“Delicious Treat!!”

Varano's Italian Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 70 Restaurants in Wells
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 6 November 2017

Wow was the food delicious here! A little more expensive than our usual night out (entree plates average $25-30, $5 salad add-on, appetizers around $10-15), but we were celebrating on our honeymoon so it was worth the treat for us. We were recommend to try this restaurant by one of our family members.

The food was delicious and the service was prompt. There was never a delay between courses.

I absolutely loved the frutti di mare. The portion was large enough to share, with a generous amount of seafood. I took home my leftovers and there was still enough for two people for dinner. Be warned: the arrabiatta sauce is spicy. It's one of the spiciest I've had in a long time; I absolutely loved it!

Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

I would try it on a Thursday for there special otherwise it's too much money for what you get. Food a 3, service a 2 and value 2.

Reviewed 27 October 2017

Six of us who stay in Ogunquit every October, dined here and loved it. Our hotel recommended Varano's and we were happy they did. The service and food was very good and we will be back next year again. I had the Veal Parmigiana and the portion was huge. Everyone in our group liked the food.

Reviewed 26 October 2017 via mobile

On a weekend trip to Ogunquit this month, my wife and I decided to have an Italian dinner and chose Varano’s based on the sample menu we saw online. The restaurant doesn’t offer reservations, so we decided to go early in the event of a large Saturday night crowd. The food is some of the best Italian I’ve ever had: for an app I enjoyed a very tasty Bolognese on focaccia, the sauce unusually piquant and I think the best I’ve tasted. My main course was Veal Parmigiana, a very tender large cutlet served with requested linguini rather than penne ordinarily paired with the dish. Again, with a perfect chunky and savory marinara sauce, this was the best execution of the dish I’ve enjoyed. My wife enjoyed an app of creamy polenta and a main course of seafood fettuccine with superbly sauced shrimp and other seafood. The fettuccine was in her opinion a bit undercooked, but the seafood and sauce were delicious. We shared a piece of very light cheesecake which was not overbearing to the large, hearty portions of the main dishes.
We will certainly return on our next visit to the area.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

When in the area this is our to go to Italian Restaurant. We enjoy it a lot. Our server today was Tracy L. She was very good. The bread she brought to the table was unfortunately awesome! I ordered the Managers special “Chicken Caprese”. Hubby got the Veal Parmesan. It was a huge portion, plenty for left overs & he stated was excellent. I on the other hand did not care for my meal. Tracy described it as being made with lemon sauce & garlic plus the tomatoes & mozzarella cheese. It however did not have much flavor & was made with cherry/grape tomatoes. I took 3 bites & Tracy took it back. I might add that I love caprese salads! I the ordered the Ravioli to replace the meal I returned. The ravioli was very good & would have been better if it came with meat sauce rather than marinara. We ordered two cannoli’s to go, traditional style with pistachios, no chocolate for us!!! With the two glasses of wine, the meals & dessert it came to $87.37 without the tip. (Please note I was not charged for the meal that I returned).