“Great bagels, cookies, etc. All organic made with the best whole grains. Top quality drinks like carrot juice, etc.”
Review of Scratch Baking Co.

Scratch Baking Co.
Ranked #1 of 9 Dessert in South Portland
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed 7 July 2017 via mobile

Visit weekly and mobbed always. Price is right, people are friendly. It is small and geared for take out. Once you visit , it becomes addicting.

There are newer reviews for Scratch Baking Co.

Reviewed 27 June 2017

I got my mom a gift card here for her birthday and we went to town ordering when she came up to visit. The almond horseshoes are so delicious. My boyfriend is obsessed with the chocolate chip cookies, as they have chocolate that seems almost spread throughout the inside of the cookie. My mom and dad are a fan of oatmeal raisin and my dad said "they know how to bake".

I also got the coconut cake, which is always a favorite.

I was just disappointed with one thing. My mom picked out a slice of tropical carrot cake as her birthday slice and when we had it, it wasn't good! It wasn't very sweet. The spices were interesting, and not bad, but the cake itself was very dry. In comparison to the coconut cake, it just didn't even seem like it came from the same bakery.

I love Scratch and will continue to go there, but hope this is constructive feedback for them (just that one slice, please don't change anything else!).

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Go there but: get there early!!!!!! They open at six and I was there at 6:00am on 3 of the 4 days we were in South Portland. Each day, they had a number of people waiting for the bakery to open. It is well worth the effort. The bagels are baked fresh every morning and when they runout - that's it!!!!! Although the other baked goods are equally delicious and inviting - the bagels are the best. Definitely on the short list for any return visit.

1  Thank Pat K
Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

Eclectic chewy bagels that fly out of the shop! Brownies, cookies and sweets as well as gourmet coffee.

Reviewed 6 June 2017

This was by far the best bagel I've ever had. My husband says the same. The bagels were crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. The woman at the place that we were staying bought us a ganache cake from here as as welcome. Perfect size and so delicious. Nice chocolate flavor and moist cake. We also tried their coffee cake. It was moist and delicious. This is must stop if you are in the area. They do have an area where you could order food but couldn't get a toasted bagel. I was disappointed by that. Just ate it without it being toasted and it was great.