“Fantastic meal”

Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in Wiscasset
Price range: US$8 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Italian
Reviewed 5 May 2017

We met another couple here for dinner two weeks ago. Later in the season reservations are next to impossible but we were able to make our reservations with no difficulty. The meal from the cocktails to the dessert were nothing short of fantastic. My wife had one of the evening's specials; a salmon dish. She said that it was the best she had ever had. I also ordered a special which was outstanding. I can also highly recommend the truffle fries shared by all of us. This is a place not to be missed.

Reviewed 4 May 2017

Make a reservation
Very good restaurant located in Wiscasset. I enjoyed the spinach salad, accompanied by bistro steak with sauteed asparagus. For dessert our party had the carrot cake, and cannoli. Prices are very reasonable, and the place is small but yet elegant and holds a soothing clean atmosphere. Our server, Ashton was professional yet personable and knew the menu and wines very well. My only flaw would be to have bigger side plates for sharing appetizers. Other than that, be sure to make a reservation, and enjoy a good evening.

Reviewed 1 April 2017

I am so glad we took the word of friends and found this place. The drink after we were seated (on time) was fabulous, perhaps the best blood orange marg I have had. No weakling, it was zesty and flavorful. One mark of a good version of this type of drink is if you can see through it. You couldn't see through this one for sure. The food was superb, starting with crispy (really crispy) calamari, then pastas. Service, by Chelsea, was prompt and fine and friendly. (Contrary to another review, the temperature was fine.)

There are a few downsides: the place is quite small, based, reportedly, on a prior restaurant, and in order to seat the most people (which is good in that it does let people eat here), tables are crammed together. The back of my chair rested firmly against the back of the chair behind me all evening. There was no space to move it and three of us were unable to move the table itself. Getting in and out of the chair required a sort of balletic sideways move, not too graceful on my part.

A wonderful place. We'll go back, but probably later, like 8 PM, and mid-week. It might be a little less crowded.

Another aspect that you might like or dislike: the portions are large, and almost everyone seemed to be taking part of their meal home with them in those little cardboard boxes. To me personally, that is more like a roadside diner or inexpensive family-style restaurant than fine dining, and I'd prefer more modestly sized portions in the most elegant setting possible, but if you like the idea of continuing your superb entree at home at a later date, it is a good thing.

And just a pet peeve from me that wouldn't be likely to bother anyone else: they have sourced the most beautiful "Edison" type electric light bulbs. The bulbs have full spiral filaments that glow warmly, but the staff evidently doesn't clean the bulb glass, so it is coated in dust, see pic. A shame to spend all that money and not let the lamps shine. They might want to take a hint from a certain religion - let their light so shine that we may see their good work!

Looking forward to going again, and soon.

1  Thank johnH1892DD
Reviewed 1 April 2017

Exquisite food and atmosphere, easy to talk, food at least as good as Sam Hayward's 22 Lincoln but staff wasn't pretentious. Staff very pleasant and welcoming, only and always there where something was needed/wanted. Clearly this out of the way gem is a dining experience not to miss.

Reviewed 17 March 2017

It's been in business for a while now and I've heard nothing but raves from friends. Last night our 49th wedding anniversary weekend like a good time. I'm glad I made reservations early every table was filled and we saw tables turn over while we were eating. Parking is a little tight but enough for the number of tables. We were created warmly and hostess took our coats. Drinks first and wife wine was a generous pour my bloody mary was more than tasty. Spouse had mussels (her go to dish) It had a taste of saffron and some other spices. Lots of mussels and spouse asked for an got a spoon for the sauce said it was one of the best she's had outside a few 5 star places we have been. I got fried calamari it was lightly breaded with a great sauce a neat add on was sweet onions in the sauce WOW. Spouse went for a scallop special and it was more than great. I went for the peialla (sp) made with cous cous, peas, mussels, shrimp, scallops, chicken. Waitress said it was a bit on the hot side. It was, but not so much one couldn't really enjoy it. I usually don't finish my entire meal to leave room for dessert. So I'm enjoying it again for lunch today. Desert was a warm apple cake and a maple cream brule both very good as a finish. Spouse said something unusuall as we were leaving " We really have to come back" She always likes to go different places and that was not a usual comment. Make your reservation early so you won't be disapointed.