“Excellent Service, Food... Almost There”
Review of MK Kitchen

MK Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
MK Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Gorham
Reviewed 14 September 2016

My husband and I went on a Saturday evening for our weekly date night. We had been talking about going to MK Kitchen for a year or so, but with a toddler, it becomes habit to stay in. So, we were very excited to finally try the exciting menu.
He got a manhattan, and I got a glass of prosecco. He was pleased that the manhattan was boozy, and I noted that the prosecco by the glass is probably one of the sweeter that I've had.
To start, we had a side of the brussel sprouts, the gnocchi mac and cheese, and the duck liver creme caramel. The brussel sprouts were fried and deliciously crispy, but we both agreed that it could have used a vinaigrette. They were actually great with the cheese sauce from the gnocchi mac and cheese, which was fantastic. The gnocchi were soft and fluffy, and we regretted only getting the smaller portion. The pork belly in the mac and cheese was unfortunately incredibly tough, though. The duck liver creme caramel was good, but definitely rich and better for sharing. My husband isn't fond of liver, so tasked with the whole dish myself, I had to pack some for home.
For our main courses, I got the mushroom risotto and he got the Gaucho mixed grill. The mushroom risotto was loaded with local mushrooms, which was exciting at first, but after a while I found myself wishing that there was more risotto. The risotto itself was definitely overdone, but the flavors were excellent and without fault. My husbands Gaucho mixed grill was good, and the value was amazing, with there being four different varieties of meats. He was a bit disappointed by the "crispy" potatoes,which were delicious, but not crispy as marketed. More of a roasted fingerling. I found the duck confit to be overwhelming in salt content, which was surprising to me, since I usually love, love, love salt.
We finished with the house made sorbet, which came in blueberry, peach and raspberry, and came with a large chocolate chip cookie. Perfect portion size and a fantastic finish to the dinner. The peach sorbet was our favorite, without a doubt.
The absolute best part of the dinner was incredible service. We neither felt rushed, nor neglected. We love fine dining in Portland, and I can say that the service we had at MK Kitchen was equal to the best I've had at some of the top restaurants. I absolutely could not have been more impressed.

1  Thank cboynton93

Reviewed 13 September 2016 via mobile

MK Kitchen provides a fine dining experience without attitude. I have been twice and can't praise it enough. The atmosphere is wonderful and the food...the food! It's so delicious. The plates are on the smaller side but definitely enough to fill you up. But you will want more because it is so yummy. I love that the menu changes often and they are proud providers of the farm to table concept. I spoke to a server who told me that no one had left their employment since starting because they treat their employees with respect and value everyone. Overall, the owners are doing all the right things for a successful and beautiful place to dine. Highly recommend. Go if you haven't!!

Reviewed 12 September 2016

Wow, this was an excellent find after salivating over pictures in Maine's DownEast magazine. My party of four were celebrating hubby's birthday and as first impressions usually do impress, it was really a nice gesture for the restaurant to place hubby's personalized birthday card on our table (we called ahead for reservations). Lisa Kaldrovich, MK's charming manager and maitre d', welcomed us warmly to our nicely appointed seats with ambience reminiscent of one intimate favorite neighborhood European bistro-tratorria. Jessica, our food server, was very knowledgeable about the food and wine and was patient with our questions. Though the wine list appeared to me to be on the non-extensive side, we chose a handsomely tasting full-bodied Argentinian Malbec. Our party started with orders of the visually impressive and savory-tasting lobster cones filled with delectable chilled lobster meat dressed with lemony mayo and topped with "tobiko" caviar on each of three delicate tuille-like ice cream cones; we also did the pan-roasted mussels, and also hubby's sauteed duck liver creme caramel app which was a proverbial dieing and going to heaven fantasy. Unable to resist the tasty duck liver temptation, I spooned a little of it on my palate. The heavenly appetizer was presented with the creme caramel and was served with hauntingly delectable candied apricots which blew my tastebuds away; it was comparable to what heavenly likeness one gets out of what the French do with foie gras. I can only imagine if MK used goose instead of duck! And then comes the "piece de resistance", a term I usually ascribe to meal-ending desserts, but this time I will ascribe to my main course. I ordered the Gaucho Grille, the unbelievably tasty collection of three or four different meats (beef, pork and surprisingly a duck drumstick) served with veggies and chimichurri and sweet chili sauces on the side. Our other main course orders were herbed grilled salmon, another exceptional selection, and a creamy cheesy mac and cheese ricotta gnocchi with flavorful braised pork belly bits. Unfortunately, this wonderful indulgence left our tummies with nary a room for dessert. After surveying the dessert menu, I was just a little disappointed that the chef, Mitchell Kaldrovich, who was raised in Argentina, did not have anything with "dulce de leche" and that the kitchen did not have serve espressos or cappucinos.

Overall this was indeed an awesome dining experience, not only for the food and service, but for the pocketbook value, that is not located in Portland or Kennebunkport, and so worthy of being written, reviewed and lauded about. MK Kitchen is truly worth the drive for fabulous gourmet-bistro-tratto dining no matter what part of New England you're driving from - and in our case, from Los Angeles, CA!

Reviewed 26 August 2016

Husband and wife team have all their ducks in a row. Excellent food and service in a very relaxed atmosphere, with great selections, low prices, on the street parking, and full bar to fix your temptation.

Reviewed 23 August 2016

An upscale restaurant with prices to match. Try the more convivial bar area for a more eclectic mix of cuisine and choices.

Been to MK Kitchen? Share your experiences!