“Small town market with great selection of foods”
Review of Pat's Meat Market

Pat's Meat Market
Ranked #127 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$4 - US$15
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2018

Twice during our recent trip to Portland, Maine, we purchased food from Pat's Meat Market. Their pork chops and ground beef were excellent. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 21 June 2017 via mobile

Pat's Hot Italian Sausage is our taste test champion!

With a summer get together pending, we purchased hot Italian sausage from Pat's and several other shops from Sanford to Portland for a taste test. All were slow roasted in an oven with sweet onions and a few grape tomatoes (which makes a darn fine jam on top of a sausage sandwich).

Our taste test samples included various buns and mustards, but the sausage was the star of the show, and the main reason for the taste test.

Pat's hot Italian sausage was noticeably better than the other 6 products we sampled. First, it was just a bit spicier, so the flavor was noticeably better, and it stood up to the bread and condiments for a perfect combination. Secondly, the texture of the sausage after slow roasting was far better than the competition. For flavor and feel, Pat's Italian sausage was the unanimous favorite.

Here's the makings of the favorite sausage sandwich:

-- Ciabatta bread (ciabatta lunga from On the Vine Marketplace, sliced to separate top and bottom, then cut to the length of the sausage).

-- Generous slather of Stonewall Kitchen's Pub Mustard (go find this ... it's the bomb!)

-- Thin slice of provolone cheese

-- Top of the bread spread with sweet onion and grape tomato jam (scoop this gold from the bottom of the roasting pan after removing the sausages).

Now we're ready to serve our guests the finest. Thanks Pat's!

1  Thank PaulOfMaine
Reviewed 19 February 2017

Went to the Treehouse for a family dinner and was really impressed. Up a narrow staircase to a low key and low light dining area with a treehouse vibe. Friendly staff throughout our meal and the food was very tasty and no one left hungry. Prices are fair for the quality of the food and it was an overall very pleasant meal. Owner is in the kitchen, which usually means consistent quality. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

They took great care of us. I had the ocean primavera and it was perfect. We brought our own cake and they provided all the required plates. Great ambience. Thanks.

Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

We used to go here when it first opened by the original owner years ago and it was great then for a quiet romantic couples dinner. Then it was under different management for a bit and still good but lost some of its ambience. Now it's open again under the original owner. The decor is once again whimsical and romantic but man, the NOISE kills any attempt to even hear your date. From the waitress shouting to the couple beside us for what seemed like an eternity about her history as a server (yes, she was shouting because comparably I could barely hear the couple responding to her even though they were right beside me), to the loud lady two tables over whose voice dominated the room, to the man at yet another table with a similar volume issue, it was just not as great and relaxing as I had hoped. Perhaps it was the side of the restaurant we were on because I don't remember it being so crazy loud. We didn't even bother with the dessert menu and asked for the check as soon as we were done with our main course. I think it was the shouting waitress that did it for me at that point. It was over the top.

So, the food:
Big portions - a little too much, actually
Mozzarella & tomato salad - good, nice crostini too
Mixed greens salad - hard to eat. Lettuce leaves way too big and difficult to cut. Couldn't get the really hard croutons with my fork. It was more work than it needed to be so I gave up after half.
Scallops - great presentation with sausage
Mushroom saute - Meh. The cheese could have been eliminated. Heavier than expected and funky tasting in spots. Wouldn't order again.
Bluet mixed drink - very nice and light

I didn't get the welcoming sense from the staff that there used to be. It felt impersonal. Our server was okay. The hostess seemed mechanical and could try genuinely smiling more. Maybe she was having an off night.

I'd like to give a better review. Really. I had high hopes for a quiet dinner in a place I used to love but they need to work on the acoustics. Otherwise, if you don't mind shouting over dinner then this is the place for you. It seems to have become more of a family restaurant, pubby type of place. I would like to check out the back deck in the summer though. It looks cool.