“Upscale Sounthern food done fresh”
Review of Cotton

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: DeSiard Street
Transit: The public trolley system makes frequent stops right near the restaurant. There is also a public transit bus station within walking distance.
Description: Located in the heart of downtown Monroe in one of the oldest buildings in the city, Restaurant Cotton has the atmosphere of a simpler, more honest time. Executive chef, Cory Bahr, prides himself in being an innovator of unique and delicious food that exhibits his Louisiana Delta roots and allows his personality to influence every dish. Accompanied by chef de cuisine, Spencer Serrette, and sous chef, Seth Blankenship, Chef Bahr has mastered the art of creative southern cuisine. With nightly food and drink specials, it is guaranteed that there will be something new to try with every trip to Restaurant Cotton. Chef Bahr shows his appreciation and passion for authentic Louisiana cuisine by always using the freshest and most local ingredients in every dish that he prepares. Restaurant Cotton is proud to be a part of the revitalization of downtown Monroe and we invite you to join us as we support our beautiful city and the seasoned talent of our very own Chef Cory Bahr.
Reviewed 10 September 2017

Southern food done upscale. Classic regional ingredients (chicken, peas, greens, seafood, fresh produce, shrimp and grits, etc.) and dishes, but with fresh flavor and presentation. Have eaten in for lunch and ordered out for dinner. Food definitely better served hot and fresh -- not so good for take out. Nice ambiance -- sort of "restored warehouse" look. Downtown historic location is cool tho not much parking. Can be pricey so keep eye on costs to get most bang for buck.

Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

This place was a store, a warehouse, and a cathouse among other things. The restaurant is beautiful inside with original wood and brick facing, as well as wooden floors that have seen some time to be sure.

There was a full bar and plenty of seating throughout the restaurant. When we were there they had a buffet with some excellent looking beef, but being hard heads we went with the menu and were not disappointed. The wife went with a salad that featured greens, candied pecans, and an egg on top. She thought the egg was brilliant but wasn't a fan of the pecans. I went with the pork and the chicken. The chicken was smoked and looked burnt - it was not. It was juicy and had a lovely smoked flavor through and through. The pulled pork was also very nice. The dessert was excellent - a very rich brownie with marshmallow on top that had been heated with a torch until the top was almost a toffee. Very good.

The bar featured a number of mixed drinks and local beers. On Sunday afternoon it seemed the bartender was a bit bored to be sure, but he knows his business without a doubt. We ordered a couple of local brews at 8$ a pop, but they went down nicely on a hot day.

Very nice place - would definitely go back.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

My wife and I have had dinner here several times. The first time was not good (slow service, food good but not great). The second time was phenomenal: great good, great waiter, good specials, lively vibe. In short, this is a really good restaurant setting where, when they are on, the food, service, and experience can be really good as well. If you catch them on an off night, the experience will be the opposite.

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

My husband & I ate here for date night. It was our first time eating here. The staff were very nice & the restaurant had a great atmosphere. We ordered the duck wraps for an appetizer. They were amazing. I wasn't sure about the honey glaze but it was very tasty. I got the special for the evening, Louisiana chicken with pimento mac & cheese and collard greens. I loved the chicken. It was pounded flat & had a perfect crunch & spice to it. I'm not a big collar green fan but they were a good accompaniment for the mac & cheese. My husband got the Louisiana seafood platter. It had fried fish, oysters, shrimp & duck fat fries. He enjoyed it. I tasted the fish & it was good and seasoned well. We both agreed though that the fries were not what we expected. They just tasted like fries. Even the tea was great. It was pretty pricey at $75 for what we got. Also, this was dinner. We will be going back, but will just have to be for special occasions.

Reviewed 16 July 2017 via mobile

My family and I went to this restaurant while vacationing in Louisiana together. The servers and other members of the staff were great. Very polite and friendly. There were two issues that I had with the restaurant.

1) I feel that the choice of artwork for the restaurant was culturally insensitive and that many customers may find it offensive. The walls were covered in pictures of African American slaves picking cotton. I feel that just plain black and white pictures of cotton (just cotton, no slaves) could have have the same affect to go with the name without advertising such a dark and inhumane period of our history.
2) the food was mediocre at best. There was a limited selection of things. We had to change our order multiple times because they were out of several items. When we finally got our food, my French toast was burnt to a crisp and had to be re-made and the other options were lacking in flavor and overall disappointing.

I reiterate again that our waitress and the service was great but with bad food and offensive decor I doubt I will be coming again.

1  Thank Tasha457

Been to Cotton? Share your experiences!