“Fabulous Room View but a wee bit noisy”
Review of Ravenous Beastie

Ravenous Beastie
Reviewed 13 October 2017

We recently stayed at the Ravenous Beastie with our young adult daughter, in the "triple" room that is located on the top floor, facing the Firth. I realized later that there had been confusion regarding the number of people in the room due to my booking through a 3rd party, but when we arrived, we were graciously greeted, and I would never even have known there had been an issue, as the room was all set up for us, and no questions were asked. My daughter did find the "extra" bed uncomfortable, with a bar down the middle, but my husband was perfectly happy to switch with her, and he had no problem sleeping in that spot.
The room was on the front of the house, offering a breathtakingly beautiful view of the Forth Rail Bridge. The only issue was that the room was a bit warm for us, and we had popped open the window for some cool air, and the street was rather noisy at night. Surprisingly, there were a LOT of people out and about. We remedied that problem by closing the front window, and opening the side, which faces another building, and limits the amount of noise coming into the room.
The bathroom was spacious, with a corner stand in shower that offered plenty of hot water. The only issue was that one had to turn it on outside the bathroom prior to using it. ( Not to heat the water, but to actually get it to work.) Not a big deal, just quirky.
There was a large vanity with a hair dryer in our room, as well as a hospitality tray that included tea and coffee, but no biscuits or snacks of any kind. There was a small refrigerator and microwave in the armoire, which is a brilliant idea, as there is a grocery store within easy walking distance if one chose to pick something quick up to warm in the microwave, or keep cool in the fridge.
The wi-fi was a bit spotty at the time, but the proprietor had noticed the issue and had it remedied by the time we returned after our first day's outing.
The towels were very large and fluffy, and were changed out during our stay to fresh after the second night. The one thing lacking in that regards was washcloths. We Americans certainly do appreciate inclusion of washcloths, and I am finding that more establishments are offering them, but this one did not.
Breakfast was in the cafe with several options. I chose the Croissant with ham and cheeses, and the plate was quite substantial for my needs. My husband had a cooked breakfast and was happy with his choice.
We had to leave early on our last day, and the proprietor was kind enough to get up early and set out some food for us to have prior to leaving.
Parking can be a bit of a challenge, as it is street parking only, and one must hunt down a spot on the street, but it is free after 6:30 pm until 9:00 am. The train terminal is very close and offers free parking so we drove there and parked in the lot while we ventured into Edinburgh for the day.
There are several restaurants within easy walking distance of the B&B, most offering a lovely view of the bridge.
All in all, the stay was comfortable, with the only issue being the "night life" noise (and motorcycles zooming down the street), and that was only with the window popped open.
And let me note, despite being in the heart of a busy village, at no time did I feel unsafe. Once checked in, the side entrance, located in a well lit close, is used for entering and leaving the building, and it uses a separate key from the room key.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Cookie065, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Thank you. Very much for taking the time to complete a review for Rooms at Ravenous Beastie, your comments are gratefully appreciated. Thank you including information regarding our village

L lira Cunningham
Propietor

Reviewed 22 September 2017

Had the opportunity to stay at the Ravenous Beastie for 7 nights and was quite comfortable, felt looked after and therefore quite happy with my choice. Am glad that I discovered it, as sometimes locating and securing appropriate accommodations when on a budget can be challenging.

Moira was quite approachable, helpful and informative whether via email prior to my arrival, or while I was there and had questions. We had some great chitchats. My early morning arrival was no problem; she and a staff person (C.) kindly helped me up the stairs with my luggage; showed me to my room, left me with the room key and I was able to do as I pleased after that. Being that the room had not yet been serviced for the day (as I said, I was really early) I didn't want to be in the way or cause a delay, and as I was eager to get exploring I was out immediately.

My room was comfortable, had everything I needed, and I had a nice view over the rooftops and out to the famous railway bridge and that included many a rainbow. I loved that there was also a little tea/coffee service and a kettle so that I could have a hot drink if I wanted to outside of tearoom hours. Room was cleaned on a daily basis, and I even noted one morning that it was no trouble if a guest wasn't leaving until later in the morning, their room would still be serviced but a little later on. I think my only suggestion would be to put brighter lightbulbs in the ceiling light, however there were lamps and I only really ever used the one, and that was bright enough for me!

The tearoom was well run, breakfasts were delicious and filling so that I never needed to purchase anything for lunch. Moira did most of the food preparation and serving but on the weekend she had 3 staff in to assist while she took a break. I found that Callum (sorry, not sure of correct spelling) was as good a cook as Moira and, like Moira, made sure to ask if you wanted anything else (or anything more). I was quite grateful for the breakfast item I requested for my last morning, as I had a very early departure back to the airport and they left that for me at my door the night before.

What a nice homey B&B - I'll definitely want to stay there again, next chance I get to go to that area.

Thanks again, Moira and staff!

Room Tip: Book early - only a few rooms here and books quite quickly!
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Cookie065, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review for Rooms at Ravenous Beastie, your comments are gratefully appreciated, and Calum is really chuffed you mentioned him by name. I happily pass over his thanks to you. We were all really happy to hear you enjoyed your stay here at Rooms at Ravenous a Beastie, and hope you had a pleasant flight home.

From All at Ravenous at Ravenous Beastie

Reviewed 6 September 2017

We ended up in a very cozy village outside of Edinburgh on our way home from Scotland. A nice lady took care of us and as we were going early in the morning after, she prepared breakfast bags for us in the evening. Bed was big and comfortable, room both modern and cozy at the same time. We really enjoyed our stay here!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2017

We stayed here for a couple of nights recently whilst attending Edinburgh fringe festival...felt ripped off.....appreciate all hotels etc raise prices at this time as Edinburgh is very busy....however, I still feel service should reflect what you pay for and this hotel most definitely left us feeling cheated...
Breakfast had adequate choice but my husband requires gluten free, this was available on day 1 but not day 2!! Never any marmalade or jam with toast for breakfast and day 2 saw no toast at all....no replenishing of tea/coffee either, poor standard for price....owner or manager, not sure which, occupied a table by the door to the restaurant which was the only access overnight guests had to the breakfast area...left her footwear by the table, wore a dirty top, did not present well at all.....our towels which we left in the shower for replacing as per usual practice in hotels were just ignored and left there so we had to use damp dirty towels. no one around late evenings for hotel guests.... it was incredibly hot in the rooms and as no air conditioner had to open windows onto the main road which was very noisy.... all in all I would NOT recommend this hotel

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mopsies
Moira C, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2017

Dear Mopsies
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review for Rooms at Ravenous Beastie, all comments are gratefully appreciated.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, and that you did not feel comfortable enough to voice your thought during your stay Thank you for allow me the opportunity to respond.
Rooms at Ravenous Beastie, is actually a bed and breakfast, situated in a 200 year old , B listed property ( 4 lettng bedrooms) in the heart of South Queensferry's conservation area. Some website change the listing themselves. Having only 4 letting bedrooms, we have only ever claimed to be a bed and breakfast, never a hotel. We do not really have a lot of control when an accommodation provider takes your information and changes the details, only finding out when someone bring it to our attention.
We do not have air conditioning and we also do not advertise we have it. It has never been necessary in our part of the country. If only Scotland did require air conditioning. A lot of people would be happy.
I have just spoken to Bailey who served you during your stay with us. Gluten free toast , both, homemade strawberry jam & marmalade was served both days to your table and xtra was offered and refused. Both morning verdict when asked if you had enjoyed breakfast . Thank you it was lovely. Bailey is the member of staff who popped out to pick up another GF loaf, on the second morning
I apology's you found my appearance offensive. Having been cooking breakfast since 7am and sitting down at 10.45am for my first cup of tea. Yes, working in a kitchen is difficult but I love it. Having badly damaged my knee, and permanently on high 3 painkillers ever four hours. Yes , I am normally more than happy to slip my feet out of my shoes for a brief 10 minute break before returning to the kitchen till 5pm. Clean white every shift. However, my apology's you found this offensive.
I take ownership of the fact your towels were not changed. The housekeeping girls came down into the kitchen to ask my advise as they were not entirely sure how to deal with your bedroom. All but 1 of the beds had been push out of place, the double bed had been pushed hard against the wardrobe leaving no choice but for you to have your luggage, around the bedroom, some on the floor some on top of the other beds. That is fine, not a problem. The sofa bed had been stripped right back to the bare mattress with all the bed linen including mattress protector folded and neatly piled at the other side of the bedroom. I personally, instructed our 2 girls to service the bedroom to the best of their ability trying to work around your personal luggage when possible and to leave the furniture the way you had placed it, as I surmised you had your reasons for doing this. I did not mind, we just put it back in place once you have gone. Normally our towels are changed every 3 days, and it has never been a problem . Th girls did have difficultly servicing you room. This I cannot deny. My apologies
Both of you were happy when settled you account before leaving, and made no negative comments. All of your points could, and would have been address personally had you voiced any / all of them during your stay. I am sorry you did not feel comfortable enough to do so
Yours sincerely

Moira Cunningham
Proprietor

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Popped in for a scone and tea very nice with good staff and reasonably priced. Others were eating breakfasts which also looked good. Would definitely come here again. Nice central location in the village.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Cookie065, Owner at Ravenous Beastie, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2017

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete a review for Ravnous Beastie, tea room. I am particularly happy you enjoyed one of Caitlin's homemade scones. Thank you very much

Moira Cunningham
Proprietor

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Queensferry
Dakota Edinburgh
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
DoubleTree by Hilton Edinburgh -...
#1 of 1 in North Queensferry
The Staghead Hotel
#4 of 4 in South Queensferry
Innkeeper's Lodge Edinburgh, Sou...
#2 of 4 in South Queensferry
Parkhead House
#1 of 4 in South Queensferry
West End
West End Hotel
West End Hotel
#109 of 395 in Edinburgh

Been to Ravenous Beastie? Share your experiences!