at Parkland again.

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Stephanie W
Reviewed 6 July 2015

The Motel is so run down, cracks under the door that lets light in; holes in the window
dressings, bed spreads; carpet is filthy; no stoppers in the bathroom sinks; mattresses
on the beds in my room were so old and beat up they looked and felt as if they came over on the Mayflower. The box springs on one bed had something spilled on it and had run down the side......absolutely GROSS!!! I was so glad to get out of there.

Room Tip: Keep Driving!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank sctt14wjs
Reviewed 1 March 2015

The staff were great rooms were clean only prob was no ice for my JB and honey . We live close so the wife and I kick it at parkland regularly .thanks to the staff for your service and kindness we will be back again and again and again and again and again and again and again

• Stayed: February 2015