“Pasta for days!”

Ranked #3 of 54 Restaurants in Harahan
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 December 2016

Sometimes a girl just has a craving for a massive amount of pasta, and when that craving hit, I found myself at Oak Oven eating some of the best pasta I have ever had.

I knew I would be in the area, and a friend of mine lives nearby, so we made plans to grab an early-ish dinner here. Since the website suggests reservations, I made reservations about two hours before we arrived. We were seated without a hitch (and I'm glad I called ahead because the small place filled up fast).

This is a cozy little restaurant, off the beaten path and the atmosphere feels as if you are dining at a family home. Everything on the menu sounded incredible, but I had to go with the Penne Diavola which is penne and gulf shrimp, blue crab, and a spicy red sauce. I won't lie- I got the large and ate every bite with no problem. The pasta was cooked perfectly, the shrimp were nice and plump (and plentiful!) and the crab added the perfect touch. The sauce was a bit spicy-sweet and after adding parmesan, it was the perfect dinner. I coupled it with a glass of delicious red wine which put the meal over the top. Because you only live once, I also decided to get the creme brulee for dessert. Delicious custard was topped with a yummy sugary shell and it was a splendid end to the meal.

I agree with Kelley's assessment that Oak Oven is a hidden gem, and I will be going out of my way to dine here again.

Reviewed 20 November 2016

We ordered 2 pizzas for pick up. Worst pizza we've ever had. Small for the price, toppings were 3" from edge of crust, and both pizzas were hardly warm. What sounded enticing and delicious was absolutely not what we got. Will never eat here again. Complete rip off. When I asked for jalepenos, they acted like I asked for something foreign and weird. Order Domino's and save your money.

1  Thank Monique A
Reviewed 22 October 2016 via mobile

We made a reservation on Wednesday two weeks ago with our boy Mike Cascio.Well we got there for 7 table was set.Our friend Mike waited on us he told us about the appetizers and Mike ordered us Frutti De golfo and oyster app and Mike suggested a hand made papperdelle as and app all was great.The entrees we had the Panne veal,the Diablo great dish and the Speggetti puttanesca with the drum on top was wonderful so thank you Mike Jared and the whole team at oak oven

Reviewed 18 October 2016

Food was pretty good but service was about the worst I have ever experienced. We were part of a fairly large group, and we were allowed separate checks, which can cause problems, and did. Usually it is a matter of something being shifted to the wrong check - which we all would have worked out among ourselves. In this case everyone had wrong things added to their checks, but all the correct items were included. The server was not happy, and told my wife as she left that the problems were "all her fault."
Needless to say, we won't be going back, which is too bad, because we really wanted to like it, since it's convenient and we had heard good things about it.

Reviewed 2 October 2016

I have nothing but superlatives for this little roadside gem in Harahan, not a place we normally go in search of good food. But a friend raved, comparing its pizza to that at Domenica, one of our favorite restaurants in New Orleans. We also love Avo and Mariza, and except for Oak Oven's more modest digs and vey casual ambiance, it belongs in the same category.

The menu is dominated by familiar Italian dishes, with a few contemporary twists, but this is not your typical mom-and-pop Italian. Besides having an obviously a talented chef in the kitchen, Oak Oven has a farm-to-table sensibility, minus the side of hype.
You don't need to be told of their commitment to top-notch ingredients; you taste them, right down to the cheese the servers will grate onto your pasta or pizza.

That pizza is fabulous, with a thin, chewy crust that is delicious in itself. The Maiale (with roast pork, fennel sausage, smoky bacon, and caramelized onion) made us swoon, but there are several other options, including classics and more innovative takes. We've had the Caesar (perfect--cold, crisp romaine, lightly dressed, crunchy croutons) on each of three visits. Each time, they happily split the salad for us and added anchovies (white!), as we requested. We tried an appetizer special of fried oysters (on a pool of aioli, drizzled with spicy tomato sauce) that was excellent.

Most of the pastas are house-made--and a plus is that most pasta dishes are available in two sizes (the "small" struck us as a generous serving). Pappardelle (tender pasta ribbons in a light, lemony sauce) with jumbo shrimp and artichokes and cherry tomatoes was fresh and bright. The lasagne (while not light) is right up there with the stellar versions at Domenica and Avo: pasta layered with complex meat sauce and excellent cheeses. The stracci (pasta "rags") with spicy pork ragu was also very good--and hearty enough that the small portion was plenty enough for my husband. We saw great-looking veal dishes on other tables and were tempted by the daily specials. We can't wait to get back and try some other dishes.

I've read some complaints about service, but that has not been our experience at all. With friendly, accommodating service, suburban prices, and ample parking--and food that stands up to any we can find in New Orleans--we do not mind the 15-20 minute drive.

Been to Oak Oven? Share your experiences!