All reviewsmain buildingbit datedcontinental breakfast was greatquiet sidethe wi fibar harborlocation is greatnice balconysmall townacadia parkyogurtshort walk into townclassic maineenglish muffinlarge roomrooms are cleanfour nights
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I cannot review the main building, but I was in Room #5 for 4 days. Paid up full, so I wasn't able to escape the horror! Upon arrival, I tiredly sat down on the room's wooden chair with armrests, only to find my arms sticking to the wooden armrests. I quickly washed and took my travel disinfectant to wipe clean . The paper towel was "black" I took the paper towel to the main office and told them I had no problem with the dated furniture,but my room should be clean!! There was no apology, just stares. She then asked me what part of the chair was dirty. I asked her to clean the WHOLE room because many items (furniture) was sticky and filthy. Afterwards, housekeeping did a so-so job after my request. Next Thing That Happened! Next to last day, housekeeping picks up my white terry cloth robe along with the room's towels. Did not notice until next morning. I was able to retreat it, but when I got home I noticed that I didn't have my personal Ralph Lauren towel in my bag either! (A light pink bath towel) Apparently that is back in the motel along with their inventory. This was the worst experience with a motel ever!!! . Will never ever come here again. There is just no excuse for a dirty room nor nasty looks from housekeeping!

Room Tip: Wifi was spotty and difficult to get
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Sedge S, Manager at Harbor View Motel And Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2017

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Harbor View Motel and Cottages. I was disheartened to see your complaints about cleanliness, to say the least. The Harbor View takes great pride in providing a clean environment, and I believe we do a consistent job in upholding this standard. I'm sorry the room wasn't satisfactory in this regard, and there certainly is no excuse.

After talking to housekeeping, I was informed that you were offered another room, but you said you were fine with the one you had. Also, if it was just a "so-so" job after the second cleaning, why didn't you take it up with management. I would have been more than happy to check the room myself and compensate you appropriately, but you never brought it up again. In regards to the incident with your robe, it was returned to you and was an honest mistake. As far as the Ralph Lauren towel, we have checked throughout the motel and it is not there.

I don't have a problem with a negative review, but if you don't notify management and don't take the offer of another room, your comments lose credibility and you come across as a person with an axe to grind. Next time, if you really want the problem solved, I suggest you talk to the appropriate personnel before you rake a business over the coals. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

We checked in to the main motel, great sized balcony & amazing views. The room was a bit dated & mismatched, but clean & the bed was comfy. Shame there was no air conditioning. Breakfast was fine, yoghurts, bagels, the usual stuff. We took it to our room and ate on the balcony, or in the adirondack chairs in the garden. Close to shops & restaurants. Don't go here expecting luxury, but for the price great value, great view. My one concern was that the breakfast ladies stood at the reception door smoking, not good when all the signs say no smoking near doors.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Safari806399
Reviewed 22 June 2017

The Harbor View is a good deal. THere is a main 3 story building which houses the office and all rooms face the harbor. There is a parking lot in front of the main building; the lot is lined with a row of attached motel style units on each side of the lot. There is a little service road beyond the lot with a couple of cabins.

My experience: On the plus side, the Harbor view is affordable. It is walking distance to the little town center which had some nice eateries. The main building faces the harbor and is on the water. All rooms in the main building have water views. The staff is relaxed but nice and the feeling there was casual and laid back. There is a little breakfast, which, for health conscious eaters, probably won't be too attractive, but coffee and tea and real o j, in fridge, & bags of ice for the rooms was appreciated. On the top floor of the main building, there is a large room that has 3 separate beds and a fridge.. This was the only accommodation I could find in the wider Acadia area with 3 beds which was a great find and perfect for our needs. The room was large, the furnishings are old as others have commented on.. this is not an issue for us, as the bed was comfortable (at least the one I slept in) and I had a good night sleep in the bed. Coverlets are always kind of gross to me in hotels.. this was no exception.. there was some sand on ours which may me consider asking for a new coverlet. The wi fi seems to go to sleep about 11 pm every night.. during the day I didn't have a problem but it was frustrating at night when I was trying research to make plans for the following day.

The room at the 3rd floor is adjoined to another by a door that could allow these two rooms to open into a suite.. This would be great for a big family etc.. but,, for us two of the four nights we spent were very unpleasant because of it.. One night, one of our party who was sleeping in a bed against the adjoining wall said he was unable to sleep because of how loudly someone was snoring in the other room. The next night, the adults in that room had a party and we could hear every word, ice being dug into, voices growing more slurred louder, none of us slept until they did, which was after 2 am. I went to the desk at 1 am, but it was closed for the night.. That really is my only complaint and it is not something you can really plan for , you never know who youre going to get next door,, and the walls are very thin between.

Room Tip: water harborview in main building.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Staff are great - friendly and helpful. The location is wonderful - walking distance to the small town of Southwest Harbor with several restaurants and stores. Do keep in mind these are Down East Maine tides - the photos are at high tide, and for hours each day, the bay empties, and you'll be looking at ocean bottom. Easy to get to Bar Harbor (although even in the off season parking there is a challenge), and same for Acadia park. The motel rate should be considered a bargain for the area. Our rate included a simple continental breakfast.
Cons: No air conditioning. It was unseasonably hot in early June, and the second floor unit we stayed in does not have cross ventilation unless the front door is left open. The motel does supply a fan. Interior is a bit dated. Frame construction transmits noise from the unit above - where during our stay a toddler apparently liked to get up as early as 5am and run across the floor. During off-season some local restaurants and shops may not be open, or have limited hours.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Sedge S, Public Relations Manager at Harbor View Motel And Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2017

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Harbor View Motel and Cottages. You did an excellent job describing your stay, including the surrounding area. I can understand your frustration in regards to the noise from above and the temperature being hotter than normal. 9 times out of 10, these are not issues and I apologize for the inconvenience. Typically, the ocean breeze keeps things reasonable as far as the temps are concerned, but we will look into ways to create better ventilation when needed. We hope you will come back and visit, as we are committed to improving the quality of stay for all of our guests.

Marketing Manager

Reviewed 13 June 2017 via mobile

The property has both a couple of motel units and several cottages. We stayed in one of the larger cottages as we needed sleeping capacity for 5. Cute, comfortable, and convenient.

A bedroom downstairs for mom and dad, lus 3 beds upstairs for the kids. Perfect view of the Harbor to watch the activity and beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Just a short 3 minute walk to downtown Southwest Harbor but it's off of Main Street about a quarter of a block so it's super quiet. Plenty of room for the kids to run and explore.

Clean, comfortable, and affordable. Being off the main track it's kind of a hidden gem.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family

Hello,

Thank you for your review of the Harbor View Motel and Cottages. Your description of the property and location was superb, and touched on why so many people enjoy staying at the Harbor View. It's practical in it's location to the lovely village of Southwest Harbor, but tucked away enough to provide privacy and tranquility. We hope you will come back again some day for another stay.

Marketing Manager