“Discovered by chance ... how lucky can one be!”
Review of Terlingua

Terlingua
Ranked #82 of 623 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 6 June 2017

We were trying to find somewhere that had been recommended for some "fish n chips" when we came across Terlingua. The aroma coming from the restaurant was all we needed to curtail our search and promptly head inside. Wow! What a find! The restaurant has a cool, funky, industrial vibe and the service is warm and welcoming from the moment one steps inside the door. The menu is amazing. I decided to try the BBQ Platter of the day. These were BBQ ribs paired with Collard Greens and Beans. Wow! The ribs were tender yet with a good bite. These aren't your "run-of-the-mill" sticky, gooey, sweet ribs ...these are something completely different. Try them. You won't be disappointed! The Collard Greens were amazing and the Beans were outstanding. You guessed incorrectly ... I loved this place! If you think the food is great just try the house made Ginger Beer ... it will redefine your expectations of this beverage ... forever! Terlingua is a real highlight in Portland's vibrant restaurant scene. Got try it!

Reviewed 2 May 2017

I heard about Terilingua back in 2015 and have wanted to check them out since then. We own a Big Green Egg and I had heard they smoke their meats on one and was excited. We finally made it to Terilingua this past Sunday and it was even more impressive than I imagined. The food was over the top and our waiter Alex was quite the character. He educated us on the specials and helped my husband choose between two tough choices ....smoked pastrami or smoked beef tenderloin! I have eaten at many fine establishments in our beloved city of Portland ..,,Terilingua is on the outskirts of where most tourists travel but well worth the few extra steps or taxi to venture. Please don't think it's too far away per that tip ..,.i just know the reason it took me too long to get there is we tend to stay closer to the Old Port / waterfront area of Portland when in town. Don't wait as long as I did ....I. Won't be waiting too long to visit there again.

Reviewed 13 March 2017

I have been to Terilingua a number of times . I have enjoyed it every time. Though small, it is cozy and warm. I have had numerous dishes- Fish Tacos, smoked meat,and that great Tortilla soup ( should have the option of a cup though-a lot to eat with a meal)! The wine list is good. Wait staff are very friendly and can always clarify menu items. Only negative is parking on Washington avenue!

Reviewed 11 March 2017 via mobile

We visited at about 7:30 on a Saturday night looking for and anticipating great barbecue. As would be expected there was a wait but no worries as we were able to have fresh beers next door at Ox Bow until our table opened. Once seated, we found out that the smoked barbecue was mostly sold out so we had to delve into the other items on their fairly limited menu. Half the party ordered fish tacos and half order ed the flank steak tacos. Entrees came with delicious rice and beans but we were hungry so we also ordered sides of lightly pickled warm buttered beats, roasted cauliflower and jalapeño corn bread. OMG! Everything was absolutely delicious.
Nice sized portions of the proteins and starches arrived and were beautifully presented. The steak was perfectly cooked (rare) and very flavorful with a nice dry rub and crusty exterior. The tortillas appeared homemade and were delicious loaded up with all the fixings and topped off with a spicy salsa. The fish was haddock that was perfectly deep fried in a tasty beer batter. The avocado cream sauce was simply delicious and tied everything together perfectly. No doubt we went in expecting barbecue but ended up eating delicious Caribbean influenced tacos. Highly recommended!

1  Thank moxie88
Reviewed 27 February 2017 via mobile

I LOVED this place. BBQ was perfect (pulled pork, raw slaw, pickles - and we started with the fattest mussels I've ever had). Go on a Sunday for Neighborhood Night - it's a discretionary menu, but really delicious, and a little easier on the wallet. Totally 100% worth it.