“Delicious, authentic sichuan!”
Review of Sichuan Kitchen

Sichuan Kitchen
Ranked #132 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Description: Restaurant serving authentic Chinese Sichuan Cuisine.
Description: Restaurant serving authentic Chinese Sichuan Cuisine.
Reviewed 26 October 2017

My wife and I checked this place out this past weekend. It's tucked into a cozy storefront in the middle of downtown Portland, across from the State Theater. The owner comes from the Sichuan Province of China and the menu reflects her origins so the food is definitely NOT your average Americanized fast food Chinese restaurant fare. The atmosphere in the restaurant is nice but it would be nice to see more color and perhaps artifacts or photos from the Sichuan region to make it more interesting.

I started with the Zhong Dumplings which were by far the best dumplings I've ever had! They were fresh made pork dumplings served in really tasty sauce that has just the right amount of spice and perfectly balanced the flavor and heat. I mistakenly told my wife how good they were and after fighting over the last one, we ended up ordering another bowl of them!
For the entree, I had the Braised Beef Noodles. The meat was tender and flavorful and served over a generous bowl of noodles, broth and fresh herbs. I will definitely have this comforting dish again.
The refreshing Bissel Brothers Substance (on tap!) was the icing on the cake!
My wife had the Ants Climbing A Tree and the Cloud Ear Mushroom Salad and enjoyed both thoroughly.

The staff was very friendly and the owner even stopped by our table to see how we enjoyed our food, even though it was a busy night for the restaurant.

Portions were generous enough that we had some to take home to share with the kids. We'll definitely be heading back to Sichuan Kitchen many times!

Reviewed 17 October 2017

So happy that Portland now has authentic Sichuan food! Dumplings are a must eat. Best I've ever tasted. I have visited the Sichuan province twice, and this is the real
meal. All of the dishes have a unique taste. Braised beef noodles had a wonderful
flavor, and lots of tasty veggie dishes (cloud ear mushroom and the cabbage were
great). This is nothing like the typical Chinese restaurants we have in Maine , so folks
looking for crab rangoon or general tso's chicken should go elsewhere. Sichuan chili oil is main ingredient for a few of the dishes, and in Sichuan, the more the better.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

I am definitely addicted to this restaurant. More specifically, I am addicted to the eggplant dish. It’s incredible. Actually, there are so many dishes I like that it’s become a regular on my dinner rotation list.
PS. The service is excellent!

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Excellent Chinese food just spicy enough. We have tried a number of different dishes and have not been disappointed yet

Reviewed 10 August 2017

We were visiting from NYC and love finding authentic Chinese food when we're traveling. I was surprised that Portland would have a place like this but was very happy we found it after getting tired of seafood every day.

The chef is from China and knows how to prepare Sichuan food, and I highly recommend it if you're in the area.