“Most Apathetic Customer Service Ever”

Bethesda Marriott Suites
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Bethesda
Reviewed 20 September 2017

Do not stay at any Marriott Suites location - and especially the one in Bethesda, MD. Staff, customer service associates, and even escalation managers are as dismissive, irresponsible, and apathetic as they come. Marriott takes no ownership for wrong doings to customers, and hide behind legislative mandates that makes customers feel like liabilities instead of as guests. Do not trust them to stand by you if anything goes wrong during your stay and do not expect them to run any sort of thorough investigation if you file a claim. In fact, they will err on the side of the company instead of the side of the customer because, you know, then they'd have to admit a wrong, which they clearly do not know how to do. Avoid at ALL costs.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Shani B, Manager at Bethesda Marriott Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Greetings Nashua M-
Thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention. As discussed in our previous communications, our leadership team has done everything possible in cooperation with our Consumer Affair and corporate offices to investigate your claim. I am so sorry that you feel this has not been resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards,

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Consistently overbooked so despite a confirmed reservation you are told there is no availability. Nearest 'alternative' hotel is over 20 minutes away without traffic and well over 40 minutes in traffic. They are unapologetic and refuse to honor Marriott's overbooking policies. Extraordinarily poor service especially in management. Will never stay at this property again. Rebooking 6 future reservations to non-Marriott properties.

Room Tip: Avoid this property altogether
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Bsanc086, Front Office Manager at Bethesda Marriott Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

Dear GreeneAL
I sincerely apologize for not being able to honor your reservation, as it had been previously confirmed. Unfortunately, we were in a sold-out situation and wanted to ensure that you had accommodations in one of our sister hotels. We value your loyalty, and I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you regarding the Marriott relocation policies. If you would like to share more information, please feel free to contact me at berta.orellana@marriott.com or by calling 301-897-5600.

We hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Bethesda.

Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

Platinum member for context but after this I probably will start avoiding Marriott. Late flight. I show up around 1 AM. Doors locked so I need to call the front desk to let me in. They cannot honor my reservation so they put me in a cab to another hotel in another town. Coming in from west coast, this meant I had to stay up extra late and wake up extra early, allowing an extra 45 mins of travel in the morning due to traffic. I come in and they hold my bags and I get a room for my second night at least. They were all apologetic because as a platinum member I am supposed to get a bunch of points for the inconvenience. They tried several times to get out of it and each time I had to show them the policy. At checkout they found a loophole they were willing to stand behind and declined to honor what they reluctantly but surely promised the night before. They happily gave me the finger as soon as they felt that they didn't have to do anything despite the craziness of the first night.

The hotel was nice enough, despite some brown (rust?) stains on towels and some staining on the floor in the shower. I will avoid it in the future though, knowing how they treat people.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Mgslp1
Bsanc086, Front Office Manager at Bethesda Marriott Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2017

Dear Mgslp1,
My sincere apologies for the inconveniences this may have caused you during your travel, I definitely understand how stressful this may have been especially because you travelled from so far to stay with us. This is not the level of service we strive to offer. I would like to have the opportunity to speak with you in regards to your benefits as a Platinum Elite Member. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail or phone berta.orellana@marriott.com
301-897-5600

Reviewed 14 September 2017

This hotel is exceptional for business travel. The staff is welcoming from the moment you walk in the door. The service at the bar at night time is top notch and the food is good if you don't want to venture out. My only complaint about the bar area at night is that it can get a bit loud when groups are meeting for Happy Hour. This is to be expected, though, in a lounge area.

Breakfast at the bar area is also nice. The staff is helpful, and while the selection is limited it is great for a grab and go meal.

I always take the shuttle to our office, and the shuttle staff is always super nice. They have the routes down and you will make it to your destination safe and sound.

The rooms are very nice with a separate seating area and bedroom. I enjoy being able to relax in the seating area before heading to bed.

Be sure to sign up for Marriot rewards so you get the free WiFi!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
Marty_Roth, General Manager at Bethesda Marriott Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Hello PDJ_TX - We appreciate the excellent rating and for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. Thank you for your kind words about the staff service as well as the food. I was also happy to read that you found our shuttle to be very convenient. If I can ever be of any assistance with any future reservations, please let me know. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2017

The hotel was fine. Clean and comfortable bed. The issue I have is with a staff member. When I was down eating breakfast there was a staff member, male, in a white jacket talking to some servers by the breakfast buffet. He said loud enough for anyone by the buffet to hear - "I am going down to Texas with my boat to make some money. I will tell them - you want off your roof? Give me $10." I about dropped my plate. SERIOUSLY??? This is a national tragedy, something that people have died from, many people hurt and countless displaced from their homes and you are talking about making money off of them?? SHAME ON YOU!!! Unfortunately it makes me want to never stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank heidi637
Shani B, Manager at Bethesda Marriott Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2017

Greetings heidi637, I would like to sincerely apologize for the interaction you were witness to in our restaurant on August 30th. Those comments you overheard are not only inappropriate but insensitive as well. I am as shocked and disgusted as you are and rest assured I will deal with the matter personally.
What you experienced is certainly not our standard level of service and if you would like to share any additional details about your experience, please feel free to reach out to me directly at shani.burton@marriott.com.
If you are ever in the Bethesda area again, I would like to welcome you back and allow us to exceed your expectations.