All reviews somes sound quiet side bar harbor harbor activity mooring balls sunrise and sunset minor issue continental breakfast is adirondack chairs watch the boats screened in porch acadia national park perfect place to stay pleasure of staying our honeymoon the cottages short drive
Reviewed 15 October 2013

For an 18th century Captain's Home, I think this is doing pretty well.
We stayed in Spindrift, and we had a lovely picture window to welcome the day each morning, and watch the sunset each night. The only thing I didn't really like about the room was that the bathroom was not private (no door). Next year, we're shooting for the Dauntless Suite.

Because the home is so old, it has noise leaks - you can really hear people moving about in the other rooms. This was not a problem for us, because all of the guests were courteous about their voice level and heaviness of feet down the hall. The beds were comfortable, but the pillows could use replacement. There were plenty of blankets to keep us warm.
The staff was lovely, and helped us navigate to the best places all around - parking, food, hiking. Having hot/cold drinking water was really nice.

The breakfast was just what I expected and wanted - some fruit, cheese, hard boiled eggs. (the coffee is not good, so we passed on that - but we're snobs about coffee).

We paid for the view and to be on the (very) Quietside. We were comfortable enough, and this is a great base of operation. We did not go to ME in October to be pampered to death, we just wanted some peace and quiet, good views, and rest. This fit the bill. See you next year.

Room Tip: Download the white noise App to use at night - cuts down on other guest noise. Spindrift does not have a private bathroom. Ask about the rooms specifically if you want a tub, views, etc.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
MooringsInn, Manager at The Moorings Inn Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

We enjoyed being your hosts. Your appreciation of our relaxed yet comfortable setting is what we stride for. Thank you for your thoughts.

Yes, Spindrift suite does have a unique layout. There is a door from the bedroom to enter the bathroom/sitting room, which provides privacy. This sitting room is also the travel way to enter your private deck.

We are happy the breakfast met your expectations. We have worked hard to accommodate a full breakfast (taking today’s common health concerns into consideration) without having a full kitchen or dining room in the main house. We serve Folgers coffee. I have ensured that we keep this brand name. Yes, not an organic blend (which many of us do prefer) but a tasty crowd pleasing option just the same. Most days I feel I am in a coffee commercial. Managing the desk of this Oceanside inn, with our guests sipping our coffee saying; “uhm, this is good”.

A loving write up we received in a 1988 print edition of “America’s Wonderful Little Hotels & Inns East” describes this inn owned by the King family as a no-frills inn; “Neither fancy, nor precious, it is one of the homiest, least fussy places we have ever stayed in…..Sitting up in the bed in our great big suite, we could almost convince ourselves we were on a boat: our huge picture window showed us nothing but the sound and neighboring yachts. We’ve been thinking about the Moorings since the day we left, and we can’t wait to go back again.”

We truly enjoyed your stay and review. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here 3 nights on our honeymoon, Sep 29-Oct 1. After a leisurely ride up the Maine coast we were very excited when we reached the Moorings Inn. After alot of time researching Mt. Desert Island, I decided on the Pilot Cottage and couldn't have been more happy. I talked to the manager, Nichole, on the phone a few times and was convinced this is where we wanted spend our honeymoon. When we arrived early Sunday evening, the front desk was very accomodating and answered any questions we had. They gave us great suggestions for dinner and had menus to look at of surrounding restaurants. The cottage was incredible. There was so many different, interesting decorations and pictures. The two person jacuzzi tub was a treat. We had a screened in porch with a view of the harbor. We also had a working fireplace we used one evening, the Inn provided the wood. There was a pier where I was able to view the most incredible sunrises!! Definetely get up to see it!! There was a satisfying continental breakfast each morning and always coffee available in the main house. I look forward to coming back and staying in the Pilot Cottage again!!! The Moorings Inn made my honeymoon the best ever!! Thank you

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
MooringsInn, Manager at The Moorings Inn Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Congratulations to you both! We could not be more touched that your momentous celebration was so fulfilling. Love your photos; especially the sunrises, and the one with the crows on the arbor. What a lovely "Mainer" eye you have. We look forward to being a retreat/anniversary home away from home for you. Best to you both.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I stayed there 1 night. I wished we had stayed there all of our 4 nights because the Moorings Inn is a total delight. It is very quaint, quiet and peaceful. It is situated right on the harbor. You are very close to Bass Harbor Light, Seawall and other Acadia points of interest. We stayed in “Port” -- a very charming cottage on the second floor. It had a little kitchen and woodstove The continental breakfast is yummy. I highly recommend this inn. The staff is absolutely wonderful.
Eating Place not to miss:
Common Good Café – scrumptious popovers (Southwest Harbor)
Captain Nemo – local bar with billiards and delicious sweet potatoes fries (Southwest Harbor)
Amigo del Diablo - Mexican food: great tacos and burritos at a reasonable price (Bar Harbor)

Room Tip: They have some rooms that are hard to get to because of stairs. "Port" Cottage has a very small bathroom.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
MooringsInn, Manager at The Moorings Inn Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

What a pleasure to have you come and stay. Mansell Port is one of our accommodations that is open year round. A great place to sit back and have a wood fire in the even quiter season. So happy you enjoyed a variety of local favorites. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 14 July 2013

This inn was wonderful. Away from the hussle of Bar Harbor, view of the real fishermen's harbor on one side and bay to ocean on the other. Right on the water, lovely lawn and pier.
I could have my well behaved dog with me. Very welcoming, serene, real Maine .
And at once close to everything on Mt Desert Island. I will stay here when i come again.

Room Tip: So many choices, all great ,unique.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank carol k
MooringsInn, Manager at The Moorings Inn Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

We are so happy that we were a great fit for you. We are proud to be pet friendly, and encourage our guests to relax and breathe in this serenity. We embrace that the Moorings Inn represents a simpler time. When life was calmer. We too enjoy that we are a 3 minute car ride to stand in Acadia, while our view looks out to every mountain peak in the National Park. You are always welcome back at the inn.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I were at the Moorings Inn this past weekend. We were somewhat skeptical due to the mixed reviews but we decided to take our chances. We were at the Dauntless Suite that was beautifully decorated and of course had an amazing view! We did have a minor issue in the room but the staff was very friendly and fixed it right away! I agree that it might seem relatively expensive (at least our room was) but it was well worth it. The breakfast was pretty standard and the muffin and the yummy cake/bread are a must!
5 cheers for both the Moorings Inn and the lovely staff!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

5 Cheers for you! Such a pleasure to have you here. Our mixed reviews are certainly a reflection of the unique property the Moorings Inn is. Operating a 1784 Sea Captains house is certainly a heartfelt family focus. We do not have air conditioning, or a waffle maker. We do have a full complimentary continental breakfast, ocean breeze, fans, & wifi. We do have cherished memories over generations of the families that continue to come and stay. We have lots of history, & tasteful accommodations. We are family owned for 53 years. We are 5th generational Innkeepers to the town of Southwest Harbor. Our local staff works hard to meet any needs you may have. We work hard to keep rates reasonable while still maintaining the integrity and longevity of our cherished establishment. Thank you for coming to share your journey with us, and enhancing our experience as well.