“Don't let them talk you into selling your music box”
Review of Musical Wonder House - CLOSED

Musical Wonder House
Type:
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Five years ago I was talked into letting them sell my two music boxes and over 5,000 worth of repairs that I didn't think was that necessary I was told that I would be able to sell each one for about 4,500.00 dollars with a 10% commission. Three years later one box sold or maybe they just paid me the price of 1200.00 less 10% commission. It has been 2 additional years and I haven't heard a word from them. I feel that they were only in the business of getting money for called repairs, not as was promised. Still waiting for a final disposition regarding this matter.

2  Thank Nathan L

Reviewed 29 November 2013

This was such a lovely, tranquil visit on several occastions through the years! We would recommend to anyone near Wiscasset.

Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was a facinating and unique museum. The museum looks like a historic house, but it is completely full of the most incredible musical devices. Musical Wonder House is an appropriate name. I wasn't sure what to expect, I had never given too much thought to music boxes. This incredible collection gave me a whole new appreciation and education in the complexities and variety of musical devices leading up to, and including, early phonographs. Way before MP3s, cd's, or records... music boxes were the first form of music that you could own and take home. Before that, you'd need to get a musical instrument and play it yourself. The sound and diversity of these devices is way beyond what you'd think of today as a "music box". They were incredible, and sounded unbelievable!
There is an hour tour available (which we took), and a longer one too. The tour actually lasted about an hour and a half, the guide was extremely knowledgeable and interesting. To not only see these rare gems, but to hear them too, was fantastic. They take you through the rooms and demonstrate the devices in roughly chronological order, starting with the oldest to the more "modern" (like the Edison phonograph). The collection was so extensive and thorough... For every one that was played, there were dozens more to see. This collection is the largest and most complete in the world. We were in awe of music boxes with real percussion and chimes built in, music boxes that had changable songs on large metal discs, player pianos, and even miniture automatons. Photographs are permitted. This unique museum is highly recommended for those with a love of history and music!

Reviewed 2 September 2013

It is an amazing place. Our guide Glenn was very knowledgeable. Our one hour tour actually lasted two hours since our guide was eager to answer all questions. He gave us an opportunity to listen to many music boxes and other mechanical instruments. We were able to touch many items. The tour was like a fairy tale. You have to visit the Musical Wonder House.