“Evocative”

US$150.00*
Small-Group Airboat Swamp Adventure and Plantation Tour from New Orleans
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Destrehan
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1787, this is the oldest plantation house in the Lower Mississippi Valley.
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Just a 30 minute drive from New Orleans, this unassuming house sits close to the Mississippi River and is a beautifully peaceful location. Our guide took us round the house and explained the work done by the staff and owners of the plantation, with interesting detail about the building and its construction over the years, with history spanning indigo, sugar and petrochemical production. I was fascinated to learn that the film "Interview with a Vampire" was filmed here (and having since watched it, there are plenty of views of the house featured in it). The guides wear period costume and are very informative. Photography is permitted throughout, apart from the Jefferson Room (which houses an original document signed by Thomas Jefferson). There are slave quarters behind the house and a fascinating exhibition on the 1811 slave revolt. There is a gift shop and an adjoining room containing tourist information leaflets.

1  Thank Tosca1962

Reviewed 26 September 2017

Informative guide, lovely home, interesting history, beautiful grounds, gift shop, adequate parking. If visiting New Orleans, it's only about a 30 min. drive. Great for day trip.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

We had a great experience at this plantation home. The tour guide was Brenda, she was terrific. She was very knowledgeable about the property, laws of that time, and the family history of the owners. Definitely one of my favorite tours of our trip.

1  Thank TCB21
Reviewed 27 August 2017

I am awestruck hearing the stories of the long life of this majestic home and as I walk in the rooms where it all took place. Not all of the stories are good, as is the nature of history, but they are all provocative, they make me think. The added touch of the costumed and very well versed guides elevates the experience. I loved this, my first River Road plantation tour. I plan to see more.

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Well I had the most amazing tour I have ever been on today. The house and grounds are absolutely stunning but the tour guide made my day and possibly my trip. Beverly was sweet, knowledgeable, entertaining and amazing. I wish I could have taken her along for the rest of my tours while in Louisiana. I will be recommending this plantation over all the others I've seen by far.