“Great Small Campground”

Cedarville State Forest
Reviewed 17 April 2016

I spent last weekend camping at Cedarville State Forest in a travel trailer. It was a very good experience. The staff is friendly and helpful. When I checked in on Friday, the attendant noted that it may be difficult to get in to the spot I reserved due tot he size of my trailer (31'). She offered a couple other suggestions, and I picked one. It worked out well. The family campground is small, and there is a pretty decent amount of space between the campsites. It was challenging maneuvering the trailer, but it can be done. As the website notes, there are no water hook-ups, so plan ahead. There is a water fill station (next to the dump station) right before you get to the campground, but it's not on the map they give you and not very well marked. Restrooms were clean and well-maintained.
I used this as a "home base" for exploring things in the area, but it's also a nice place to hike or just relax. I would stay here again and definitely recommend it.

2  Thank Kevin M
in 3 reviews
"playground"
"dc"

Reviewed 29 February 2016

We hiked Cedarville on a nice day in February. It is a lovely park that even on one of those rare warm winter days wasn't crowded. We hiked about half of the park. It has some great trails with some varied terrain. My wife said it was her favorite hiking place so far (and we've hiked some places, let me tell you).

The trails were well-marked and varied, from flat to fairly hilly. Even after some melted snow, I didn't find them too wet or muddy. You can hike long or short, however you wish, and never be too far away from your car, just in case you need to get back to it.

One downside is that there must be a nearby shooting range, as there were constant gunshots. The farther east you traveled in the park, the louder it got. I also knocked off a star for lack of scenery or water features - a few creeks here and there, but it is a pretty bland, basic hike if you're wanting some breathtaking views.

However, for a quick hike or picnic, this is a great option for DC area folks!

Reviewed 19 September 2015

My husband and I RV camped here for 2 nights last week on our way to the Williamsburg area and were pleasantly surprised when we got in late the first night. The sites were wooded and very private and the campground was incredibly quiet, even during the day. Other than lots of spiders and other insects....to be expected in the woods after all.. The bathrooms were adequate, well lit and stocked. This will be our 'go to' campground when we visit the DC area again. The Rangers patrolled frequently so we felt very secure as well.

Reviewed 8 July 2015

Great amenities at the state run park. Everything you'd need for a great weekend. Couple of things. No alcohol is permitted in the park, and the staff was more interested in parking enforcement and selling firewood than keeping the restrooms/showers well stocked and clean......just nasty.

1  Thank Advrdr
See more reviews
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was our fourth year at Cedarville State Forest, and we're ambivalent about returning. Let me explain...

The campground is wonderfully quiet and peaceful. The forest is mostly unbroken and undeveloped, so the background is pure woods. The campsites are a good size and well appointed - each with a pair of posts for a clothesline, a fire pit, and a picnic table. Sites on the inside of the loop have electric while sites on the outside of the loop do not. There is no water or sewer hookup, but spigots are located between every few sites and there is a dump station. There is one bathhouse in the middle of the loop.

While there are no other amenities to speak of - no wifi, no playgrounds, no camp store - the park is close enough to all of those things that you can go get them from time to time if you need to. This is a place to relax, read, hike, bike, explore, photograph, and sing around the campfire. My kids have learned to trailbike here. We have truly loved this campground on our visits.

However...

Each year the bathroom gets a little worse. Cleanings are less and less frequent, and less effective. Last year, a child's bandaid was stuck to the bathroom floor for four days ... until I complained about the cleanliness. The next day, that bandaid was stuck to the wall just above the garbage can.

We are seasoned campers and we know that leaves, bugs, and ground litter track in on a regular basis ... but footprints on the walls? Piles of dead bugs and rotting leaves in every corner and behind every toilet? A ceiling vent so covered in spiderwebs that it doesn't look like its ever been cleaned? And showers that you don't want to step into, even with flip flops on.

The kicker this year was when I asked for the handicapped shower to be opened because I have trouble standing for a long time. And yet it remained locked on all weekdays.

As it's an otherwise wonderful campground located right where we need to be, we're on the fence, but strongly considering refilling our water tank from the spigot and showering in our own camper if we can. The restrooms have just become nasty.

9  Thank EffieRover