“Very good fish, good service, but I just couldn't get excited”

PassionFish Bethesda
Reserve with OpenTable
PassionFish Bethesda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 382 Restaurants in Bethesda
Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

Maybe properly cooked swordfish (not an easy thing to do) and friendly, competent service should be sufficient. And, there was absolutely nothing wrong with anything. I just couldn't get excited about this place and I can't really tell you why.

Everybody seemed to enjoy their meals. The server was prompt but it all seemed choreographed and not real. Again, I just couldn't put my finger on what kept me from giving this place a "5". It may have to do with the fact that I'm on a diet (again) and passed on the breads and other assorted goodies.

Frankly, and I don't wish to sound curmudgeonly, but I'm tired of the whole staff interrupting our conversation to ask how we are enjoying the meal. The waiter asked twice and the manager once. I was taught it was rude to interrupt another conversation unless it's to announce that the building is on fire. It seems to happen in every restaurant these days. I'm sure it's what they're taught to do. One of these days when I'm asked how I'm enjoying my meal, I may just respond with, "I was until you interrupted our conversation." But that's just the curmudgeon in me.

I will definitely go back when I'm thinner and in a better mood, though I still won't want our conversation interrupted.

2  Thank Bigkabloona

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Had lunch with colleagues at Passionfish. The food was very good. Had a salad and crab cake sandwich. Both were simply excellent. A simple green salad never tasted so good. The crab cakes were simply amazing. They also have a very decent selection of wines. Overall a very nice experience.

1  Thank Noel A
Reviewed 8 May 2017 via mobile

We are avid Passion Food Group fans so we finally trekked over to Bethesda to enjoy PassionFish Bethesda and wow was the uber trip worth it. We noshed on scrumptious Calamari and succulent oyster appetizers and delicious Mint Juleps in honor of Derby Day. Our entrees were fabulous, soft shell crabs, Halibut, Swordfish, and Barramundi. Even our side dishes were mouth watering, mac n cheese, asparagus spears, and egg plant. The soft Parker House were too tasty. All of our cocktails and Sauv Blanc wine was perfect. Chef even sent us a delicious tray of miniature desert snacks! Best meal in years. Kudos Passion Food Group.

1  Thank DfHRB
Reviewed 27 April 2017

We always like PassionFish because the food is great, the cocktails are interesting, service is excellent, and they pay attention to the sourcing of their seafood and state it on the menu. When we came here for our 20th anniversary, they made it a very special occasion, and we really appreciated it. This is our go-to place in Bethesda now.

2  Thank Beavextex
Reviewed 26 April 2017

First, best way to describe it: the oversize mermaid outside the restaurant - pure genius!!

You can have privacy or be in the middle of everything. Greeted by a very nice hostess, Nicoletta, and taken to a great booth past the bar area. They have a great reputation for the freshest fish and creative sushi rolls so we started with wicked tuna (ahi tuna & seared tuna Tataki, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno)and a Salmon Sunrise roll (salmon, spicy tuna, avocado, crunchy flakes, yuzu-sriracha). Just incredible!!!

My business guest and both had theRoasted beet salad! big enough for a meal!

Outstanding meal.