“Good Inexpensive Food and Impressive Service”

Veranda Noodle House
Ranked #134 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 22 February 2016

This is a new restaurant occupying the space of the now-closed and overpriced Salt Exchange. I was working on the day I wandered in, having heard good things about it, and had only a short lunch period, but didn't want to do takeout, which they also offer. I was clear about my time constraint when I got seated, and the very friendly staff really stepped-up to the plate to accommodate me - with zero attitude and no sign of being stressed-out with my request.

Though I didn't care for the pop music playing initially, the universe must have sensed my displeasure because half-way through my meal it got switched to something more soothing and appropriate for the setting: a nicely-appointed, modern Asian bistro. My server brought an iced water. I ordered from the lunch specials menu a vegetarian vermicelli noodle dish w/veggies and crispy tofu. It was a touch lacking in spice, but a little soy sauce quickly fixed that. The portion was decent and the food very fresh, and there was enough left over for me to pack up and take home with me for later.

Most impressive was that the staff brought me a complimentary tom kha gai soup AND a single fried spring roll with dipping sauce while I waited for the entree to come out. Very classy and generous! To boot, seeing that I was eating vegetarian, they made sure the spring roll was, too- as was the delicious soup which normally includes chicken- without my even having to ask !

A pretty dining room complete with cloth napkin and tablecloth, fresh orange as a palate-cleanser at the end, and slices of cool cucumber to compliment the vermicelli .... this was an excellent first experience here. And at under $11.00 for all of this, the price can't be beaten either. Appropriately, I left a generous tip, and you should, too. I will be back.

Date of visit: February 2016

Reviewed 14 January 2016 via mobile

Thai food at its finest! Great for all types of outings. Whether you are going out with family or friends or just want to grab a bite solo this restaurant is great!

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 4 January 2016

My kids will tell you how picky I am about restaurants and the food and the wine and the prices. My daughter and I had a most amazing lunch today at Veranda. I just got a new cell phone and can't figure out how to get the photos to upload, so you can take my word for it. The food is house made, the service is fantastic, the venue bright and new and has a warm ambience on a cold January day.

We ordered lunch, which comes with a cup of Tom Kha, a coconut milk and veggie soup, an appetizer, which was two each house made chicken tenders. We ordered pan fried dumplings where put a certain trendy dumpling house in the dog house for flavor. I had Drunken Noodles, fresh, colorful and with lovely fresh wide rice noodles that I've never seen before. They had a great mouth feel and substance. Meg had Massaman Curry, again, bright with color and beautifully presented. Servings were generous enough to take home enough for dinner.

Venue: They had only been open here on Commercial Street, across from Nine Stones Spa, for a month. The place is separated into a bar with cocktail tables and a dining room. There is lots of seating and it combines open brick with dark wood and nice light from the huge windows. I urge you to take a break from the tiny Thai boutique eateries popular in Portland and gather with family and friends at Veranda. This is now our go-to meeting place for when I drive 80 miles to meet my kiddos for lunch.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed 3 December 2015

This place is amazing great costumer service and the food is the best. They offer great selection of Thai and Vietnamese food

Date of visit: December 2015