See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I made a reservation at this hotel last year for my family to stay in while we went to see the beautiful lights on the Cane River at Christmastime. We checked in and were told that our room was actually in a room across the highway from the main building (shown in the pictures). I was leery and then we got the key and went to our room. There was NO WAY I was staying in that room! It was disgusting and the clientele sitting in the parking lot was way too frightening. We went straight back to the office and got our money back and drove towards I-49 to one of the chain hotels there. It should be an hourly-rate hotel, if you know what I mean.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank stasassy
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here on our drive from Dallas to New Orleans. The room was extremely dirty, stains on .. everything, fork in the sink drain and a nasty stain on the sheet. Did not see any bug but I am sure they were there, this was quite disgusting. We should have left and stayed somewhere else, but we had already paid (bad decision before looking at the room) and it was late. Honestly I was scared to be there. At 4 am we woke up to someone kicking and banging on the door and screaming something, I could not make out what he was saying, there was no other way out, we were terrified and my girlfriend crying/screaming from fear, we did not dare to open the door, he kept on kicking, trying to get in, I have seriously NEVER been so scared. Suddenly it was quiet and we ran to our car and drove away, went to a safe local hotel. I called the woman in the check in while the man was kicking the door, she called the police but we where gone when the police came, hopefully they found the attacker.
The night here was $72 which is insane for what you get. We asked for a refund but that was not an option because we had been in the room from 9pm to 4am, the police having to come did not matter.
I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy. Suitable for drug dealers.

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Regina R
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We spent several days at the River View Inn during Hurricane Gustav. Even though the rooms are dated, they are quite LARGE (much bigger than is typical with more modern hotels). This was exactly what we needed because we evacuated with 5 cats (and had to set up all their individual, collapsible cages in the room). The rooms were so reasonable that we decided to rent two - one for the cats & one for the people. There was a refundable pet deposit involved, but we “passed inspection” and got our deposit back. (Hint: We had brought along a small Shark vacuum cleaner & kept up with the cats.) The small frig & microwave in each room were nice to have, as was the free breakfast and wireless Internet. Because of this experience, we again booked two rooms when Hurricane Isaac threatened recently. We decided, at the last minute, to cancel the rooms & “ride out the storm” at home. The hotel manager was very understanding and did not charge us the first night's rent (which she could have done). No, it’s not the Hilton or a cutsie B&B, but we found the rooms to be clean and the River View management to be very friendly and accommodating. We’re definitely keeping them on our list!

Room Tip: I believe the rooms along the front (near the reception area) are in better condition.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I attempted to stay stay here with a girlfriend on our Southern vacation. We were immediately stared at by the seedy construction workers who were staying at the apartments across the street. The room was musty, dirty, had bugs & the bed linens & pillows stunk & had yellow stains on them. There were no lights on the balcony which was accessed by stairs in the back. Our sliding glass doors lock was broken & wouldn't lock.It would of been very easy for someone to come up the stairs in the night & come in through the sliding glass doors.The decor was from the 1970's & had a tv with rabbit ears. I sat in a chair up against the front door because I was scared. The front door had been kicked in before because the door jam was cracked & the lock was flimsy & loose. We were in that room for one hour before we felt it was impossible to stay here. This motel was the absolute worst motel I have ever been to in my entire life. Fearing for our safety & the conditions of the room we demanded a refund & the owners complied with no hassles.This would be a good place for prostitutes & drug addicts to stay, Certainly not for 2 women traveling alone or families.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends