“The place for Pho in south Portland”
Review of Huong

Huong
Ranked #263 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Description: Huong's Vietnamese Restaurant is a family business opening soon on St. John Street, Portland, Maine.
Reviewed 16 July 2017

My wife and I were visiting Portland and I had a hankering for some Pho.
This is a true find in my book. The broth was dense and had the unmistakable depth that comes from years of experience and long cook times.
We went on a slow night and got to chat with one of the cooks.
Very good food and I would call this top 3 of all pho joints I have been to.

Date of visit: July 2017

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

Our friends found an article in the Sunday paper about Huong. We decided to try it. The service was good, the place was clean and the selections excellent. Upon reflection the meal was good but not outstanding. It was hard to eat from the standpoint of chop sticks, soup spoons or forks. I would not return but felt it was good to experience. Prices were very reasonable...60.00 for 4 people and we had a lot to eat. Maybe others would like it more...we may not be the right kind of patrons.

Date of visit: April 2017
Reviewed 27 March 2017

I had the rare steak and meatball pho. Very good taste and the broth was flavored well. Friendly staff and good food only thing bad was finding parking.

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

I love Vietnamese food and good, reasonably priced Vietnamese food is hard to find in Maine. We had family in town from California and wanted to see how Huong's compared to the West Coast. We went on a Sunday evening and got lucky with parking but the 15 minute street parking until 6 would not cut it during the week. For that fact alone, we probably won't be regulars here. The inside isn't the fanciest, which we actually prefer because that usually indicates that the food is good but if you're looking for a fancy atmosphere, this won't be your jam. It was semi busy for dinner but the service was disappointingly slow. It took longer than average to get the single server's attention to order. We ordered iced coffee which was forgotten, but quickly brought out once we asked for it. We were done eating for at least 15 min and didn't receive our check yet and went up to the counter to pay and our check wasn't written yet, which is unlike most Vietnamese restaurants. Prices are lower than other Vietnamese restaurants in the area ($7.95 for Pho, $8.95 for Egg Roll and Shredded Pork Bun) but also the Pho was also smaller. It was filling enough but less than other restaurants. The Pho was good but had a unique spice to it, not in a bad way, but different. Tons of green onions, cilantro, parsley and lemon -- to the point it was a little overwhelming though. The Bun was very good. Tons of peanuts just like the menu picture but it was good and no complaints. We could tell the egg rolls were frozen so we might skip those next time. Am I glad we checked it out? Yes. Will it become a weekly spot for us? Probably not. Will I return? Sure, if parking is good that day.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 9 December 2015 via mobile

A big fan of Vietnamese food and Pho in particular. Stopped in after a long weekend away in Maine and after doing some quick research,
Stopped At Huong's. Very glad we did.
The food was very good-
Hot, ample and served relatively
Quickly. Both of us got the chicken pho with steamed vegetables. The broth which is what matters was quite good. Also, the hot chili sauce they serve on the table was delicious- nice and spicy.
Finally, the fresh spring rolls were as good as any we have had.
A nice find and worth a trip. On the less touristy side of Portland.
I will add that the ambience leaves
Much to be desired. The lighting is way too bright big if just looking for very good Vietnamese food,
Go to Huong's.