“Slowest service ever ”

Lava Cantina Downtown BR
Ranked #671 of 1,137 Restaurants in Baton Rouge
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Visited in March in a beautiful sunny day to eat outside on Latino. Waited ten minutes for hostess to return to hostess stand and get a table. After she seated us, we ordered appetizers and drinks. We got our appetizers big had to hunt her down to get our water. Other friends tried to join us as they passed by and saw us outside and the hostess informed them they wouldn’t be seating anyone else for 15 more minutes —this is 3:15 in afternoon and the place isn’t that busy. Had to wait over an hour just to place order. Food is good but not sure it’s worth the wait.

Reviewed 26 January 2018 via mobile

I’m a single man from ATL here on business looking for something different to eat and when I was passing by and heard the angelic sound of H & O I can’t go for that...... I was sold! Didn’t care what the food was about but after my awesome bartender Marleigh suggested the gator taco, crawfish taco and roasted duck taco I knew that I made the right choice. The food was almost as good as the bartender which is pretty MF’n awesome! Thank you Marleigh!!

Reviewed 21 January 2018

We had heard this place wasn't that great but decided to try for ourselves. We went here on a Friday evening. It wasn't very crowded and we were seated immediately. Chips were good. The queso was average. We had quesadillas and fajitas for our entrees. The fajitas meat was pretty good, but the tortillas were clearly store bought and weren't very good. The rice and beans were very bland. We continue to search for a good Mexican restaurant in BR. On a positive note, the service was very good. Just don't expect much from the food.

Reviewed 20 December 2017 via mobile

I am very sad to report, not for the first time, we had the absolute worst experience here. The kitchen was deplorably slow and the patio was so discussing and filthy. I didn’t realize it at first but after waiting over an hour for our food, I looked down and saw my dogs were black with filth from the damp patio floor. I’m still trying to wash it out of their fur...eewww...do y’all ever clean it out there? Then the manager said this is the first complaint he’s ever had. Really?!?!?! We’ve had so many bad service experiences here then we come back thinking it will be better and it’s worse. I’m not trying to be a complainer but you clearly have a serious problem here. There is obviously a drug problem amongst the wait staff and I’m starting to think the management too. I honestly don’t know how this place stays in business.

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

I enjoyed a couple of drinks and had a “take-a-way” order to return to my hotel room. The service was friendly and quick and the quality of the food was very good. It is a “trendy” place and I think popular with locals who work or live in the downtown area. Prices were reasonable. I’ll be back!