All reviews goose rocks beach hot tub scones continental breakfast short drive from downtown tether ball rent bikes room was clean outdoor pool extended weekend peaceful stay small patio nice amenities live entertainment parking pass easy access kennebunkport area
Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

I hate writing this review because the people at Ocean Woods are very nice. Murph at the bar is a standout. However, if you have plans of staying in the 4 bedroom condo you should be aware of our issues. And, having worked in the hospitality industry, my entire group believes the management at Ocean Woods had SEVERAL other options to alleviate the issue, none of which were exercised.

While the accommodations are modest, they fit the bill for us as a family trying to explore the area, until our second night when two mice scurried through the hallway toward the TV. Yeah. Mice.

So I emailed (it was late and our two kids were sleeping) the management. We saw the mice three more times that night, enough that we were able to get video of one (I can produce this video). None of the adults slept, of course, and instead kept watch for the critters to make sure they didn't get into our kids rooms. This was a special kind of torture.

The following morning I received an email from management admonishing me for not calling the night before (did I mention my kids were asleep?) and telling me that given the country setting, sometimes these things should be expected. They understood my need to leave (Yeah, because finding accommodations for 8 people in Maine in July is SOOO easy) but offered to discreetly take care of the problem.

So, we went to dinner and they came in presumably to "clean up the issue". We found no other accommodations to house us and we were trapped. We've stayed in other "country setting" hotels and cottages in the past and NEVER encountered mice.

We didn't see anymore mice at Ocean Woods but we did see droppings. Relaxing knowing they are there, but can't see them, right?

Here is where it's interesting. We were never issued an apology. The email stated "I understand your disappointment" but no apology. Here is where it could have gone differently and should have.

1. APOLOGIZE and offer a refund/discount/bottle of booze or SOMETHING to alleviate the issue.
2. APOLOGIZE and offer to buy us dinner while they handled the issue.
3. APOLOGIZE and offer us alternate accommodations.

I don't write bad reviews as a general rule (check my ratings). I try to work things out with management. Management was not interested in working anything out. "Country setting" or not, mice carry diseases and we have kids. No one paying for accommodations should have to worry about one jumping out at them in the middle of the night.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank JillKeene
Reviewed 6 July 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights, used a Groupon. It was exactly as advertised, it was a charming older resort, dated decor but very friendly owners and nice amenities for the price. Very clean. Great location, can walk to Goose Rocks Beach but we chose to pay the $15 for the pass so our car was right there. Our room had 2 queens and a pullout sofa which was great so our 2 full grown teens didn't have to share a bed. Only used the pool briefly, the jacuzzi was not very hot, could use updating in that area. Nice patios and outside areas. Quiet street. Short drive to main areas of Kennebunkport. Can rent bikes and kayaks and have wagons for beach. Wonderful fresh scones every morning and nice continental breakfast. Beach was beautiful, saw 2 weddings while there!

Room Tip: Ask for largest room available.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2017

Stayed three nights and enjoyed the experience. Kathleen was gracious and helpful acquainting us to the area. The accomodations are clean, quiet, homey and comfortable. We enjoyed the onsite restaurant for dinner but our favorite was definitely the homemade blueberry scones at breakfast. Ocean woods is a bit off the beaten path adding to its charm.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2017

We had an outstanding stay at this Resort. The facility is clean and the staff is very nice. If you travel in a sports car and you're concerned about parking, this resort has a huge parking area where your car will be safe. I would absolutely recommend this Resort and we will be back.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights while doing a driving tour of the lighthouses of Maine. Comfy bed but zero counter space in the bathroom. Lovely 5 minute stroll down to the beach but watch out for cars as there are no pathways or sidewalks.

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple