“Great Spot for Authentic Italian”
Review of Ports of Italy

Ports of Italy
Price range: US$9 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Come and explore the cuisine of the Ports of Italy from our cozy restaurant on the waterfront in Boothbay Harbor.
Reviewed 27 December 2017

They accommodated a party of 12 for us. Food was delicious, kids all found something to eat which can be tricky at times with them. Adults all raved about their meals. Great location in downtown Boothbay!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,120)

Reviewed 21 December 2017 via mobile

I have lived in Italy for several months over a period of four years. Each trip was a food lovers experience. I only had to travel a few minutes to Boothbay Harbor to relive my Italian experiences. The four of us had four different dishes, some pasta oriented and some not, plus appetizers, salads, and deserts. Each dish was magnificent and there is not enough room or time to expand on the one word description. This is a fine example of a first class Italian restaurant.

Reviewed 21 December 2017

I've been to Ports of Italy several times. And each time I go, I keep hoping I'll be pleasantly surprised. But that never happens. Here's the scoop.

I have many friends who rave about POI. They absolutely love it. Thus the reason I continue to check it out now and again. But each time I go, I'm blown away by the expensive prices for mediocre food. I do not, for the life of me understand why people love this place. I've had much better food, drinks and ambience elsewhere in the area.

One last word about Ports of Italy. It's pretentious. Supposed to be a high end, dining experience. But as far as I'm concerned, it just doesn't deliver. Sorry.

With all of the above being said, the food's fine. It's okay. Maybe even good in some cases. But for the most part, it's nothing special. Just average and not worthy of the high end prices or raves.

Other local places I like a whole lot better?

The Thistle on Oak St. in downtown Boothbay Harbor immediately comes to mind. Great prices, EXCELLENT food, wonderful, friendly ambience. I've never had a bad meal there.

The Damariscotta River Grill is another fab spot. I've been going there weekly for years and am NEVER disappointed with the food, service and/or atmosphere.

Little Village Bistro in Wiscasset is another place that delivers what it promises.

Last, The Oceanside (formerly the Rocktide) on Atlantic Ave in BBH. Yes, it's very expensive but worth every nickel. The food is EXCELLENT and so is the ambience (overlooks the harbor) and service.

What do all of the places I've named and like have in common?

Consistently wonderful food, ambience and service at decent prices. The exception is the Oceanside, which IS very expensive, but as I mentioned, worth the prices charged.

At the River Grill and The Thistle, if you dine at Happy Hour, which is usually between 4 and 6, prices for drinks and appetizers are discounted. So if you're on a budget, that's the time to go.

Bottom line. Ports of Italy is okay. Nothing bad but nothing special either. My beef is with the prices charged for mediocre food. But maybe I'm too picky.

4  Thank LinekinLass
sante c, Owner at Ports of Italy, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2017

Thank GOD that you have lots of wonderful Friends that love us and do not listen to you!!!!!
Marry Christmas and a fantastic New Year!!!
Ciao Sante

Reviewed 18 December 2017 via mobile

While food was excellent, service was subpar. Wait staff cold and inattentive. So much so that we were not comfortable.

1  Thank Beth N
Reviewed 7 December 2017

It is not for the budget minded, but the food was excellent. Most of us had the special, sole, and it was great.