“Fun experience but there is room for improvement”

North Country Rivers
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Bingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Discover the Maine Outdoors with North Country Rivers. Maine Outdoor Adventure Vacations that include - White Water Rafting, Kayaking, Wildlife Tours, ATV Tours and Rentals, Snowmobile Tours and Rentals, Hiking, Biking, Fishing and more. Packages at our Bingham, Maine resort include deluxe cabins, tent camping, RV Camping and meals at our renown Patrick's Restaurant and Pub. Call today, let's start planning your Maine Outdoor Vacation.
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I Organized a group of fifty people ranging from 8 to 50 years old. We had a great time but the food was very little, they could have a little more food.

There is a 45 minute bus ride that is unpleasant, it takes you from where you leave your car to the river.

Our guide was not fun, other rafts had great guides...guess we were not lucky.

We did not sleep in their cabins we just did rafting. The first part of the river is pretty cool, than it gets kind of boring.

1  Thank HUH42
"full kitchen"
"great trip"
"great guide"

Reviewed 27 July 2012

We went to North Country River in July, 2009. I made reservations based on information on the website and a brochure that was mailed to me. We reserved a cabin for a couple of days and an $80 per person ALL-DAY river rafting trip with a river-side stopover lunch.

The whitewater had a rating of 4 and we were excited about the anticipated trip. We had done whitewater rafting on the Arkansas River in Colorado in 2007 and totally loved that so we imagined that this trip - all day and #4 rapids would be even better.

The life jacket they gave me didn't fit properly and I asked the guide to adjust it (I have a large bust and the jacket could have been fixed to fit, or I could have been given a larger size). It was rubbing against my chin most of the time and it smelled weird like it hadn't been disinfected or something. Yuk!

The bus trip seemed to take longer than the actual time spent on the river!!! The bus arrived at a dam and we had to lug our rafts down a metal stairway and then a steep, rocky embankment to get to the river. We did not stop for lunch. We did not have much whitewater at all. And it certainly was not an ALL-DAY excursion - more like a couple of hours (including the bus trip there and back).

We were bused back to the lodge and served a lunch. It tasted fine but I ended up with terrible food poisoning and was sick all night. It might have been the gross life jacket that made me sick, and not the lunch . . . who knows?

The only good part of the North Country experience was the very nice, clean cabin we had.
Unless they've drastically improved things in the last three years, I would not waste my money.

6  Thank Clare D
Reviewed 4 July 2012

It was our first time White water rafting down the kennebec river with them and it was the experience of our lifetime! Our guide Andrew was funny but at the same time made sure that we were safe. For first timers who have never rafted before, don't worry. You are not going to be paddling for 4 hours continuosly. Andrew only made us paddled a few strokes & stopped. A few more strokes and stopped. He was very clever in controlling the raft so that we didn't have to paddle too much. (Ask for Andrew if you can). The best thing about this company is they charge the most reasonable rate. Tip...make sure you go to the bathroom before you board the bus!

2  Thank hoteldivaDallas
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We recently stayed at one of their cabins in Bingham and it was awesome! We were a group of 6 guys on a bachelor party and desperately needed a place to stay for the night after some problems with our previous campground! Nate (one of the rafting guides and managers at NCR) said he'd take care of us and had our reservation switched to this campground in Bingham and even upgraded us to a deluxe cabin at no cost to us! He even let us follow him to the base! As soon as we arrived we were given directions to the cabin and were told that everything was taken care of! When we got to our cabin we were thrilled! It was more like a house! They provided all the kitchen utensils and had all the usual appliances that a house would have! We really had an awesome stay and are definitely talking about going back again! YOLO

1  Thank Kyle P
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Made a reservation in May for a rafting trip on the Kennebec River for June 23, 2012. We paid for the Kennebec Ultimate trip. For an additional cost, you raft the upper portion of the river twice. We were looking forward to this experience.

On the day before the rafting trip, while driving up to Bingham, ME from Boston, I received a call from North Country Rivers that the Ultimate trip was cancelled due to "lack of participants". I was told that they needed twelve reservations to do the trip. The company was taking over 170 customers on the Kennebec that day and I know from conversations with others, that they were also cancelled out! This is not right. Nowhere was there a disclaimer about the possibility of the Ultimate trip being cancelled. It was a big disappointment. Moreover, there was barely any kind of apology from North Country Rivers. They need to pay better attention to giving customers what they paid for and expect.

2  Thank globetraveler30