“Great seafood”

Fore Street Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Fore Street Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #30 of 634 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Franklin and Pearl
Reviewed 2 April 2018

My husband and I went for a late dinner. We got wine, which was great. The service was very good and the menu had so many interesting things to pick from. I got the scallops which were great. My husband got the flank steak. The bread at the start of the meal was delicious. The donuts for dessert were fantastic too. The restaurant is so cute and quaint. Very good dining experience.

Date of visit: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2,132)

Reviewed 25 March 2018

We had called ahead but of course they were booked, but we knew tables are available for walk ins. We took our chance and headed for Fore Street on a Friday late March. No tables were available (guess you need to be there at opening in order to secure a table). After a short wait, at 5:40PM seats opened in the bar as diners were seated in the dining rooms. Shortly after the bar area was again filled, many taking the advantage of dining at the bar. Bar staff was efficient and service minded.

We ordered our wine and were excited to check the ever changing menu. Crusty country bread and whipped butter was a teaser for what to come.

From the menu of the evening we picked:
Wood Grilled Atlantic Squid, Napa Cabbage, Green Onion and preserved Meyer Lemon, Beet and Kohlrabi slaw, pea tendril oil. So fresh and tender. Score 5+*
American Shad Roe with morels, pancetta, shallots and aged sherry vinegar. Not often we find roe on the menu! We had to try it. Interesting taste. Score 4*
Pan seared John Dory filet, beets, celeriac, Napa cabbage, watermelon radish in a lemon-thyme vinaigrette Absolutely fantastic. Score 5+*
Wood oven roasted halibut filet, Peter Wilcox potatoes, marinated purple cabbage and fermented cabbage aioli. Delicious. Score 5*
Key lime pie and Chocolate mousse cake both with 2 types of ice cream - both heavenly. Score 5*

(* We rate the dishes we try on a scale from 1-5, 5 being outstanding.)

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Made reservations here almost 2 months in advance due to its popularity in all seasons. Had been here last year and had the spectacular halibut the size of a fist - moist and so delicious, but this time it was the Arctic char - flavorful with light seasonings, greens and fingerling potatoes. You could happily nosh on the wonderful breads from Standard Baking Co. or get side- tracked with the truly bite-size desserts. Everything was perfection and the service the same (thank you, Lance!) in a warm and inviting setting. We had a superb dinner and left very content and relaxed - a wonderful experience we'll want to have again next time we head north.

Reviewed 21 March 2018 via mobile

I went to Fore Street for the first time last month for my fathers birthday, with a small group. It’s always been surprising even to me that I’ve been involved in the Portland food scene so much and it still took me five years to make it... as I found after this first visit, I’ve been missing out.

We were seated in a corner circular table- notable because I have to commend the waitstaff for how gracefully they handled the task of having to reach across people during the meal.

It’s been a little while, but I remember the foie gras being perfectly seared. Paired with a fluffy little dumpling of sorts that they called a gnocchi but that I’m not so sure I’d classify as such. Delicious nonetheless. Then for my entree I had a beef short rib with spaetzel, also good, but it was a bit heavy on salt- and I’m a complete salt fanatic.

Most notable of all was the absolutely flawless service. I worked in fine dining for years and I could not fault our waitress - Stephanie for a single move. We were never lacking, the perfect mix of attentive without being overbearing. Thank you Stephanie! I’m used to good service, and you were exceptional.

All in all, I definitely need to go again. I cannot wait to see what they have on the menu next time. I was absolutely impressed.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

These folks really care about food, drink and ambiance and it shows. We had pork, lamb and flank steak, each immaculately cooked and seasoned. Salads and vegetables were carefully prepared; bread was rustic and beautiful. Drank old fashioneds and it was the best I’d had in a long time. Not sloppy and mushy - clean with all the complexity on display. This is a stunning restaurant. Make sure you visit.